Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is definitely post Jack Nelson .

Used sleds are hard to come by . So I found a 19 SKS 850 Snowcheck 155 at Nelson's . Had 890 miles . I bought it and rode it for 13 miles before the engine quit running. Took it right back.
They have had it for 5 weeks and I finally got tired of waiting and demanded a loaner .
They were reluctant but have me a 17 Renegade 850 ( loaded in my trailer with a forklift)
We get to the U P and I pull it out to find the handlebars are bent bad like 2 inches. I make sure to call and let them know and they actually knew about it .
We ride from Christmas to Pictured rocks and as we are getting ready to leave the E start won't work !! These piles have no pull cord , WTF .
Lucky a Yamaha had a strap to pull it over. Get back to the hotel and park it ..

Went and bought a new SKS 155 .

I have not purchased anything from them since 2009.
What happened to the old Nelson's who would do whatever it took to keep customers ??

·
Registered
66 Posts
They got bought out by Lakeside Motorsports, and that is when things seemed to change. I personally bought a sled from Lakeside in 2019. Great deal, but their was issues, totally the dealers fault, not mine, that will most likely keep me from buying from them again. Same goes for David Allen Racing in Fremont. Good Deal on a sled but dealer issues plauged what could have been a good buying experience.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
No idea. I bought a Brand new 2019 Ski-Doo Backcountry XRS from them in March of 2019. So maybe after that? But I also did buy some Doo accessories from them in early 2020. So they must have been a dealer then still.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
This is definitely post Jack Nelson .

Used sleds are hard to come by . So I found a 19 SKS 850 Snowcheck 155 at Nelson's . Had 890 miles . I bought it and rode it for 13 miles before the engine quit running. Took it right back.
They have had it for 5 weeks and I finally got tired of waiting and demanded a loaner .
They were reluctant but have me a 17 Renegade 850 ( loaded in my trailer with a forklift)
We get to the U P and I pull it out to find the handlebars are bent bad like 2 inches. I make sure to call and let them know and they actually knew about it .
We ride from Christmas to Pictured rocks and as we are getting ready to leave the E start won't work !! These piles have no pull cord , WTF .
Lucky a Yamaha had a strap to pull it over. Get back to the hotel and park it ..

Went and bought a new SKS 155 .

I have not purchased anything from them since 2009.
What happened to the old Nelson's who would do whatever it took to keep customers ??
Ahhh that’s how I roll to. No messing around. What’s the hold up with the used one you bought ? Are they just gonna give you your money back or gonna fix it and then you have two ? I’m a fan of things in 2s. Sleds , boobs etc

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's under warranty. For sale now if anyone is looking for a 19 SKS 155/2.4 with new topend . ( UPDATE April 2021: New Engine installed after knowledgeable dealer inspected Nelson's rebuild )
Snow Check Graphics and Shocks
Electric start. GPS Guage
$10,000 ( I paid 12k but want it gone)

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Low mileage, newer model sled at a dealer is a red flag. I only purchased one used sled from a dealer, it was a year old only had 100 miles and I was nervous as a Ho in Church, it work out well. Maybe the sales guy wasn't lying said an older guy purchased it and just didn't like it...

Last two sled both new 2013 and 2016 came from Nelsons at the time best price and you got the OTD price over the phone deals work out great. I think 2014 was when Nelson's sold to Lakeside. Have not shopped around since.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I still deal with Nelsons as they have always treated me good. I do price check them with other places and they always have the best deal with no BS upcharge at the end.

·
Premium Member
38,710 Posts
No idea. I bought a Brand new 2019 Ski-Doo Backcountry XRS from them in March of 2019. So maybe after that? But I also did buy some Doo accessories from them in early 2020. So they must have been a dealer then still.

I was asking about selling Polaris parts/sleds.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Id say stay away if your looking for service . I still don't have the sled back I bought 1/19 and returned 1/25 . It's now 3/1 and they can not complete the service needed ??? It's now 30 business days later and still not done .

·
Premium Member
38,710 Posts
Is say stay away if your looking for service . I still don't have the sled back I bought 1/19 and returned 1/25 . It's now 3/1 and they can not complete the service needed ??? It's now 30 business days later and still not done .
Some parts from all brands are way backordered, I waited 44 days for some parts, no one I checked with nationwide could get them.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got SKS back March 4 with newly rebuilt engine . Noticed a very large air bubble in oil line . Called Polaris and was advised to take to different dealer. Took to Reputable upper penninsula dealer and was notified March 22 that unit is having new Factory Engine installed and also throttle bodies and clutch.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Boy, lotsa headaches in this deal!,, but, Polaris did you right. Kudo's for stepping up, as they should.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ya hopefully Polaris takes their franchise to a dealer that can service a very simple machine and diagnose it correctly.
I told the Service manager on the first inspection before buying it looked like it was done by the new guy. " No it was our lead guy he has years of engine experience" with what power wheels ??

I would tell anyone to run don't walk away from Nelson's ..

I've had every year Polaris with very few exceptions and never had an issue like this . Usually it's a faulty sensor or handwarmer element that isn't working . Not a sled that can't make it 20 miles because of a incompetent mechanic .

·
Registered
19SKS850,17Assault815BCX.13BCX,to96XCR6;-} Six Star:Lodge At HWL
232 Posts
Got SKS back March 4 with newly rebuilt engine . Noticed a very large air bubble in oil line . Called Polaris and was advised to take to different dealer. Took to Reputable upper penninsula dealer and was notified March 22 that unit is having new Factory Engine installed and also throttle bodies and clutch.
So polaris put a new clutch on this sled? What was wrong with that?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sled is finally Repaired correctly . Will post pictures of Inside of engine .

Remember this is a freshly rebuilt motor with no run time only forklifted since return after initial purchase.

Marquette Powersports is awesome to deal with and has been a pleasure to deal with.
Here is the inspection highlights after a new rebuild from Nelson's , with NO RUN TIME!

Exhaust gilotines were finger tight
Exhaust gilotine bushing missing
Extensive damage to head
Pistons scored
Cylinder damaged
New pistons damaged
No Oil in lines or Pump
Metal debris in Ports
Metal.debris in Crank
Metal debris in Reeds
Metal debris is throttle bodies
Crank 0.22 runout
Crank bearings noisie
Crank case bearing surface gulled
TPS wire cut ( non-servable)

New Long Block Installed with oil pump and lines. Plus new Throttle bodies.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sled is finally Repaired correctly . Will post pictures of Inside of engine .

Remember this is a freshly rebuilt motor with no run time only forklifted since return after initial purchase.

Marquette Powersports is awesome to deal with and has been a pleasure to deal with.
Here is the inspection highlights after a new rebuild from Nelson's , with NO RUN TIME!

Exhaust gilotines were finger tight
Exhaust gilotine bushing missing
Extensive damage to head
Pistons scored
Cylinder damaged
New pistons damaged
No Oil in lines or Pump
Metal debris in Ports
Metal.debris in Crank
Metal debris in Reeds
Metal debris is throttle bodies
Crank 0.22 runout
Crank bearings noisie
Crank case bearing surface gulled
TPS wire cut ( non-servable)

New Long Block Installed with oil pump and lines. Plus new Throttle bodies.
Doesn't look like they even worked on it.

If they got paid by Polaris for the work, that's big-time fraud..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts