Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to forum, have not sledded for a few years, sold my machines last year.
I recently moved to a snowy part of the state, and bought a new sled.
When I was last riding I gave up on glasses and wore a distance contact in left and a reader in the right.
It was a bit dry on eyes and took some getting used to, but I could read gauges, menus, gas pumps, as well as seeing down trail quite well.
I have an old hjc modular that treated me well, but it is time for a new brain bucket.
I would like to wear glasses if possible, and have a plug for a heated screen on my new sled, so a heated helmet/visor is probably in the cards.
Never wore goggles, the prescription models appeal, but I am 60 and alway wore full face or modular helmet.
So, 1- is there a helmet I can wear with glasses?
2- should I get re fitted for contacts? not the end of the world but rather not...
3- do I explore prescription goggles? If so, wondering about turn around time.
I have done a bit of searching, here and elsewhere but I am hoping you gents can point me in the right direction.
Not afraid to spend some money, just hope to get it right .
Thanks for your time, Russ

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem / question last year (just got back into snowmobiling / eye glasses / helmet.
I did a lot of research/googling and most threads recommended the BVS2 or the Skidoo modular 3.
In the end I ended up with the CKX Titan with heated goggles/battery and purchased the prescription eye glasses with small frames to fit under the goggles.
The CKX Titan is not sold in the USA ..only sold in Canada so I has to order it from Peak boys Canada and have it shipped to Minnesota. You can also order the CKX Titan on ebay.
Some say that the goggle MX style snowmobile helmet will not keep your face warm on the trail but I did not get cold as I purchased the CKX Titan balaclava.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As you did, I use two different contacts. No fussing with foggy glasses or putting them on and off through the helmet. I can see everything. As you must know, you get used to the different correction contacts rather quickly.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I also for many years now 2 different contacts ( near and far sighted) and 99% of time use snocross helmet with 100% Race Face goggles.
Only use full face when -40 or freezing rain.
Cannot wear glasses tried every type of combo and could not find one I liked and that did not give me grief.
Have a friend who uses 509 goggle with fan, never has any issues with glasses fogging.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Insane Madcatter
469 Posts
I use a 509 Altitude Helmet with a Pro-Vue lens.
It works great except when its very cold, I am thinking about getting heated goggles then having pro-vue put my glasses prescription in them.

·
Registered
2018 Rush 800 Pro-S, 2021 Matryx Switchback Assault 850
78 Posts
I switch to my sports glasses (i have dark, red, and clear lenses for my shades) so they sit closer to my face and don't fog as bad. I've had no issues with my 509 Altitude with Sinister X6 gogs. For my Delta R4 i had to pull the nosepiece out because it was fogging up the glasses, otherwise it worked well as long as it was plugged in.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
been wearing contacts for distance since i was 17 , now 54. started struggling with close up , and the distance lenses didn't help. went and got fitted for multifocal lenses. holy shit, these things changed my life. distance the same, but mid and close range are much improved. air optix is the brand i use but there are others.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wear contacts with a ski doo modular 2 with no problems. This helmets just flat out works, never at any temp has it fogged. Yes the mouth piece is a pain and takes a bit of getting use to. I’ve worn glasses with this helmet and have had no problems as well. My difficulty with glasses is an extreme prescription in one eye makes the glasses heavy(one eye is about 4 points worse than the other eye). Tom

·
Registered
153 Posts
I will add, I was talking to a dealer today and he said if you go with a MX style helmet DO NOT go cheap on goggles and balaclava. He said people will buy a top of the line helmet and then cheap out on goggles and balaclava and then they aren’t happy. Again his words not mine, I have no experience with MX style helmets but thought I would pass it along.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an eye appointment in two weeks, I will probably go with lenses again, hopefully they will still work, I am far beyond multi focal unfortunately...
Thanks for all the input guys.

Russ

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I found nothing worked until I went MX when I still had glasses. Klim Arctic is your friend for the cold days

1 - 11 of 11 Posts