Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a 96 special as well. The carbs were too big and flodded the enging at idle and low rpms. So check your plugs and tops of pistions. If they are black you will need to lean it down or else you will be buying a entire box of spark pulgs. (I found they were cheeper by the box!) But with the 38mm carbs it is hard to get them to run good on the top and start well without burning it down.

Fun little sled and awewsome sound.................I just got tired of putting cranks in it!

Have fun
Paul

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats man nice looking sled! I also have a 97 XLT. Mines an SP. Enjoy the ride![/b]
thank you. i had a 95 XLT but i was sick of riding that rough riding suspension so i went out and got a new one. now all i need is snow and it looks like its coming on wednesday and thursday

·
Registered
568 Posts
thank you. i had a 95 XLT but i was sick of riding that rough riding suspension so i went out and got a new one. now all i need is snow and it looks like its coming on wednesday and thursday[/b]
Now we get more snow! :dohdoh: Heading to the U.P. tomorrow and won't be back until late Sunday. Oh well I guess I will take the trade off! :smiley-faces7: Hope we still have some left when I get back?!

I think the first year you could get more than 8 inches of travel in the rear skid was 95 but the only three sleds poo offered with the x-tra 12 in them were the XLT Special, the RXL, and the XLT Touring. Then in 96 poo came out with the x-tra 10's for most of there sleds and and the x-tra 12 in the Special, RXL, & Touring sleds. Other than crank issues (pto bearing failures due to an insuficiant size on the oil hole which is easily fixed by adding an extra oil line over to the PTO side of the crank or enlarging the oil hole for the pto side.) in those old XLT's those were one solid sled. The great thing about those is they are very affordable now and make for an inexpensive way to get into the sport or stay in the sport. There's lots of em out there and it's pretty easy to find one around yet that doesn't have tons of miles on them and were well taken care of.

I had a sled almost identical to yours.....here is a picture.[/b]
cmanz28, They are almost identical. With the only exceptions being the skid plate and the steel skis that were on yours. Mine has no skid plate and has USI plastic skis. Here is a pic of mine!
[attachment=415715:Ride_12_26_07_005.jpg]

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Now we get more snow! :dohdoh: Heading to the U.P. tomorrow and won't be back until late Sunday. Oh well I guess I will take the trade off! :smiley-faces7: Hope we still have some left when I get back?!
I think the first year you could get more than 8 inches of travel in the rear skid was 95 but the only three sleds poo offered with the x-tra 12 in them were the XLT Special, the RXL, and the XLT Touring. Then in 96 poo came out with the x-tra 10's for most of there sleds and and the x-tra 12 in the Special, RXL, & Touring sleds. Other than crank issues (pto bearing failures due to an insuficiant size on the oil hole which is easily fixed by adding an extra oil line over to the PTO side of the crank or enlarging the oil hole for the pto side.) in those old XLT's those were one solid sled. The great thing about those is they are very affordable now and make for an inexpensive way to get into the sport or stay in the sport. There's lots of em out there and it's pretty easy to find one around yet that doesn't have tons of miles on them and were well taken care of.
cmanz28, They are almost identical. With the only exceptions being the skid plate and the steel skis that were on yours. Mine has no skid plate and has USI plastic skis. Here is a pic of mine!
[attachment=415715:Ride_12_26_07_005.jpg][/b]
There'll be plenty of snow when you get back, according to the forecast (if it falls, God willing). It's supposed to be colder than a witch's tit clear through the first part of next week.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I had a 96 special as well. The carbs were too big and flodded the enging at idle and low rpms. So check your plugs and tops of pistions. If they are black you will need to lean it down or else you will be buying a entire box of spark pulgs. (I found they were cheeper by the box!) But with the 38mm carbs it is hard to get them to run good on the top and start well without burning it down.

Fun little sled and awewsome sound.................I just got tired of putting cranks in it!
Have fun
Paul[/b]
I used to live in a big Polaris area, and everyone warned me about triples...I bet this is why. There were a lot of XLT's floating around that area at one point.

And that was an awful big carb for a 580 triple (big enough to feed a ZRT 800, which i believe had 38mm carbs as well). I'm pretty sure my ZRT 600 has 36mm carbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts