Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 1993 Indy 440 with 2600 miles on it. Been meticuloously cared for. All required maintenance has been done every year on this sled.

We were wondering if we could update the suspension. I saw somewhere that somone on this forum had done something like this. Actually put in a late model m-10 in an Indy sled.

If it is possbile what would be required?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
my friend had a 93 indy with that suspension. your on the right track wanting to swap it, it rides terrible! i would pick up a used edge chassis suspension for $300 and put that in it. if you can use a tape measure and install rivets its not hard. here are measurements. http://www.jbshocks.com/edgemount.JPG

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the track need to be replaced as well? Or will the orginal track work. It is almost new....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then all that needs to be done is redrill the mounting holes according to spec and rivet in support plates?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looked at the local used parts site Al's Used Parts in Vermount. Wants 400 to 500. for a used skid - Ouch. Will an extra 12 or m 10 work?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Originally posted by Rev5@Sep 24 2005, 07:44 PM
Just looked at the local used parts site Al's Used Parts in Vermount.  Wants 400 to 500. for a used skid - Ouch.  Will an extra 12 or m 10 work?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=890623
[/quote]
throw a wanted ad up here and check out a local swap meet. im sure you can get one cheaper. just about any suspension will work, i would stay away from an extra 10 though. a m 10 rides great, but you will never find one for less than $600. i think the edge is still your best bet. i emailed a guy that sells suspensions cheap. ill let you know if he has anything. if not im sure someone here will find one for you for $300 or less.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great - I'll check back tomorrow - by the way I live in NH. I assume shipping something like that would be expensive.

Mark

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
n2oiroc,

Did you hear anything regarding a used skid for a reasonable price?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
my only concern on this swap is the front suspension. the edge will sit up kind of high and with your narrow front end it might be a bit tippy. You can upgrade the front to longer travel and wider stance as well and have great handling machine but keep it in mind if you go the edge route. When I had an M-10 in a narrow front end sled I had similiar complaints and widened that sled. The extra 10 would go in and be fine with the narrow front end. The extra 10 will ride better that the stock set up but if this is for trail use I would get the extra 10 with the PPS shock. I believe the extra 10 monting is also on my site if you go that route. The edge suspension will fit and ride nice just keep the front in mind.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Originally posted by Rev5@Sep 24 2005, 08:32 PM
great - I'll check back tomorrow - by the way I live in NH. I assume shipping something like that would be expensive.

Mark
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=890695
[/quote]

i shipped a 650 triple form ontario to saskatchewan for 85 dollars candain plus the box, witch was 15 dollars, not to bad if you are getting a good deal on the skid

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Originally posted by Rev5@Sep 30 2005, 06:01 PM
n2oiroc,

Did you hear anything regarding a used skid for a reasonable price?

Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=901718
[/quote]
sorry i didnt get back to you sooner. he doesnt have any edges, just extra 10's for under $200.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got back from MO. Quick trip for a wedding.

It has been suggested that we consider an Extra 10. Would it be a worth while upgrade?

Would that be for a complete suspension?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Originally posted by Rev5@Oct 10 2005, 09:50 PM
Just got back from MO.  Quick trip for a wedding.

It has been suggested that we consider an Extra 10.  Would it be a worth while upgrade?

Would that be for a complete suspension?

Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=921360
[/quote]
yep, ready to bolt in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My son went to lower the track and found the adjustment bolts seized. Any suggestions how to break them loose?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
if you are just swapping the sled don't worry about it. JUst pull hte skid. It will be easier to loosen them with the skid out anyway. You ;probably wanted them loose to help get it out but you can get the skid out with them tight. Use PB breakway to loosen and then a little heat from propane torch. If that doesn't work you can grind the rivets off that hold the adjuster and replace the blocks and bolts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That was my initial thoughts. I'll get some PB and soak it. Probably will wrap back section of rail with a wet rag when I appy the heat.

A friend of mine told me to remove the middle idler wheels and release the tension on the springs. Said once that is done the skid will easily move up and down and makes taking it out and putting it back in much easier.

Any experience with doing it that way?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts