Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The New York State Department of Transportation is testing a material to see if it can reduce the wear and tear on roads caused by snowmobile track studs.

The DOT has installed four thermal-plastic road crossings in Lewis County.

"They are on designated trails so these are places where people cross...and we expect will continue to use that for crossing," said Michael Flick of the DOT.

The crossings are grey and are between 15 and 20 feet wide.

One can be found on Route 12 near Lyons Falls. Three others have been installed on Route 26 between Lowville and Constableville.

During the summer, the puncture holes in the crossings 'heal'. The hot temperatures cause the holes to close up.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Thats a Great idea, :div20: I often wondered if a material like a "hockey puck" would work at crossings. (No offense OT) The test will be what snowpows do to it!

·
Registered
125 Posts
That is such great news. Now I can cross at the new state speed limit of 55 MPH! Brrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! :banana: :beerchug: :luxhello:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Think they are only doing those few test spots this year to see how it holds up. I would like to see if the plows rip it up also though. Have some pictures of it being installed at work.. looked like some two part mixture being laid down.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mi and Wi have been putting down a two part epoxy for years and it holds up good. So simple that in some areas the clubs actually do the work and the county or town does the traffic control. This saves the county or town the labor expense and helps the club keep the trail.

United We Trail Divided We Fail

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yeah, I was going to comment and say the same thing that F250 said....

Inlet has two patches of concrete that seem to be holding up very well compared to the asphalt in Old Forge by the Pied Piper...

Question is, what is cheaper to do, the concrete or this stuff?

I'm guessing this stuff, or they wouldn't be testing it

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Not sure to be honest, but the bonus to the rubber is that its much easier to replace when the time comes. The concrete in Inlet we had to plate for 3 days each lane, it becomes time consuming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts