Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up a partial but extensive New Hampshire GPS map that's freely available for download on my site. On Garmin GPSs it can be drawn over Garmin's Topo or City Navigator software, and it's also available for Magellan (Explorist and Meridian series), and Lowrance GPSrs. This is a real GPS map like what you'd buy from Garmin or Magellan, not just tracks and waypoints. Installation instructions are posted on the download pages.

Many thanks to polarisprox, John Briscoe, and Donald Dike for contributing data for the map.

If you have any problems with the maps, please let me know. Enjoy!

http://www.gpssledmaps.com/maps/

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
wow, thats great.
i have a garmin Nav system, its the Nuvi 650, any idea if i can put these on that?
im new to this stuff. lol

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo mounted to my sled and would like to have it be able to do tracks and down load the maps. At age 62 this is all " GREEK " to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo mounted to my sled and would like to have it be able to do tracks and down load the maps. At age 62 this is all " GREEK " to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks[/b]
im 27 and part greek and it makes no since to me either, dont feel bad. lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to Garmin's site you can add maps to the Zumo, but it doesn't say anything about tracks.

Do you have Garmin's Mapsource software? How do you put maps on your GPS? Or do you use what came pre-installed?

I've never even seen a Zumo in person so I'm flying blind, but several people have asked the same question so I'd like to figure it out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, thats great.
i have a garmin Nav system, its the Nuvi 650, any idea if i can put these on that?
im new to this stuff. lol[/b]

I don't have a specific procedure for you, but someone reported to me that he got it to work on a Nuvi 200 using Mapsource. If you don't have Mapsource, you can get it for free by doing this:

First, download and install a copy of Garmin’s free Training Center software, designed mainly for use with their fitness GPS units (ForeRunner and Edge). Once this software is installed, you can download and install the MapSource update file, and the full version of MapSource will be up and running on your computer (confirmed this on a system of my own). (posted by poiklk)

Then you can install the NH map into Mapsource and install it that way. I just wrote the guy who posted the above instructions for Mapsource to see if he can give me a little more detail on actually loading the map. I'll report back here with whatever I hear.

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
I don't have a specific procedure for you, but someone reported to me that he got it to work on a Nuvi 200 using Mapsource. If you don't have Mapsource, you can get it for free by doing this:

First, download and install a copy of Garmin’s free Training Center software, designed mainly for use with their fitness GPS units (ForeRunner and Edge). Once this software is installed, you can download and install the MapSource update file, and the full version of MapSource will be up and running on your computer (confirmed this on a system of my own). (posted by poiklk)

Then you can install the NH map into Mapsource and install it that way. I just wrote the guy who posted the above instructions for Mapsource to see if he can give me a little more detail on actually loading the map. I'll report back here with whatever I hear.[/b]
i will have one of my buddys check it out see what we can find, but that is a great thing to have!

·
Registered
473 Posts
According to Garmin's site you can add maps to the Zumo, but it doesn't say anything about tracks.

Do you have Garmin's Mapsource software? How do you put maps on your GPS? Or do you use what came pre-installed?

I've never even seen a Zumo in person so I'm flying blind, but several people have asked the same question so I'd like to figure it out.[/b]
I used Mapsource to load the NH topo map, but if we ask it to take us from one place to another it does only straight line as the crow flies. Also the topo does not have any of the trails on it. Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The topo maps don't have routing data like City Navigator does, so it can't create routes or give directions.

If you have Mapsource and want to use my NH map, download the "Mapsource Installable" version, run it (with Mapsource NOT running) and follow the installation wizard, and then run Mapsource and select the NH trails map along with the Topo sections you want, and send it all to the GPS.

·
Registered
653 Posts
im shopping now for a gps for riding. whats the best to get? can we send you our data to add to the maps?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the trail maps.
Saved the file to my computer and installed it.
Opened it up in my Mapsource Topo. Selected the area and transferred to my Legend.

Problem is the transfer removed my topo before installing your mapset. So now I have your map
but no topo info.

Is there something I missed that would keep the topo and just overlay your maps?

thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem is the transfer removed my topo before installing your mapset. So now I have your map
but no topo info.[/b]
Whenever you send maps to your GPS, it will erase whatever was there before. What you need to do is select the NH map and the sections of your topo map you want, and upload it all at once.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whenever you send maps to your GPS, it will erase whatever was there before. What you need to do is select the NH map and the sections of your topo map you want, and upload it all at once.[/b]
Just reviewed your Mapsourse instructions and I see what you mean. I'll reload tonight and let you know how it went.

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Loaded up your NH maps along with my topo maps.
Worked fine.
Pretty good mapset of northern NH.

Thanks, I'll be using it this weekend!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's working for me. Are you still having problems?[/b]
No luck, even restarted my computer and tried clicking on the website from the post, and googled it and clicked, no luck. Seems like a cool site and can't wait to try it. I'll try again later.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts