Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there just wondering what you people no about this sled my father and i picked up it is a 1996 polaris indy trail i belive it is a 488 because it is a fan it has 9000 miles track is decent its a nice sled it came with a trail pass and scaboose for 1700 bucks the engine has a new crank and pistion he said pistion i hope he meant pistions. it wont idle when u start it unless the chock is on then u ride it for a minute it idles liek a charm are these sleds like that? how many clicks is it good for? are these good sleds? top speeds? i want to no anything.
thanks sorry for all the writeing

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
The old 488 motor are a good motor but that is a lot of miles. I would like to see a list of all the parts they replaced when the motor was rebuilt. I would hope that the crank seals are also new. If the sled runs good when the motor is warm and only needs the choke for the first minute or two I would say that’s normal. Anything longer then a minute or two needing the choke on sounds kind of lean. That’s why I asked about the crank seals, bad crank seals will make it run lean as would a dirty carb or cracked carb boots.

And by the way :schild27:

:i_need_snow:

:mother_nature:

·
Registered
12,705 Posts
If they are treated right you should be able to get between 8000 - 10000 miles before you need to rebuild the motor. How long ago was yours done? I’m sure it will be good for quite a while yet. A sled with that many miles on it might need new drive shaft and jack shaft bearing if they haven’t been replaced yet. You should be able to hear them grind a bit when they get bad. If you’re looking to do some maintenance changing the chain case oil is never a bad idea.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah right now i have the skiies off i am repainting them after i get them on tommorow hopfully i am going to pull the rear skid out replace the sliders because one has a chunk out of it. after i get the rear end back in i well change the chain case oil it is on my list of things to do. since there is no god damn snow here i have lots of time to dick around on the sleds. my dirt bike is away no i must wait. damn mother nature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts