Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
Hard to complain about anything with new sleds the way they ride. Reminds of my moto, and enduro bikes i raced. Their long suspension travel is so forgiving. Strange how it took so long for the sled manufactures to finally get where the dirt bike manufactures were over 30 years ago.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hard to complain about anything with new sleds the way they ride. Reminds of my moto, and enduro bikes i raced. Their long suspension travel is so forgiving. Strange how it took so long for the sled manufactures to finally get where the dirt bike manufactures were over 30 years ago.
I've often wondered the same thing, especially when one of the said manufacturers also made successful competitive dirt bikes!

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,160 Posts
I think it was mostly the chassis design the sled manufacturers had to work with at the time. Once A arm suspension was the norm shock tech came along pretty fast.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,160 Posts
I agree, but what took them so long. Off road bikes began having decent frames/suspensions starting way back in the late 70's.
Much simpler frame construction would be my guess. And bikes had already been around for a century at least.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
The Fusion appeared briefly in 2005-06, then the rename/reconfigure to the IQ started in 2006.
The Pro-Ride came out in 2010 with the 600 Pro-Ride Rush
Axyx started with Flatland sleds in 2015
Matryx started with Flatland sleds in 2021

, So Polaris has been running about a 5 year cycle for new body/chassis introduction.
How long did they run the wedge?

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
Much simpler frame construction would be my guess. And bikes had already been around for a century at least.
Funny thing though the shock technology on the bikes were starting to get good when i raced a 1975 yz125. Even ohlins made shocks for my indy 440's back in the early 90's i used. All polaris had were fox at the time on my 91 440 xc which was nothing special.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Those can-am enduro and mx bikes of the late 70's and early 80's were a force when i was doing enduros. They were ahead of the japanese enduro bikes at that time.
Their MOTORS were a force, but their suspension was still mid 70's in 1980 when a Kawi KDX 175 or Yamaha IT 175 would smoke a Can-An 250 or 350 over rough terrain. I personally lived this.

·
Registered
48,097 Posts
Their MOTORS were a force, but their suspension was still mid 70's in 1980 when a Kawi KDX 175 or Yamaha IT 175 would smoke a Can-An 250 or 350 over rough terrain. I personally lived this.
Boy i tend to disagree on that one. With the suspension properly set up those AA, and A class riders on 250 Husky, KTM's, and Can-Am's were taking home the trophies. I ran a KDX 175 back in 80 and 81. They were a decent C class bike, but fell apart when you had B and A class riders using them. We had one A class rider on a yamaha IT 250 back in 1980 that was able to stay in the points hunt. Those were not kind years for me...more dnf's than i ever had riding those jap bikes.

·
Registered
997 Posts
To be honest, I was a C+ rider in '80, competing with others of my kind. The Can-Am's got a lot of views of my KDX tailight. Not so much the KTM's and Husky's. Very few in our snack bracket back then were riding Euro bikes.:(

21 - 40 of 57 Posts