Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Here's my guess for fun, Obviously a new headlight, body panels, ergos (seat, handle bars) New gauge with GPS, no new base engines but a 2 stroke turbo for mountain, Tweaked front and rear suspension but nothing groundbreaking. Probably make the rear more adjustable for all these guys wanting the wheelie/playfulness feel. 25-30 lbs lighter, updated switch gear for new gauge, and a better tunnel bag storage system.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm fine with the gage. Tells me everything I need to know.
After running the 7s display, going back to the 1980s digital display is no Bueno. I suspect that's the case for a lot of people. Having the built in GPS and being able to switch screens with a push of the thumb is awesome. We get off trail and ride different areas often, so its nice to be able to track back. I haven't used the buddy system but id imagine that's pretty sweet knowing where the group is.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Problem is that unit has to stay with the machine. I bought the Garmin Tread and use it for my ATV in the spring through fall, then put it on my sled for winter use. Works great by the way. Way cheaper price compared to the one use 7s in my humble opinion.
Yea I get it and have done that on my procross sleds for years. I liked having the built in option. No adding brackets and worrying about someone lifting it at the restaurant. Easy to zoom in and out while riding. It just works and is one less thing to think about. Trust me, before i tried it for a season, I wasn't about it at all.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Two screws and one hole to run the wires. Easy on, easy off and works great with gloves. On my Alterra, it was plug and play. Super simple. To each there own. I am frugal I guess. Rather spend more on the machine than on a gauge. I can even use the Tread in my vehicle so actually a year round plus use for under $600.00
I guess that's why there's options. Like poo, you can order it with or without through different models. There's no right or wrong, just different likes, needs, and opinion's.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
It will be nice if they make it an option to upgrade so everyone can get what they want. That is if they’re even coming out with a “fancy” gauge. Guess we will find out soon enough. It’s not a deal breaker for me but I do like the tech stuff. Most importantly will be the ergos (seat) and diet it has. IMO

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The curent digital gauge has to go. I don't expect a fancy GPS but the old analog / digital combination gauge was nicer than the all digital unit. They could bring that back for the base unit.

Be careful what you wish for. The 7S display is something like a $1,200 option.
Yep and I thought it was worth every penny. The out dated procross and gauge sled cost just as much as the 7s sleds this year. So I guess if I’m gonna pay, I’d take the 7s.

And this is all my opinion fellas. I’m not right or wrong and either is the guy who doesn’t want it.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Two comments on the gauge, cat subcontracts out to a company for the gauge, at least for the last one they did. Unfortunately my coffee level isn’t high enough to remember the name.
Way back before the 23’s were released, someone posted a picture of cats tablet gauge, which turned out to be an engineering sample. It had a ton of features, but the comment from someone (can’t remember if it was on here or other sites) basically said that the 7s is like a etch a sketch compared to what they were working on.
I hope he’s right, because, again, it would mean cat is trying to lead again.
Go Cat Go!
Let’s just hope it’s not over complicated like Doos first gps gauge. What a nightmare that thing looks like to use. Not to mention you still need your phone to use the gps portion. Let’s not even talk about the stupid dial on the side of tank to control it…..Yikes!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Take a look at a blast hood, the new hood is a close resemblance
Exactly what I was saying, along with the seat. I don't think it looks like a ski doo at all (if these are real). Not sure why people get so upset over this stuff LOL.

There's going to be a shit storm of cry babies no matter what they do.... I wouldn't want to be any of the manufactures with this new age of instant temper tantrums. Good grief!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I don't think many will argue that it's time for a 2 stroke update on the 600 and 800 regardless of their little change up they did for 2020. Are they horrible? nope. They can certainly use a little more punch and refining though IMO. I logged many miles on both the ctecs and enjoyed them all. It's just time....

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Look at the facts. Not inflation. When the 650 was introduced it was essentially the same MSRP price difference less than 850, that the 800 was the previous year.

I'm not sure where you got your numbers from but the Polaris website lists the 650 VR1 137 at 476 pounds dry. This is without electric start. Cat doesn't publish weights but at the Old Forge shootout last year the ZR6000 weighed in at 22 pounds more than the skidoo 600R 137. Skidoo lists their sled at 470 pounds dry. So taking the fluids out, the Cat would be 492 pounds dry which is less than a VR1 with comparable electric start.
Ride one, I assure you the weight difference is not only noticeable while riding, go move them around in the garage, it’s not even close.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I've never ridden a Matryx but last summer I had in my garage a Matryx 850 129" ES, an Axys 600 144" ES, and an Axys 800 120" pull start. Just moving them around by hand the Matryx felt significantly heavier than the two others. So if a Matryx isn't heavier than a Procross, it's still gotta be pretty close based on the Old Forge weigh-in of 22 pounds more than a Doo. I have a Renegade 600R now and I would guess it feels at least 22 pounds less than the Matryx I had (static weight).
Id have to see the numbers from that. Last I recall the cat was right around 40ish lbs heavier.

Regardless, the vr1850 weighs the same as a comparable vr1650, which is lighter than cats 600, so the 850s HP per LB is exceptional. Hopefully cats new "lighter weight" sled is just that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.