Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just cleaning the valves on my 02 XC 800. The spring's seem to be very worn out and one has a slight bend in it. What would you folk's recommend I install, the softer or stiffer spring's than stock? Or should I stick with stock? I run sea level to 1500 feet. The slides themselves are stock, haven't ever had a problem with them. Sled has SLP pipe/can, V-Force III reed's, SLP airhorn kit & two dash flowrites. Any help would be gr8. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I had an 02 800 xc/sp and we ran the stock springs. It was the fastest stock sled I ever owned. I just bought the pink springs from the 800 RMK to put in my 03 800 Pro X. I believe they are a lighter spring and I have switched from the original aluminum valves to the Titanium (which are heaveier).

The pink only list for $2.25 each the others priced out about $6.00 each as I recall. I am told if you aren't on the throttle all the time with the stock 800 the valves don't open wide which holds the heat in and causes the warping of the aluminum valves. (I am told). When I had my sled I was 325 lbs naked so probably around 350 suited up and showed 110 on speedo on hard pak. The fellow I sold it to weighs about 185 and he did some clutch work, added pipes and we put RMK gearing in it. The sled would pull 9000 rpm and show 118 mph on speedo. Finally ate a piston at about 5000 miles.

If you are going to switch I would go lighter.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I've tried several springs and went back to the stock one.
The gas mileage and throttle response went downhill with the softer springs.
I would also say to buy the stainless steel valves to replace the original ones with, if that has not been done yet.
It's cheap insurance. If they break, it will not be a cheap repair job.
When cleaning the valves, did you clean up the holes to the cylinder too?
After a tip from a Polaris rep, I adjusted the oil pump to use a little more oil and the valves stay much cleaner now. Also turned the fuel screws in about 1/4 turn to clean up the low end a bit.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My sled has over 10,000 miles on it, never had a problem w/ the valves except the origionals became worn out. So, should I go softer or stiffer?

·
Registered
2012 Polaris Assault 800
1,206 Posts
Stock. I tried lighter and you lose the response. The sled felt flat. Those 02's ran hard. Stick with the stock springs.

:div20:

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Running the pink RMK springs. Changed from stock when intalling the Ti kit with new diaphrams. Noticed the valves opening a lot quicker and at lower trail speeds than before. I thought maybe around 44-4500 or so. Mine seems considerably peppier. Haven't been running them long, maybe 4-500 miles, but no huge difference in gas milage noted so far. Has always run 10+ mpg. Running with switch on regular, running 87, all stock w/Tempaflo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts