Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little brother wants to put a set of the 02+ style Mountian Cat handle bars on his ZL. What does he need to do, and will the stock cables work??? I would think it would just be a direct bolt in, correct???

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yeah you can put them on, I had them on my 98 ZR and now they're on my 2000 Powder Special.

If you are careful when cutting your grips off and when peeling the elements off you can reuse the elements. Worked good for me.

Your throttle block won't fit over the curved bar end of the MC bars. Cut about an inch off the MC bars and straighten out the rest of the curve. Use a vice and a torch and it's not too hard to do at all. If you want a curved bar end on this side you'll need an aftermarket end. I didn't feel it was needed, but you could if you wanted too.

Your brake side control can be modified to fit on without changing the curved bar end. You just have to cut a little out of the back of the control. It's easy, I used a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a cutting wheel. The peice you cut out is not needed for anything.

No cable issues with mine at all. Throttle cable and other wires were long enough. The throttle cable works with this set up because it just runs straight down. It's fine. The only modification you need to do is flex the brake line.

When buying the grips, get the set where one is longer than the other. These worked fine. Had to cut a little off each one because of how much room I was left with after putting on the handguard mounts. If you want handguards, I used Acerbis guards with PowerMadd universal mounts. Worked good.

I can't think of too much else. It's really not very hard to do and they are great bars.

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by bpinsk@Oct 21 2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah you can put them on, I had them on my 98 ZR and now they're on my 2000 Powder Special.

If you are careful when cutting your grips off and when peeling the elements off you can reuse the elements. Worked good for me.

Your throttle block won't fit over the curved bar end of the MC bars. Cut about an inch off the MC bars and straighten out the rest of the curve. Use a vice and a torch and it's not too hard to do at all. If you want a curved bar end on this side you'll need an aftermarket end. I didn't feel it was needed, but you could if you wanted too.

Your brake side control can be modified to fit on without changing the curved bar end. You just have to cut a little out of the back of the control. It's easy, I used a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a cutting wheel. The peice you cut out is not needed for anything.

No cable issues with mine at all. Throttle cable and other wires were long enough. The throttle cable works with this set up because it just runs straight down. It's fine. The only modification you need to do is flex the brake line.

When buying the grips, get the set where one is longer than the other. These worked fine. Had to cut a little off each one because of how much room I was left with after putting on the handguard mounts. If you want handguards, I used Acerbis guards with PowerMadd universal mounts. Worked good.

I can't think of too much else. It's really not very hard to do and they are great bars.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=946327
[/quote]

If I got a set with everything but the throttle cable and the brake tubing, would the stuck stuff be long enough???

·
Registered
533 Posts
If I got a set with everything but the throttle cable and the brake tubing, would the stuck stuff be long enough???[/b]
Yeah......mine was, and I also have a 2" riser block along with the MC bars, so they're really high.

You'll need to rehsape the brake line but it's pretty flexible so no big deal.

[attachment=107549:attachment]

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts