Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So a few things I thought I should mention after spending some time looking at and looking over the past several weeks. This goes for all new trailer owners.

This trailer has dexter EZ lube hubs/axles. Thats a really awesome addition. If you dont know. Its essentially a system that has a grease fitting at the end of the spindle that pushes grease all the way behind the inner bearing and pushes all the old grease out through the outer bearings. Pretty slick setup.

I opened them up just to see how they work. The bearings were greased just fine from the factory. But there was no excess grease. So I pumped the hubs all the with grease even though the bearings were greased. I did this to prevent any kind of corrosion or something happening. Full of grease = no issues.

I did this because I noticed the hinges at the back door were creaking, they are NOT filled with grease from the factory at all. No real problem, but if I didnt do that they would have been corroded the first year internally from the salt. One grease fitting wouldnt take any grease. It looked like the ball at the tip was stuck with some crusted anti rust film. A poke with a small punch popped it open and it took grease no problem.

Grease your brand new trailers!!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
grease is a good cheap way to make many things last a lot longer, and a cheap deal too boot!
, BUT a heads up, not all grease is compatible, so when greasing with different brands of grease its best to remove as much of the old before adding the new!
that is if your looking for the longest life and lowest odds of something going wrong!

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
226 Posts
Thanks for the heads up MuscleD. When I picked mine up I could see that the door was greased but I haven't checked the axles. I think I mentioned before but I haven't really been impressed with the fit and finish on the trailer I recently purchased so it wouldn't surprise me if the axles are dry. I think the steep demand increase and perhaps labour shortage has lead to some QC failures for my brand and I guess lots of things out there.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
grease is a good cheap way to make many things last a lot longer, and a cheap deal too boot!
, BUT a heads up, not all grease is compatible, so when greasing with different brands of grease its best to remove as much of the old before adding the new!
that is if your looking for the longest life and lowest odds of something going wrong!
Good point. I have to open them up again becase I ran out of grease in the gun. I know it wont take much more to push the original stuff out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
To make life easier on me and the sleds I picked up this new Mission crossover trailer. 12 ft long. I havent seen much reviews on the newest version of these trailers. Just from several years ago. It appears they have always improved these trailers and in my opinion I think it shows.

Towing it home was very comfortable unloaded. The sides are angled inward a few degrees. That might not equate to much in mpgs in the real world, but it cant hurt. It makes seeing the side of the trailer easier with my stock non tow mirrors on my f150. It has huge mirrors though. I can just see the sides of the trailer in the mirrors. I had no issues backing up my driveway to its spot.

The trailer harness is easy to pull out with the finger loop at the end. A nice touch. The wiring is in full loom everywhere, including inside the trailer. Different sizes for different ammount of wires. Wiring goes inside the trailier framing and right into the trailer to keep it out of the elements.

All led lights are very bright. And plenty of them too.

The trailer is sealed up, not just pannels in place. Nice ammount of silicone/sealer at all the joining pieces, including where the floor meets the wall.

The wood on the side of the trailer is half inch thick. The caliber products are awesome. I wont have to worry about falling on my ass walking up and down the ramp. The side guides are huge. Thats a nice touch and thats a pretty new product from caliber. I did the math and thats about 600 USD in caliber products in there. Tie downs are a good inbetween from super clamps and the ones that you have to crank ALL they way down through the deck to the bottom each use. I like them. The front opening is large and easy access.

I did have the front opening door locking mechanism fall out of its key when I got it home. Its just a set screw squeezing flat metal that keeps it from dropping out. Nothing a little divot with a drill and lock tite couldnt fix. I wish I didnt have to do that on a new trailer, but its minor. Works perfectly now.

Rear door/ramp cable help is strong. Closing it I have to pull back to keep it from slamming shut. But it make for picking it up easy as pie.

Overall it's a solid trailer. Standing on the deck and closing the doors it never felt like it was weak in any way. It pulled really nice unloaded. Quiet too.

All the hinges have grease zerks for easy greasing. It has ez grease hubs. These trailers had slight hail damage to the roofs. I had a hard time seeing it on this one. They threw in the spare tire and a mount for free. I mounted the tire on the floor in and it will sit under the sled. The mount I got actually just barely fits in the tie down track and works for that perfectly. You get 4 moveable D rings that go in the track with a new, nice Allen bit to move them around. Interior dome light has 2 switches, one at the front, and at the side door. Big easy to push with gloves on buttons.

A few things to consider with the tapered walls, both my sleds are pull start. Mine is harder to pull over than my wifes 600. So I have to always remember to keep her sled on the right side with the recoil facing the wall. On a cold morning I need alot of room to crank my sled over. I decided against putting shelves in this trailer. I think it will be too tight. I put some baskets mounted to the floors in the front of the sleds instead. My wife is 5'2" and can stand up in the trailer just fine with a few inches to spare. I cannot.

I really just want to load the sleds in it but I dont want to look like a phsyco on the block loading sleds in the summer. LOL. I'm ready for snow. I will be adding storage and tools and some other accessories inside the trailer before winter.

Edit: the light inside is very bright. Way better than I expected. I added a few new pictures.

It has dexter easy grease axles. So it has a grease fitting that pumps grease through the spindle and behind the inner bearing and pushes the old grease all the way through the outer bearings. Very slick. The bearings were manually packed, but no excess. The first time pumping it took alot of grease.

None of the grease fitting at the hinges were greased either! Not a big deal, but could have been a problem.

View attachment 2122089
View attachment 2122090
View attachment 2122091
View attachment 2122092
View attachment 2122093

View attachment 2122095
View attachment 2122200
View attachment 2122201
View attachment 2123179 View attachment 2123180
Yeah I love looking at it! I was going to do more interior lights, but I went out the other day this week to plug the trailer in. And that single light is way brighter than I expected. So no lights this year. I suspect a few lights in the back will be useful when the sleds are in the trailer, but that can wait until I try it.

I want to build 2 boxes in front of each sled between the skis, utilizing that space in the nose of the the trailer for storage. Jacks, tools, oil juggs.

Then add a few hangers in the trailer for the times we change in the trailer.

A broom. Lol I know awesome mod.

My dad mentioned insulating it for the possible camping in it for the winter. We used to do that with his trailer. But no way in hell would my wife ever do that. Plus the bare aluminum keeps it bright.

As far as the floor. When I do the garage floor I'll probably accidentally have too much and use it for the floor in the trailer lol. A girl at my office said her and her husband did that and its awesome.

View attachment 2122214
View attachment 2122215
MuscleD, what did you use to mount the spare tire on the floor? I want to do that with my trailer.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts