Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with only 200 miles or less my friends new 2001 ZR800 has no spark... 2nd time this happened... ran good stopped and it died...... any ideas????

thanks

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Does the sled quit while it is running, or will it just not start sometimes? Are the plug caps securely screwed onto the plug wires? Are the plug wires well connected to the coil? Check and seat these electrical connections because they can lead to intermittent problems. Worth a try anyway.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was running good...... he pulled up the house and it just died... it sat in the garage a couple of days and it had spark again..... :eek:
....so we checked everything..all connections,pulled flywheel, sparkplug connections....the sled was dry all connections wasnt wet...... i hate it when things fix themselves :wacko: everything lookes fine....i wouldn't trust going past walking distance...

any more ideas????

thanks

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I have no more useful ideas. It could have been moisture in some connections that now may have dried out after being in a warm place. Storing a sled in a warm place can cause condensation problems. Maybe try dialectic grease in all the electrical connections. If it seems to be working now the only thing I can suggest is don't ride alone and make sure you have a tow rope. You can either be scared of it and stay home. or take it out, teach it lesson, and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
436 Posts
how does he shut it off?
kill switch or key, have had intermiten problems with kill switch, up in the u.p. in the middle of what seems like nowhere, stop for a brake and won't
refire, trail side diagnose no spark. jammed the kill switch in and out a dozen times and got spark again. I think you can by pass kill switch but
check to make sure

·
Registered
160 Posts
A friend had problems with his 2001 zr 800, when ever he shut it off it would not start. If he waited 10 minutes or so it would start again. It ended up being his ignition switch. He pulled the wires off the switch and rode the rest of the week with no problems. The old switch was defective (got to hot), he put a new switch on and never had a problem. The sled was brand new at the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts