Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of SPI pistons for my 98 zl 500 carb and I noticed they are the pancake style while the stock pistons are domed, so assuming I will have a little lower compression should I rejet anything or does anyone have any other kinds of tips to accommodate the new pistons.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just got a set of SPI pistons for my 98 zl 500 carb and I noticed they are the pancake style while the stock pistons are domed, so assuming I will have a little lower compression should I rejet anything or does anyone have any other kinds of tips to accommodate the new pistons.[/b]
If your stock from the factory pistons were actually domed, then you have the wrong SPI pistons. You will be loseing a considerable amount of compression which can only be gained back by extensive head mods. Are you sure the stock pistons were domed? I'm betting the stock ones are flat top pistons.

·
Premium Member
20,503 Posts
I believe they had the same basic dome shape as all cats...if the ones you baught look different, send them back as they are not right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just rebuilt my 98 ZL 500 and i bought the sled brand new, pistons are FLAT TOP. A previous owner put the wrong pistons in
your sled!
MIKE C.

·
Premium Member
20,503 Posts
I just rebuilt my 98 ZL 500 and i bought the sled brand new, pistons are FLAT TOP. A previous owner put the wrong pistons in
your sled!
MIKE C.[/b]

those 500s were hot, maybe that is why. I never opened one up.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for the confusion, the stock pistons in my sled ARE flat, I got the word from other threads on here that they were supposed to be domed so my bad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts