Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got new helmet that came with single pane shield. can i just buy a breath box to eliminate fogging, or should i just go with an electric shield? or do i have to buy both?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
just got new helmet that came with single pane shield. can i just buy a breath box to eliminate fogging, or should i just go with an electric shield? or do i have to buy both?[/b]
If it was me I would just get the electric shield. I have had one on my helmet for four years now and will never ride without one again. Just my opinion though. :beerchug:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Funny, I used to ride with an electric shield, and the piece of crap would always fog up. We ride pretty hard, alot of boondocking and powder riding. I even replaced the nosepiece in it, played around with every possible vent combination, just wouldn't stop. Plus I didn't really like being tethered to the machine, just something else to break if I fell off. Everyone I ride with uses MX style helmets with No-Fogs and goggles, so I went to that combo at the end of last season. Haven't fogged up yet. And as far as warmth, I'm in Northern Manitoba, just south of Churchill, where we will often ride at -40, and haven't had any problems keeping warm.

Just my opinion, but if you ride hard and are working up a sweat, a MX is the only way to go. If you are just doing casual trail riding, an electric visor will do fine.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
You will get lots of thoughts on this subject. In the end you'll have to find what works best for you. Meaning what works for adamsledrider or jimsledrider or suzysledrider may not be the same for you. Best thing to do is find a helmet that fits your head to your liking from there depending on style of helmet you have a few options.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
you will need a double lens shield and a breath box no need for an eletric shield if you have a good helmet[/b]
:div20: This is the best post in this thread. :werd:

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
they have no fog wipes and sprays that you can just put on your shield. ive never used them tho so i have no idea on how good they work

·
Registered
166 Posts
you juxt have to figure out what works for you. Some people can seem to wear just about any style and not fog, myself I'm on my fourth helmet.
First was a Bieffe full face with double shield. Fogged bad and I had trouble getting my glasses on
Second was a HJC MX style with goggles (Scott OTG goggles), didn't fog but was too cold and still hard to get glasses on
Third was AGV Blizzard modular, Only would fog a little when very cold out. Super to use if you wear glasses
Fourth is a Polaris Ultimate modular style. I just bought this helmet this year and haven't had a chance to use it. I bought it because I liked the built in sun shield - I hate those sunny days when the sun comes through the trees and acts like a strobe light.
There are a lot of helmet styles and combinations - the trick can be finding the one that works best for you. If you have friends that ride maybe you can bum a few to try. My problem is I wear 3XL and nobody I ride with had one I could try that fit - not that many bucket heads.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have a hjc cl-14 helmet. i'm thinking about buying an electric shield for it, though they cost about 75.00. kinda steep. yo dardevil, your avatar is giving me a freakin' boner. that chick is freakin' scorchin'.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just bought some fog-x, made by rain-x and the shield still fogged up. but it is a single pane shield. maybe it would work with a dual lens, i don't know.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
NO FOG MASK!!!!!!!!!!! worth every 50$ i paid for it!!!!, can do outside move the sleds or turn them around, start them up and not a we smudge or fog. If you do get one just remeber to flip the flap and let it dry at night
best anti fog device out there IMO

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I use to do the elec shield full face deal. When you go to sno cross style helmet with goggles and no fog you will wonder one thing...what took me so long. The guys with the full faces have not tried this combo. You do not see professional racers with full face elec sheilds do ya? Way better visibility as well and the ability to go from amber lens (daytime preference) to clear lens (nightime preference) with the change of goggles (or lens). It is a great feeling also when you jump off your sled and rip the elec shield cord off...

·
Registered
924 Posts
I use to do the elec shield full face deal. When you go to sno cross style helmet with goggles and no fog you will wonder one thing...what took me so long. The guys with the full faces have not tried this combo. You do not see professional racers with full face elec sheilds do ya? Way better visibility as well and the ability to go from amber lens (daytime preference) to clear lens (nightime preference) with the change of goggles (or lens). It is a great feeling also when you jump off your sled and rip the elec shield cord off...[/b]
That's what I wondered as well. The temperatures we ride in are often just about as low as is possible for a machine, and haven't had any problems with cold. No-fog is key, with just a bellaclava, you will freeze. Pick up the No-fog headband for like $10 and you're golden. If not, I've seen lots of people get creative with small pieces of duct tape above the eyes around the goggles on the retardedly cold days (-45 and below) and be good.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I always seem to be waiting on the guys with the MX style helmets, because they are tucking kleenex in the cervices or ripping off pieces of duct tape. To each their own, whatever works for you works for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts