Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a bone stock 03 F7 with about 2100 miles on it. Last season everything was perfect but this year I'm having an odd problem which seems to have gotten alot worse in a short amount of time. I first had the sled idling and just take off by itself one day... .Very odd. Then, out in the trails I was having a problem where the clutch would just stick and almost stall unless I gradually rev'ed the clutch until it 'unstuck'. Now, about a hundred miles or so later, it's just plain stuck. It accelerates, but sticks at the end and wont disengage. It will stall no matter what I do. Basically, undriveable.

I'm searching around and seeing people mention the 'spider' but in most cases with much more miles than I have.

Any other ideas?
Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
368 Posts
the clutch needs to be removed and cleaned up the bushing in the spider is sticking to the center shaft of the clutch. usually need special tools to get the spider nut removed sent mine to the dealer after i took it out of the sled with a clutch puller.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same problem with my F5 a couple of years ago, it turned out the bushing was bad and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Loosen up the bolts that go through the weights and then just snug them down a bit. If you've done any work on the clutch and overtightened those bolts it will bend the towers in so slightly then when the spider goes out it will lodge itself in the towers and stick. If this dosent work the your main spider bushing is prolly hanging up on the shaft somewhere. Take the cover off and remove the spring. Then take the moveable sheave and go up and down and you will be able to tell where its hanging up. Good Luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions. I've never done any work to the clutch. Bone stock. I've burnt a belt or two... once trying to pull a friend out of an ice hole and my girlfriend burnt the other trying to take off with the brake locked. It sounds like the general consensus here is a sticky or bad bushing. Do I need special tools to remove the clutch and inspect? If so, are they typically stock items @ dealers and what am I looking at price wise? I've never done any work on a clutch before, when I remove it are parts going to fly everywhere or is it something a mechanically inclined person can re-assemble without a diagram?

Thanks Scott

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions. I've never done any work to the clutch. Bone stock. I've burnt a belt or two... once trying to pull a friend out of an ice hole and my girlfriend burnt the other trying to take off with the brake locked. It sounds like the general consensus here is a sticky or bad bushing. Do I need special tools to remove the clutch and inspect? If so, are they typically stock items @ dealers and what am I looking at price wise? I've never done any work on a clutch before, when I remove it are parts going to fly everywhere or is it something a mechanically inclined person can re-assemble without a diagram?

Thanks Scott[/b]
You will need a special clutch pulling tool about $30 to get the clutch off the sled. From there you will need more specialty tools to disassemble the clutch I.E. spider nut. It is not very mechanically challenging but you will need to heat the spider nut with a torch a little bit to soften up the loc-tite. I usually remove clutch and take to Livingstones for rebuild-maintenance. Call first and talk to Steve or Gene and see if you can wait while they do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts