Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I am new to sledding and I am looking for a lot of advice/suggestions if you please. I have two boys 8 & 6. I want to get a Utility sled for myself and a small 250 or some sort of junior sled for my eldest and have my youngest on my own sled with me. I mostly want a rig for ice fishing but I also want to take the boys out on the trails once in a while. My vehicle is a 2014 CRV and I am thinking about getting either a truck or a Van. Will the CRV work? will a van pull a trailer with one adult and maybe 2 kids sleds? Also, what sort of trailer should I look for. What sort of sled should I look for (Skandic, Tundra, Pantera?) As you can see I don't know anything about the hobby but I really want to get set up and going this year.
Thanks for all your help.

Derek.

·
Registered
2004 RMK 800 - SOLD, 2003 ZR900 SP - RIP, 1998 Formula Z 583 - SOLD
215 Posts
You don't say anything about your budget, or how "handy" you are. When buying older, used sleds, expect they will need some work, and paying someone to work on them gets expensive quickly. You might want to look for one of the deals that pop up from time to time where someone is getting out of the sport, and selling a double trailer and 2 sleds to get into the sport affordably.

Towing a double snowmobile trailer can be taxing on a vehicle, especially if the trailer has a salt shield (think pulling a parachute down the highway), despite the relatively light weight of an aluminum trailer and 2 sleds. The CRV would struggle I'd think. A full size van or 1/2 ton truck would pull it no problem, even a mini-van should do alright as the V6's these days are pretty strong. In any event you'll want to make sure your vehicle has a 2" receiver hitch for a double sled trailer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ian,
I'm now looking at upgrading to a truck, something with 4x4. I'm also hoping to find a couple of not so old sleds and hopefully a used trailer. Right now I've got my eye on a 2010 Ski Doo Grand touring 600 for myself and a 2019 Yamaha Sno Scoot for the boys.
Derek.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Those would be two good models, otherwise try to find an older ski doo 340 or polaris indy lite, save some money on the sno scoot.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
for sure you'll want a 4x4 vehicle for towing a 2 place trailer.

If you plan to ride on the designated snoman trails you will need a snopass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts