Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So a few things I thought I should mention after spending some time looking at and looking over the past several weeks. This goes for all new trailer owners.

This trailer has dexter EZ lube hubs/axles. Thats a really awesome addition. If you dont know. Its essentially a system that has a grease fitting at the end of the spindle that pushes grease all the way behind the inner bearing and pushes all the old grease out through the outer bearings. Pretty slick setup.

I opened them up just to see how they work. The bearings were greased just fine from the factory. But there was no excess grease. So I pumped the hubs all the with grease even though the bearings were greased. I did this to prevent any kind of corrosion or something happening. Full of grease = no issues.

I did this because I noticed the hinges at the back door were creaking, they are NOT filled with grease from the factory at all. No real problem, but if I didnt do that they would have been corroded the first year internally from the salt. One grease fitting wouldnt take any grease. It looked like the ball at the tip was stuck with some crusted anti rust film. A poke with a small punch popped it open and it took grease no problem.

Grease your brand new trailers!!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
grease is a good cheap way to make many things last a lot longer, and a cheap deal too boot!
, BUT a heads up, not all grease is compatible, so when greasing with different brands of grease its best to remove as much of the old before adding the new!
that is if your looking for the longest life and lowest odds of something going wrong!

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
174 Posts
Thanks for the heads up MuscleD. When I picked mine up I could see that the door was greased but I haven't checked the axles. I think I mentioned before but I haven't really been impressed with the fit and finish on the trailer I recently purchased so it wouldn't surprise me if the axles are dry. I think the steep demand increase and perhaps labour shortage has lead to some QC failures for my brand and I guess lots of things out there.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
grease is a good cheap way to make many things last a lot longer, and a cheap deal too boot!
, BUT a heads up, not all grease is compatible, so when greasing with different brands of grease its best to remove as much of the old before adding the new!
that is if your looking for the longest life and lowest odds of something going wrong!
Good point. I have to open them up again becase I ran out of grease in the gun. I know it wont take much more to push the original stuff out.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts