Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just acquired a Polaris temp gauge add-on kit that I'm using on my 2002 Polaris XC 800. It came with a temp sending unit that has a 5/8" threaded fitting instead of the 3/8" fitting that came on the one I bought a few years back for another sled. I want to use the Grin-N-Rip aluminum housing like I did the last time because the damn plastic Poo one leaks, but theirs is sized for the 3/8" fitting (that size is also called "1/8 pipe thread").

Anyone know where I can find a temp sending unit that is 3/8" ?? I tried a dealer but they said they only have the 5/8" one.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alternatively, if someone knows how to keep the stock Polaris add-on temp gauge kit from leaking at the plastic T fitting I'd appreciate hearing about it. I've already tried thread tape and pipe sealant goo without success.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Rob.. PM Sabercat700 "AKA Todd White" he has 1" T's that he supplies with a temp kit, I bought only a 1" T, that is what I am replacing my Polaris Plasitic POS with, althou the piece that Todd will send you will need to be machined/drilled and tapped for the Polaris sending unit, as the Polaris sending unit is bigger than the T hole.. mine new housing went to the machine shop for re-work today"

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. His fitting sounds just like the ones from Grin-N-Rip.

I just found out last night that my problem is mostly solved. The Polaris temp sending unit is actually a normal 1/8" NPT unit threaded into an adapter that turns it into a 3/8" NPT fitting. This 3/8" NPT fitting is the size of the Polaris plastic T. I was able to just unscrew the inner unit from the fitting and that works perfectly in the aluminum T from Grip-N-Rip. The only thing I have to overcome is that the sending unit is a bit too long so I need some washers or a suitable nut to space it away from the T enough.

So, if you want to use the T that you mentioned, as long as it has 1/8" NPT threads, you can just take the Polaris sending unit apart and you don't have to machine anything.

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts