Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to snowmobiling and new to the forum but I got the bug real hard... and I ain't talking COVID. I'm planning on a buying a new sled downrange, but it's not in the near future so I want to make sure I maintain the one I have as best a I can. I got a 2001 Super Sport, in overall good shape, with 5000 KM (give or take 3000 miles). Been riding around the property mostly and some trail. I am looking to give it a good tune up this year, but I'm a bit intimidated and don't know where to start. there's lots of videos on you tube, sure, but not sure how much they apply to my sled or not. I have had an issue this year as well, the speedo gave up, which I know can indicate that the driveshaft bearing is going. I'm keen to do that repair, and tune up the overall machine, and if anyone would be so kind as to point me towards some good resources that'd be cool. Thanks !

·
Registered
943 Posts
Get a service manual and start reading would be my first suggestion. Start with the basics , changing spark plugs, changing chain case oil, adjusting track tension, replace fuel filter...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's a good place to start - I'll try and find the manual and go from there. Now if anybody has a good resource on changing the driveshaft bearing, that'd be A1.

·
Super Moderator
36,446 Posts
Thank you, that's a good place to start - I'll try and find the manual and go from there. Now if anybody has a good resource on changing the driveshaft bearing, that'd be A1.
Your info doesn't state where you're located, might help for parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi XCR1250, I'm in Eastern Ontario near Ottawa. There's a Polaris dealer about 30 minutes away. Called them about a tune up recently, won't do them til the fall, but he walked me through summerizing. Truth be told though, I'd sort of like to learn how to maintain and repair it. I already do my mower and my tractor's basic maintenance and since that sled is not massively expensive, I think it's a good place to start.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can find the service manuals all over EBAY, slightly used. The driveshaft bearing might not necessarily be going bad. I've had the speedo quit before and it was fine. There is a small square key that connects the driveshaft to the speedo drive unit which can break easily( its designed that way). The speedo cable could be just be dry from age and causing enough friction to snap the key. Also the at the end of the driveshaft there is a brass or steel bushing that presses into the shaft for the drive key to seat into, one of mine was bad from the factory and that bushing was just spinning in the driveshaft.
The bearing is not that bad to get to, loosen up the track tension at the back of the suspension skid and you can easily remove the 3 bolts holding on the speedo drive unit in front of the left footwell. The speedo unit is the outer flange for the bearing which is right there behind it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright manual on it’s way. In terms of watching videos and stuff, there’s hardly anything on the super sport but I understand in those years they were very similar. Would other 550 videos (touring, eg) be applicable?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes for what you are looking at disassembling in this case they are all relatively the same. Any video showing an Edge chassis (XC's, etc) should show you how to relieve the track tension and take this apart. You probably want to remove the secondary clutch to make things easier to get to. It just unbolts and slides off after you take the drive belt off( no special pullers for this one). Just make sure to pay attention to any shims, spacers and washers on that clutch jackshaft and that they go back in where they originally were since that affects belt alignment. The shims sometimes stick to the backside of the clutch housing when you are taking it off and you don't realize they are there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here's a good video showing everything you need to do in detail, its a Gen 2 chassis but its basically the same. You can ignore the parts with the chaincase disassembly and dropping/removing the skidframe, he is doing a track swap so it gets in even deeper than you are going.

·
Registered
2018 XCR Switchback 800
1,402 Posts
Would probably be a good time with that age and miles to drop the skid frame and go through it. All those wheel bearings should be checked and regreased or replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a good video showing everything you need to do in detail, its a Gen 2 chassis but its basically the same. You can ignore the parts with the chaincase disassembly and dropping/removing the skidframe, he is doing a track swap so it gets in even deeper than you are going.
Amazing! Thank you for that resource. I figure I should probably change the gearcase oil though, while I'm at it? I checked the oil level yesterday and it seemed good, colour was ok as well, but while I'm at it I figure... i did nto ride much last year, only 200 Miles, but this year I plan on really getting into it if I can get her into shape. A big thank you for that video, again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No problem, wish YouTube was around when I started working on these things many years ago.
If you're just changing chaincase oil, there's a drain plug in the bottom of the case. Which for some stupid reason they no longer provide in the new sleds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts