Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/Girls

Happy to say I'm a owner of a new 2006 Orange F7. Excited as could be for this winter, but i feel sorta Lame for not understanding how Centrifugal/Snowmobile clutches work. Anyone know of a good write up, i can read. I just cant seem to get a light bulb on over here

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Let's see if I can do this right...

The primary clutch located on the motor has a small diameter at idle. As RPM increases, weights (cam arms) force the two halves of the clutch together, moving the belt up to a larger diameter.
The secondary or driven clutch is at a large diameter at idle (a small drive wheel and a large driven wheel produces more power than speed) As the driven clutch picks up speed, the two halves are forced up a spiral ramp called a helix. This opens the halves making the diameter smaller( as the diameter of the drive clutch gets bigger and the diameter of the driven clutch gets smaller, you get close to a 1 to 1 ratio resulting in the maximum speed)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
:luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello: VERY WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
nice job

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome.. I can understand that. Sounds to be the same as Gearing principles for Under drive/Overdrive/Direct drive.

Here is where I'm still foggy. I was looking at the Primary/Driven and every time i imagine the cam arms under centrifugal force i see the arms pushing in the tower compressing the spring allowing the primary to move away further, where am i looking at this wrong< :cn:

·
Registered
968 Posts
order Olav Aeen's clutch tuning handbook, its worth the $25 just for reading material, It helped me to learn clutch tuning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts