Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just picked up a 1998 Thundercat. I know there is no snow yet but just going through everything.
Was wondering what would be a good clutching setup for trail running. Have been looking at a Speedwerx kit but would like to know if anyone has any experience with this kit or what would I need for a good setup myself. TIA!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Stock clutching on them wasn't bad but there's always room for some improvement. Mike Miller (Snow800) sells kits guys like. you can PM him on here. It saves you the time/money buying parts and trying to dial it in perfect. Most stock cats are in the 58-62 gram weight range, most guys increase the engagement rpms to around 4000, secondary is somewhere around a stock helix of 57/50, 58/50, 58/48. 60/50, 60,48 sometimes with a yellow cat spring and sometimes a cat red spring. The old D&D kits came with a 60/40 helix but nobody here would recommend that in a stock sled. Get some traction on that sled..i.e. a taller lug track. They came with short lug .850 tracks and spin way too much.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes hopefully you get a hold of Snow800 great knowledgeable guy, I run his setup his was very close and he helped me fine tune it to my motor.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Congrats...they are awesome sleds...i've put many,many thousands of hard, trouble free miles on mine...keep an eye on water pump, and carb boots for cracks...I always started mine in the off season, and ran it on a stand,to keep everything fresh, including chain and gears..I firmly believe it contributed to longevity and i never changed first water pump seal 'til 12000 miles...:bc:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts