Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a new shop/garage over the winter in northern Minnesota.
The concrete slab was poured late fall early winter.
No sealer was put on the concrete as they covered it with insulated blankets asap to prevent freezing.

Question I have now is what should I do to seal or protect the concrete before I start filling the shop.

Epoxy coating would probably be the ultimate but not sure I want to go that far
I'm thinking just seal it but what about stains?
The shop is for personal use with snowmobiles, boats and ATV's
It will get oils and stuff spilt on it so looking for easier cleanup and not so dusty when sweeping

·
Registered
2016 ZR6000 (for now....)
1,476 Posts
I'm interested in this conversation since I am about to build a garage that will be mostly my workshop. I am concerned about what carbides (or studs) will do to any of these garage floor coatings. I'm thinking about just sealing it since it will be easier to touch up after being scratched than epoxy or any other coating.

Opinions?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Do you not use Dolly's or a cart? No way I would drive on any concrete I don't need to. Especially my own shop

·
Registered
389 Posts
Diamond Clear, or Vexcon clear sealer. Its about $125 for 5 gallons. It will protect your floor from stains nicely. I have been doing concrete flatwork since 1990 and thats what i would use. That epoxy looks nice, but is damn near as much as the concrete itself. Use a paintpan and just roll that sealer on like paint. Make sure to ventilate good until its dry

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'm picturing joe_f7's face when I pull my sled into his shop with my 6" carbides and 144 studs.

I have an epoxy coating I put on 15 years ago on a new floor. It looks close to new. But, I'm more careful with it than the hardwoods in my house.

Kind of a catch 22.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
correct me if I am wrong, but don't they MAKE concrete that is able to handle bull dozers and excavators on steel tracks?
not sure of the costs difference for the type needed, but pending how large a floor your doing, it might be worth looking into no??
once done last forever on just sleds I would think, if it can handle 100 ton dozers and crap?
here is a link

http://kalmanfloor.com/heavy-equipment/

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
My concrete is sealed and finished, with concrete, and a little of that spray on, squeegee around quick job, $75 sealer stuff. I don't drive my own sleds across it, because I like to keep my studs and chissels sharp. I wouldn't drive a bulldozer on it, but a subcompact tractor with chains, or a 20k lb. farm tractor with chains is fair game. I use gas or paint thinner to clean of heavy oil stains that $5 purple power ceaner doesn't handle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts