Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new switchback turbo 3 week ago, i read somewhere that the top speep was around 180 km per hour and even that they were faster than the Yamaha 4 stroke. I have 1400 km on mine it well broken in the machine work perfectly but my maximum speed on a hard pack trail is only around 155km, is this normal???

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just got a new switchback turbo 3 week ago, i read somewhere that the top speep was around 180 km per hour and even that they were faster than the Yamaha 4 stroke. I have 1400 km on mine it well broken in the machine work perfectly but my maximum speed on a hard pack trail is only around 155km, is this normal???[/b]
you have to burn the highest octane fuel you can get out of the pump look at your belt deflecion make sure its not sitting down in the seconddary clutch to much i had to burn some reg fuel in mine it really drop the perfomance down look at the hoses from your waste gate for pinching.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I posted about the same subject a few weeks ago about my 08 Dragon FST. That is about all you're going to get out of it. They are far from being faster than the Apex. I have also read the post about how fast they are, but have yet to see a post from anyone that has an 08 but from one other guy that has an IQ 08 and his is about the same top end as yours and mine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've had mine to 174 km/h according the the gauge. I think it has more in it, but a radar would be much more useful.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought a 2008 FST IQ LX max speed is 140 km/85 mph. I have taken back to dealer and they have spoken to Po but have found nothing wrong. I am going on trip this weekend to get a better idea but I do know that I will not pull another 20 mph out of it. And thinking you are going to beat a APEX GT my will not. I have a friend that bought 2008 APEX GT and on the power side he has alot more but ride and handling I think mine is better.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a 2008 FST IQ LX max speed is 140 km/85 mph. I have taken back to dealer and they have spoken to Po but have found nothing wrong. I am going on trip this weekend to get a better idea but I do know that I will not pull another 20 mph out of it. And thinking you are going to beat a APEX GT my will not. I have a friend that bought 2008 APEX GT and on the power side he has alot more but ride and handling I think mine is better.[/b]
i have a 07 121 with reflash recalls on short runs at 98mph my brother inlaws same sled short run at 96mph mine has 420 miles on it his has 300 and change both sled run strong rader run stmarys this weekend praying that accuweather is right on for thursday 15cm.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have a 07 121 with reflash recalls on short runs at 98mph my brother inlaws same sled short run at 96mph mine has 420 miles on it his has 300 and change both sled run strong rader run stmarys this weekend praying that accuweather is right on for thursday 15cm.[/b]
I did ask about the reflash on mine but they said it was only for the 2006-07. I did find build sheet in mine that said a April build date so I was wondering if mine had the old set-up but No such luck. Yes it would be nice if the accuweather is right.

·
Registered
302 Posts
mine was without reflash

·
Registered
63 Posts
i had mine going 106 mph in a bumpy field..... it still had more in her.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ride with 2 Apex's. My FST 121" will hole shot them everytime and they don't catch up. From a punch they usually get me to top end but that is clutching and I am working on it. My FST is usually the fastest or next to fastest in our group, it usually gets 17-19 mpg. When the trails get tight and the kids take off I can keep them in sight, so it handles real well. My son gives me his 600 IQ, takes mine and the results are the same. He seems to go just as fast on the FST in the trees. In fact when I get a new one he wants me to trade his in and he will keep mine. If you don't have high end it is almost belt gap on the primary or improper sag between the clutches. Mine is faster and handles better than my expectations were when I bought the sled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did ask about the reflash on mine but they said it was only for the 2006-07. I did find build sheet in mine that said a April build date so I was wondering if mine had the old set-up but No such luck. Yes it would be nice if the accuweather is right.[/b]
My Turbo LX also has a April build date. The cold weather running is much improved over the 2006 I had but I'm wondering if the mapping in the 2008s is as up to date as the mapping being put in the 2006/2007.

People I talked to said the map wasn't ready yet in September when they were trying get the 06/07 updated. You would think if they were just putting in the 2008 mapping they would not have been waiting until so late in the fall to start updating.

I'm thinking the 2008s did not get the most recent mapping. MPG on my 2008 is still stuck in the mid 13s. Top end is low 90s.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My Turbo LX also has a April build date. The cold weather running is much improved over the 2006 I had but I'm wondering if the mapping in the 2008s is as up to date as the mapping being put in the 2006/2007.

People I talked to said the map wasn't ready yet in September when they were trying get the 06/07 updated. You would think if they were just putting in the 2008 mapping they would not have been waiting until so late in the fall to start updating.

I'm thinking the 2008s did not get the most recent mapping. MPG on my 2008 is still stuck in the mid 13s. Top end is low 90s.[/b]

I agree with you. Ive had the same thoughts on the reflash
It seems like some 08 reflashes "take" and some dont ???
Next time you start them up take notice of this.
When you start it you should get 2 compression strokes and it will fire off. Cold or hot, same thing.
If yours cranks 4-6 seconds/8-12 compresions before starting it might be running a 07 program ???
I noticed this the very first time I started both of mine after the 08 reflash.
You turn the key and you get 2 grunts and they fire off.
This may explain your 13 mph. A lot of us are in the high teens.

·
Registered
952 Posts
When you start it you should get 2 compression strokes and it will fire off. Cold or hot, same thing.
If yours cranks 4-6 seconds/8-12 compresions before starting it might be running a 07 program ???
I noticed this the very first time I started both of mine after the 08 reflash.
You turn the key and you get 2 grunts and they fire off.[/b]
My starts have changed also as you describe.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I ride with 2 Apex's. My FST 121" will hole shot them everytime and they don't catch up. From a punch they usually get me to top end but that is clutching and I am working on it. My FST is usually the fastest or next to fastest in our group, it usually gets 17-19 mpg. When the trails get tight and the kids take off I can keep them in sight, so it handles real well. My son gives me his 600 IQ, takes mine and the results are the same. He seems to go just as fast on the FST in the trees. In fact when I get a new one he wants me to trade his in and he will keep mine. If you don't have high end it is almost belt gap on the primary or improper sag between the clutches. Mine is faster and handles better than my expectations were when I bought the sled.[/b]
I have put on over 700 miles on an '08 FST LX 121" as a demo since the beginning of the season . I am way impressed with this sled in every aspect except the weight in the big whoops- you can feel it when hitting big jumps- it's not a sled to "air out" and was not designed for this.. The sled handles great, very light steering, been averageing 14-15 mpg and I have a heavy thumb. The M-10 after dialing it in is one of the best I've ridden. Now for speed, this thing is FAST ! I can get this rocket humming along at 115mph all day. Matter of fact, Max Speed on the guage shows 120MPH but I had some track slippage as there are no studs in the track. If it was studded, it would be much faster. I ran a couple of Apex's ( an 06 RTX with studs and an 08 without) - I had more top end than both of those sleds - the 06 Apex killed me out of the hole because he had 192 studs - when racing him from a 30 mph roll on hardpack trail, we were dead even to about 100 and then the FST would pull away. The race between the 08 was closer but the FST still had a tad more top end. If Polaris adds another cylinder to this Weber configuration ( which they already have done) with the turbo and the FST now becomes the FSTT ( For Stroke Tripple Turbo), It will be by far the quickest sled on the market - it just needs to go on a diet. Very pleased so far with this sled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow. You guys are killin me. I got mine the day before Christmas and have only been able to put 40 miles on. No snow down here. I've got a neighbor with an mxz that is chompin to line up against this sled but I think we'll break this one in right. First new sled in 30 years. Don't want to create a problem.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
If you did long distance lake runs I could see an Apex beating an FST. The overboost does give the FST 150 hp, but it only last for something like 5 seconds, then it drops it back down to 140 hp. For 1000' runs or shorter, I think an FST could take any 4-stroke sled there is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Top Speed

I have two FST's, the 2007 FST IQ LX and the 2010 IQ Turbo.

Both sleds regularly hit top speed over 100 MPH and typically around 103 - 108 MPH.

Under perfect conditions, on hard-packed lake bed, my 2007 hit 116 MPH without any aftermarket modifications.

Most important is running ONLY Premium fuel with at least 91 Octane and without ethanol if available. On 87 Octane fuel, 10% ethanol, the top speed is upper 90's.

Other important factors, drive belt broken in (50 - 100 mi), proper belt deflection, and some light snow for good track lubrication.

Haven't tried it yet, but aftermarket octane boost may offset the impact of ethanol which seems to be the only fuesl available now in the States.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What would be the correct deflection measurement on these. I have an 06 FST SB and it seems like the belt is loose as hell. I've always had cat's so this sled is all new to me. If it is loose, how do you adjust with the Poo's ?

Scott

1 - 20 of 23 Posts