Hardcore Sledder banner
321 - 340 of 681 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I think the gas tank on that green/black ZR looks too small, too small to be a trail sled anyway. Even the Doo with a lot of tank behind the seat only holds 9.5 gallons.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bet that whoever released those photos has been having a good laugh at everybody analyzing and trying to figure out what the heck it is!! I just hope that whatever it is, it has its own look and not any resemblance of the doo.
If photoshopped they spent some time on it. Adding some cat features to the basic doo shape.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've never ridden a Matryx but last summer I had in my garage a Matryx 850 129" ES, an Axys 600 144" ES, and an Axys 800 120" pull start. Just moving them around by hand the Matryx felt significantly heavier than the two others. So if a Matryx isn't heavier than a Procross, it's still gotta be pretty close based on the Old Forge weigh-in of 22 pounds more than a Doo. I have a Renegade 600R now and I would guess it feels at least 22 pounds less than the Matryx I had (static weight).
The Matryx isn’t night and day different or better than the Axys in ergos. I know, I own both. Sure, the Matryx is easier to move around on and slide forward on but it honestly isn’t that big of a difference. Certainly not as much as they like to hype it up to be.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have MAD respect for people who can tell a 5 to 10% difference in the weight of a snowmobile🙄(same chassis), that's a highly tuned individual. Same goes for the guy that can tell the difference between 34.5 psi and 35psi in their street bike tires🙄. All I know is that they all feel like a pallet of bricks when they're buried to the handlebars.
So you can’t tell 10% of 520 lbs or 50 lbs ? Come on man.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hopefully they will ship this years sleds with the shocks installed.
They haven't shipped them with the front shocks installed for a long time. The front shocks come in a box strapped to the side of the unit so that the front end height can be reduced in order to fit the unit into a smaller crate. This is why it is especially funny when people rag on the manufacturer about front shock orientation when it was the dealer who didn't perform the installation correct in those situations.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is the Blast a pyramid frame chassis???
To answer your question, yes.

Additionally, ski-doo's patent for the "pyramid" frame chassis ended a couple years ago and is therefore irrelevant to the blast or the new chassis. The winter that the "stop-sale" happened in Canada was literally the last year that patent was valid as it expired the following summer.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Snowmobile.com lists the ProCross 800 at 521 lbs………Matryx 850 at 467 lbs.

Where or how these sleds are 54lbs part is beyond me.
In my garage sitting side by side is a 2017 SR Viper and a 2021 Matryx 650. I won't compare sled weight as the Viper has a 4S and it's not a fair fight. I've also often wondered about the significant differences in weight. However, when you start pulling panels away and do routine maintenance on the sleds it starts to make sense. Steel covers instead of aluminum, 4 bolts instead of three, the Cat seat is heavy, the Cat over structure is significant and heavy, the Matryx is carbon fiber, the Cat 137 skid is significantly heaver that the Matryx 146...the list goes on. It definitely a case of death by 1,000 paper cuts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Does not make up the extra 50 cc's. Cat or anyone could sell there 800-850 at the same price as the difference in cost is very little. So would an 800 be in the 600 class then? Just asking. Can you race the 650 in the Cor power sport 600 class?
People stopped caring about engine sizes for race classes when grass drags and oval racing lost popularity. The factory race sleds are 600cc now but nowhere close to anything available to the consumer. Maybe the cross country sleds but even then, they're very different.

Even at that Cat has used the same playbook at times like the 80's and 90's.
SkiDoo Plus - 521
Indy 500 - 488
Cat EXT - 530/550/580

Ski Doo Mach 1 - 617
Indy 650 - 650
Cat Wildcat - 700

Vmax4 - 750
Polaris Storm - 750
SkiDoo Mach Z - 789
Cat Thundercat - 900

See? Nobody cares...

·
Registered
172 Posts
In my garage sitting side by side is a 2017 SR Viper and a 2021 Matryx 650. I won't compare sled weight as the Viper has a 4S and it's not a fair fight. I've also often wondered about the significant differences in weight. However, when you start pulling panels away and do routine maintenance on the sleds it starts to make sense. Steel covers instead of aluminum, 4 bolts instead of three, the Cat over structure is significant and heavy, the Matryx is carbon fiber, the Cat 137 skid is significantly heaver that the Matryx 146...the list goes on. It definitely a case of death by 1,000 paper cuts.
What?????? Death by a thousand Cuts? From the carbon fiber and aluminum foil rails? I will take strength and durability over 45-50 lbs any day.

321 - 340 of 681 Posts