Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
When did dirt bikes first go to a rear mono shock?
I remember going from 2 shocks to one around 1981?
Actually 74 -75 where the first ( Yamaha) I remember it well as was just getting heavily in the sport seriously. I had Suzuki RMs in 76-77 then jumped ship to Yamaha monoshock. Qualified for the first time in 78 on a Yamaha to the Pontiac MI supper cross. Raced and qualified for several yrs after also. Spent many yrs ( on numerous Yamahas) in the sport retired from racing at age 26-27 riding my last 5yrs in open A on Honda CR500s best times of my life.. for kicks shortly there after I tried and ran GNCC ATV ( open 4stroke) racing and took a bronze metal at the nationals, just missing a silver metal. That was a trip! There , I just gave up how old I’m getting....

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,160 Posts
I had a 79 Yamaha DT 175 with mono. Oil injected also. I rode that thing all over northern Wisconsin when I was in middle school. Took the snowmobile trails to work. This was in the '90s mind you. Bike was in great shape for 20 plus years old at the time.

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
To be honest, I was a C+ rider in '80, competing with others of my kind. The Can-Am's got a lot of views of my KDX tailight. Not so much the KTM's and Husky's. Very few in our snack bracket back then were riding Euro bikes.:(
I wish i started with the euro bikes earlier, they were more durable for enduros. Back in 78 i started out as a c rider on a new 78 IT250. Boy that was a ugly choice to have for those tight new england woods. The bike was more suited for western riding. At any rate after 2 enduro's i got my B carb. I rode the same bike the next year with a bunch of changes. It took me the entire 79 season before i had enough points to make A. Figured i 'd switch to a kawi KDX 175 in 1980. It was just a lot of dnf's on the 3 KDX's i had till i went back with the yamaha IT200's in 85, and 86. Things totally turned around real quick. I went with cagiva, huskys and ktm's after that, and liked them all.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I wish i started with the euro bikes earlier, they were more durable for enduros. Back in 78 i started out as a c rider on a new 78 IT250. Boy that was a ugly choice to have for those tight new england woods. The bike was more suited for western riding. At any rate after 2 enduro's i got my B carb. I rode the same bike the next year with a bunch of changes. It took me the entire 79 season before i had enough points to make A. Figured i 'd switch to a kawi KDX 175 in 1980. It was just a lot of dnf's on the 3 KDX's i had till i went back with the yamaha IT200's in 85, and 86. Things totally turned around real quick. I went with cagiva, huskys and ktm's after that, and liked them all.
What kept failing on your KDX's?

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
What kept failing on your KDX's?
Broken frames, the wheels flat spotted real easy and broke spokes. I sheared of the rear brake lever more than once plus shattered 2 rear drums on my kdx 175's. Blew the mono shock more that once making those bikes unable to ride. Imo, they were junk. My 83 kdx 200 wasn't a lot better with a seized engine right from the dealer. Not much later broke the internal shift fork in the transmission, and was stuck in 1st gear. The kawi dealer that was helping out claimed they never saw so many part failures, but i was their only guy that was doing enduro's with them at the time. Their other customers that bought those bikes only used them for pleasure riding, or a turkey run or two. Once i got rid of them everything became good again. Yeah, i had some minor gripes with other bikes, but those green things were by far the worse.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,192 Posts
This is the post about the 2023 Polaris snowmobiles, right?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts