Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the wife a new ride last week. Bought it long distance and had it hauled in from Richmond Va. Figured it probably hasn't seen salt but knew it was a gamble. Problem is its so clean (and luxurious) I don't see myself being able to drive it upstate in the slop. Now I'm thinking about selling her Jetta and my PT Crusier and getting something like a ten year old XL V8 4x4 F-150. I see I can find them pretty easily for around 12k bucks with 100k on them. Anything to avoid with those trucks or to watch for? I think thats the trusty manifold rotting 5.4 triton right?

Attachments

·
Super Advanced Member
2,227 Posts
The reverse camera's are super nice, I made sure my Elevation had it when I bought my Truck. The older F150's are pretty good, they just rust out real bad and you will work that 4.6L if your pulling on inclines. I see you bought a new Explorer, are you considering an older one of them? As far as the Ford Explorer, they (older ones) have a fucking terrible transmission history. Even real nice ones from the early to late 2000's sell for Peanuts at auctions. Some of my shop friends use the term 'glass tranny'.
itstillruns.com said:
Many consumers report a transmission failure occurring with their Ford Explorer after only 50,000 or fewer miles of normal driving.
Not all of them are bad, think the V8 version gets the better transmission, if you buy an Explorer make sure you get the V8 as it usually comes with the beefier tranny.
I remember many years ago before I bought my 2004 AWD V6 Sante Fe at a dealer only car auction, I was looking into Explorer's and really liked their size, features and look, great winter rat for pulling a small enclosed/clamshell, just make sure you do some homework on the driveline.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We got so lucky with this purchase I think I'd have a southern truck hauled in to hopefully avoid the rot. I honestly don't know what trans is in our new to us '16 Explorer Sport but its got the twin turbo 3.5 ecoboost so I hope its up to the task. It has 13 months and 12k miles left of fords powertrain warranty on it. Anybody else have good/bad to report on the '08ish F-150's?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Got the wife a new ride last week. Bought it long distance and had it hauled in from Richmond Va. Figured it probably hasn't seen salt but knew it was a gamble. Problem is its so clean (and luxurious) I don't see myself being able to drive it upstate in the slop. Now I'm thinking about selling her Jetta and my PT Crusier and getting something like a ten year old XL V8 4x4 F-150. I see I can find them pretty easily for around 12k bucks with 100k on them. Anything to avoid with those trucks or to watch for? I think thats the trusty manifold rotting 5.4 triton right?
4.6 AND 5.4 tritons have timing chain problems, oil pump problems, spark plugs breaking off in the head and of course the infamous broken exhaust studs/rotted manifolds, plus frame rot issues. Find one with a 5.0 or get a GM or Ram

·
Registered
40,287 Posts
As far as rust the rams are the worst here. A buddy had a 2012 ram with 91k miles on the od that was worthless when he wanted to get rid of it last year....the frame and entire rear bed of the truck was nothing but rot.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
4.6 AND 5.4 tritons have timing chain problems, oil pump problems, spark plugs breaking off in the head and of course the infamous broken exhaust studs/rotted manifolds, plus frame rot issues. Find one with a 5.0 or get a GM or Ram

Ya the cam phasers suck on the 5.4, one of my friends found that out first hand.

What billp said, 5.0L ford or GM/RAM

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard of the spark plug issue already but I think most agree its when they are left in too long say changed for the first time at 100k. The oil pump and chain issues I haven't heard of so I'll dig a bit on that one! The rot is my biggest concern. Buying a truck that is unusable vs. worn out is a double kick in the dick.

·
Registered
40,287 Posts
Found its best on motors with aluminum heads to just buy the el'cheapo spark plugs and coat the threads very lightly with never seize, replace them every 30k miles...i guess thats if the manufacture made it easy to change them. Only takes me 20 minutes on my 4.7 v8 tundra.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just found its 2011's and up with the 5.0 They appear to hold their value better. :wall:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I think rust on all three makes will be the problem when they are ten years old. It's not right and the consumer is getting screwed on them, but that's how it is. A person has to be extremely vigilant to slow down the corrosion on pickups. Im a Dodge man myself, but looking at a ten year old half ton pickup, a Toyota might be the best idea. The Ford's do have the mentioned cam chain problems and the spark plug problem. Now that I don't have a large camper to haul, my next truck might be a yota.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just drive the Explorer... I'd rather be driving the nice reliable vehicle in the isolated areas near riding country.

It's just a car, you can get a new one in 10 more years. :dunno::dunno: My wife has a 2017 Platinum Explorer with the Ecoboost 3.5 and I have a 2015 F150 with the same Ecoboost 3.5. The Explorer tows fine, the trailer will move it around a little but it's totally fine. I'd choose the truck if I had a choice but buying one just to tow a few times a year wouldn't be my choice.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Was the 5.0 an option during the '08 time frame?
5.0 didnt come out til around 14, so you would definitely spend more to get one. Spark plug issue I believe was more dependent upon type of driving. they're a 2 piece spark plug and the carbon builds up on the bottom part, when you try to remove them they break. If you do a lot of highway driving you tend to have less carbon buildup. But they dont recommend changing them till 100k, so follow the manufacturers recommendations and get fucked anyway. And yeah, I forgot the cam phaser issue in my list. Triton motors were OK, but I'd try to avoid a used one unless you know the history of it. The other problem with them is they changed them a lot and there's a lot of cases where an engine fits 2-3 yrs of truck only even though they used them for 15 yrs or better and reman ones are NOT cheap.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's just a car, you can get a new one in 10 more years.
Thats what the wife says. But if we can unload both our cars which should be nice and affordable for some high school kids a truck would help me greatly with our current home renovations over this winter. (I'm a weekend general contractor) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40,287 Posts
I think rust on all three makes will be the problem when they are ten years old. It's not right and the consumer is getting screwed on them, but that's how it is. A person has to be extremely vigilant to slow down the corrosion on pickups. Im a Dodge man myself, but looking at a ten year old half ton pickup, a Toyota might be the best idea. The Ford's do have the mentioned cam chain problems and the spark plug problem. Now that I don't have a large camper to haul, my next truck might be a yota.
Toyotas aren't perfect, but they are better imo. At almost 20 years old and over 350k miles the frame on my tundra is showing its age. Bodywise not a speck of rust anywhere, and i'm not much for any cleaning type maintenance. I think the current crop of gm trucks are best of the big 3 as far as rust goes.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
5.0 didnt come out til around 14, so you would definitely spend more to get one. Spark plug issue I believe was more dependent upon type of driving. they're a 2 piece spark plug and the carbon builds up on the bottom part, when you try to remove them they break. If you do a lot of highway driving you tend to have less carbon buildup. But they dont recommend changing them till 100k, so follow the manufacturers recommendations and get fucked anyway. And yeah, I forgot the cam phaser issue in my list. Triton motors were OK, but I'd try to avoid a used one unless you know the history of it. The other problem with them is they changed them a lot and there's a lot of cases where an engine fits 2-3 yrs of truck only even though they used them for 15 yrs or better and reman ones are NOT cheap.
5.0 came out in 2011. They also have t-chain issues over a 100k.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts