Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my "new" smart value replaced over a month ago and everything seemed fine until yesterday.

The day before yesterday I rode 110 miles on the same tank of gas, had about a gallon of usable left in the tank. Decided to take my son out for a quick loop. We went up and down a large hill in a sand pit and came home without incident. THe problem showed itself yesteday when I went to warm it up for the local rally ride. I gave it a few pulls and nothing. Pulled plugs and they were dry. I added some premix to each cylinder, put the plugs back in and it started right up and ran for 10 seconds. At this point I wasn't sure if it was the fue pump or other. I fished out the smart value and the rear one was collapsed. I pried it appart and it released. I dropped it back in the tank and it started and ran fine.

As a precaution I put a coat hander into my truck in case I need to do this on the trail. I wonder if a 'NEW" "NEW" smart value is in order.

1300 miles. 2 missed rides, a few loose nuts, and many hours of personal labor. This is the best handling sled I owned but its not the 'total package'. too bad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My F-7 was updated a few weeks ago. Never had problems with the smart valves. I was at the dealer the other day and overheard hime talking about them. I think he said that he updated them his own way. Not sure if he installed new ones or not. But he said something about drilling a small hole in one side of them that supposedly prevents them from doing that. Maybe I should check mine to see if he did that. If so I will be sure to note if I ever have that problem with this other method he was talking about. He wasn't too happy with cat this year. He didnt like there quality control on the firecats and all the updates have him very busy. He said he is so busy doing updates that he doesnt have much time to work on normal sled repairs. On guy in there said that cat will probably taking a beating business wise and not sell sleds as well. I guess he said he is selling them like crazy. Must be all the snow we are getting this year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem. My shop replaced the vlave with a new one from AC. But it wasn't enough. AC's solution was to drill one hole 1/40,000's of an inch in diameter into the side of the valve. My shop added another hole to the other side and this worked.
There has also been numerous complaints about bad gas from Mobil in New England. The mechanic said he found a white powdery residue on the valve filter.
Since then, no problems. But, I won't use Mobil again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts