Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 120 we bought my daughter for xmas had the governor tied off. I need to stock up on spare parts for this sled so when the inevitable happens I can fix on the spot instead of wait for parts to arrive.
1) What parts are most commonly broken / replaced on these mini sleds? I'm guessing chaine and sprokets, but I'd love some input from some of you experienced dad's.
2) Is there a service manual for this sled available for download anywhere or do I need to order from a dealer?
3) Is the stock driven sprocket 39 or 40 tooth?
4) Any recommendations for an aftermarket chain tensioner? I really don't like the stock one. At this point I think it's worn out and not doing it's job. I've got slack in the chain and that tensioner is doing nothing to help.
5) The carbides that came on this sled were badly worn, so I removed them. Do I need to spend $ on true carbides or will the old trusty "scags" fit the billing?

Any other recommendations for parts/tools to have on hand for maintaining this little sled is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
The 120 we bought my daughter for xmas had the governor tied off. I need to stock up on spare parts for this sled so when the inevitable happens I can fix on the spot instead of wait for parts to arrive.
Thanks![/b]
1) What parts are most commonly broken / replaced on these mini sleds? I'm guessing chaine and sprokets, but I'd love some input from some of you experienced dad's.

Chain (stock is 420), shock upgrade kit, wear bars, master links, 1/2 links, mobile 1 5w-30 synthetic oil, Tiny Tach

2) Is there a service manual for this sled available for download anywhere or do I need to order from a dealer?

If you find one let me know.

3) Is the stock driven sprocket 39 or 40 tooth?

Stock ratio is 440 10 tooth driver, 44 tooth driven.

4) Any recommendations for an aftermarket chain tensioner? I really don't like the stock one. At this point I think it's worn out and not doing it's job. I've got slack in the chain and that tensioner is doing nothing to help.

Rec motors chain tenssioner

5) The carbides that came on this sled were badly worn, so I removed them. Do I need to spend $ on true carbides or will the old trusty "scags" fit the billing?

See above.

Any other recommendations for parts/tools to have on hand for maintaining this little sled is appreciated.

Two each of the following:
Open end wrenches:
9/16"
1/2"
7/16"
10mm
12mm
14mm

Sockets 1/4" and 3/8" drive:
9/16"
1/2"
7/16"
10mm
12mm
14mm

One each of the following:
open end:
15mm
9mm
11mm
13mm
Same with the sockets:
T-20 torx wrench (I would buy 2)
5/16" nut driver
Screwdrivers (mid, long and short): philips and regular
Exhaust spring tool helps a ton.
Blue loctight.
Carb cleaner, break cleaner, low temp grease,
ZIP TIES all sizes, duct tape, safety wire,

This is just off the top of my head I'm sure I'll think of more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stock up on spark plugs NGK BPR6ES I think. Check the wear on the clutch, my son's sled would slip under heavy load (deep snow). Also, get a spare headlight. With the governor spring tied off, the higher engine rpm's will cause the bulb to burn brighter and bring an abrupt end to a fun night ride.

As for critical tools: Put a spark plug wrench in the back compartment for the unexpected field service events.

Replace the wear bars. If you are not going to be running in low snow conditions, the stock replacements are fine. Without them, the steering will not be as good.

You can look at the parts diagrams on the Arctic Cat web site, or go to Babbit's on line site (Google it). They have the same diagrams and decent prices on parts (watch the shipping costs).

Have fun :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! That's great guys Thanks a ton for the help. Looks like I'm going to drop a few hundred bucks here... guessing that's the tip of the ice berg from here on out eh?

Stock up on spark plugs NGK BPR6ES I think. Check the wear on the clutch, my son's sled would slip under heavy load (deep snow). Also, get a spare headlight. With the governor spring tied off, the higher engine rpm's will cause the bulb to burn brighter and bring an abrupt end to a fun night ride.

As for critical tools: Put a spark plug wrench in the back compartment for the unexpected field service events.

Replace the wear bars. If you are not going to be running in low snow conditions, the stock replacements are fine. Without them, the steering will not be as good.

You can look at the parts diagrams on the Arctic Cat web site, or go to Babbit's on line site (Google it). They have the same diagrams and decent prices on parts (watch the shipping costs).

Have fun :)[/b]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow! That's great guys Thanks a ton for the help. Looks like I'm going to drop a few hundred bucks here... guessing that's the tip of the ice berg from here on out eh?[/b]

you dont have to worry so much about the headlight the 2004 came with av regulator

the front shicks blow and i would recommend the front shock replacement from goodwin they are welded crosstubes and huge rods thes ewill not snap right off, youll be lucky to get a few hours out of the stock shocks
you can put a heavier spring on the chain tensioner and it will work fine.

Install a nice fuel filter right away

dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts