Hardcore Sledder banner

Who would buy a triple.

• Example: Triple would cost an extra $5,000 for 10hp extra over a twin.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Example: Triple would cost an extra $10,000 for 20hp extra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Example: Triple would cost an extra $20,000 for 50hp extra

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I like the new design. I was 3 feet from the Riot version when they pulled the cover off. I bet it will be light. And the 600 probably will haul it through the twisties just fine. I’d really like to see this in 129 or even 121 track versions. Perhaps I’m old school, but the trail handling of the shorter tracks have a fun factor to them that the 137’s just can’t do. Really hoping they will offer it in something shorter than a 137.

One other thing I’ve never quite understood is the whole massive flatscreen units. I look at a screen all day long for work. (We’re all looking at a stupid screen right now writing and reading these things). I jump on my sled to ride. Speed, tach, temp, fuel…and I’m good to go. But I get that most want more. And it seems like an easy place for them to make it happen. Screens and head units are a dime a dozen. Partner with Garmin or Humminbird or whoever and shoehorn it in there. But I still don’t get it.

My 2 cents anyway.

Let’s keep this thread positive. I’m super excited for the new Cat. Probably buy the 600. Give it to my wife and/or kids when the big bore comes out and finally have what I want.

·
Registered
287 Posts
One other cool tidbit about the belt drive: I was talking to the engineer standing by the ZR at hay days…he said that belt drive pulleys are designed to be changed relatively easily. Thus allowing for different gearing ratios. Of course, we’ve been doing this for years with chain drives as well. But would be cool if this turns out to be a quick 15 min job. No gear oil.

I’m kinda excited about the belt drive. So long as it holds up…it’s got a lot of advantages.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I’m one of us who would buy a triple again. And I’d pay a premium for it. All this talk about manufacturers being so smart…it’s BS. Cost and EPA regulations took out the triple. No doubt the twins perform good and are lighter. But damn…the sound of a triple.

If any of the manufacturers came out with a triple…they would sell out in a heartbeat. I’d be the first one to dealer with my checkbook

·
Registered
287 Posts
The triples potentially have a place in "come back buyers" also. I'm 50 and was up to my eyeballs in the sports in my 20's and early 30's. Started a family, got into other things and stepped away form the sport for a while. Now that my kids are older, I have more time on my hands and more discretionary income. While I think one of the biggest challenges the sport has is to get younger riders in, I also feel the OEM's need to capitalize on riders like me. Create models that conjure up memories of the 90's/early 2000's. The car manufacturers did this with the Mustang and T-bird and the HHR and the PT cruiser with the Baby Boomers. Harley built an empire on the same philosophy to the same demographic. No reason the sled builders can't do the same thing.

Polaris has dabbled in this with the graphics kits you could buy for the Shift sleds and the vintage AXYS graphics from a couple years ago. IMO, that went too far back. Arctic Insider sells graphic kits that bring back the 90's. There's something to this is you ask me.
Yep. You’re exactly onto it. There is a massive number of us sledders who grew up riding in the 90’s with triples. And many of us have done fairly well and have some disposable income that we’d probably gladly blow on a triple. Hope the manufacturers are reading this thread…

·
Registered
287 Posts
Because the return on investment is terrible when you look at the R&D, tooling, and EPA certifications cost against the actual sales numbers / revenue potential. Plus a boosted motor would out perform at NA triple 2-stroke. And except for the lake and really big field, a capable rider on a newer 600 2-stroke can beat the more powerful sleds on a trail with turns and such.

Plus when the radar gun and the stop watch comes out, the NA triple 2-strokes are not as fast as everyone remembers.

I understand what you are saying. Good points. But you are also coming at this from the perspective that maximum speed and maximum performance is all that matters. Reality is not that. There are many other pleasures of snowmobiling that have nothing to do with radar guns and flat-out performance when riding on the ragged edge.

One of those pleasures is the ohhhh so sweet sound that a triple 2 stroke puts out.

If one of them built a triple…I’d bet they’d sell out their production quota in spring check sales within 24 hours.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah I’m not buying the “little fairy tale” story. Apples and oranges. Anyone trying to compare a 600RR race sled spec to what we are all trying to say here about a beautiful sounding triple…is totally missing the story.

Anyway…

I think the point is coming across. Those of us that desire a triple are trying to convince the manufacturers to build one…not everyone to love them. If you love twins…awesome. I actually do too. They perform well. And are light. But I still want a triple and so do many others. I’m still a firm believer they’d sell big time.

But to each their own. Hopefully we all still get to have the good fortune of 4 manufacturers and multiple different kinds of sleds from 440 to 900cc…2 stroke to 4 stroke…turbo to naturally aspirated…light to heavy…165” tracks to 129”…

Point is…the variety is awesome and they all have a place in the market. Including a 2 stroke triple. The first one to do it will reap the rewards.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice try, but physics is physics. hp is hp no matter how you try to spin it. Can triple be made to make more power? YES. Does a 125 hp triple make more power than a 125 hp twin? NO. It's like the old "what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pounds of steel" question... Is a12" piece of wood longer than a 12" piece of aluminum? See where I'm going with this?
The peak HP number is just one single brief moment in time on the dyno curve. It’s not like you get on a sled and it’s got 2 speeds…idle and peak HP. The total power underneath the entire dyno curve make a HUGE difference. Furthermore, some engines can peak at 125 HP and then fall off like a cliff. Some engines can peak at 125 HP and then hold longer. Power bands matter…far more than the one number that everyone focuses on…

study up…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts