Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the issue, 01 500 efi that starts and idles fine. Riding along at 40 -50 mph and it starts to die, it will stay going about 30 mph and 7000 on the tach. This problem is intermittent so I'm having a hard time with it. Once in a while it will run fine for about 5 minutes then back to running really sluggish and it sounds like it has a miss. Any ideas, need to get it fixed have lots of snow now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had a similar problem with a 99 zr 500efi. Would rev to about 7500 and just sit there like it hit a rev limiter or something. This was an intermittent problem, as it would rev to 8500 sometimes. It also wasn't starting on 2 pulls anymore. After doing some checking, I found out that the low speed coil had a very high resistance. Its at the dealer now so we'll find out what happens. I would check your coils.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I took it to the dealer this afternoon and everything checked out ok. checked out fuel pressure, fuel pick ups, air intake, ecu does not show any problems, compression checks looked ok. Could it be possible that I've got some bad gas, we dumped some dry gas in it and I 'm gonna try it out tomorrow. Any ideas from some of you cat gurus???

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anybody have any ideas for this. The dealer can't find nothing wrong. It runs fine for about 2 minutes then it will go about 30 mph tops. Sounds like it is missing. He's talked to cat and they don't have any ideas. Was suppose to leave for Tug Hill this morning but the sled is still at the dealer. Any ideas!!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
This probably has been done, but check the amount of
spark and change the plugs. I've had intermittent experiences
with both. Changed the plugs and it was gone.
I know this seems over simplified but sometimes?

·
Registered
354 Posts
on these sleds there is a switch on the throttle. When you push the throttle look at the pivout point. It is supposed to rock back and forth, not stay in 1 place. This is a safety switch, and they will cause the sled to run bad if they wear out,ice up, or are sticky. This happened to me so just look at it to make sure.Make sure it rocks back and forth.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here's a few ideas: coils,plug wires,plug caps,stator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The first thing is you have to rule out is it fuel or spark. Some sealed sparkplug testers are a good start. You use them when riding your sled.Also being sealed no exposer to the spark. The ecu does not trouble shoot everything. It will tell you if an injector is good not plugged. I dont understand the whole 30 mph with 7000 rpm. Is it running on one cylinder? If so what cylinder. Also what happened before this problem occured. If there was a problem with a sensor the ecu will record it. Its hard to fix a sled over the keyboard.That sled has a open ingnition system so if you unplug something you dont have to use jumper wires. Like bypassing the key, kill botton, lighting system stuff like that.

i need more info
Scott

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
What about the fuel pick-up in the gas tank? Isn't that where the "Smart Valve" is. I seem to recall hearing and reading about other people having problems that were traced to the smart valve after everything else didn't work. I think they were reporting odd, and intermitent problems too. That may be worth a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
check for water-- and like the man says check switches-- switches are easy ---an open system means you can unplug them and it will still run ---you have to plug them in again to shutoff---

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the ideas, however everything that was mentioned has been checkec. New plugs, stator, ignition, injectors, disconnected the kill switch, drained gas, nothing helped. No codes appear from the ecu.

Yz114- the throttle position safety switch, is that on the handlebar or down below the injectors in the engine.

scaryscott-It appears that it is running on both cyclinders, all the sensors check ok as far as resistance goes.
The sled runs fine for about 2 minutes and then it won't go any faster than 30 mph and it sounds
like it is missing.

The dealer stills has the sled and it sounds like he is going to try the ignition timing sensor and the ecu next. He's talked to another dealer and arctic cat and this one has them baffled. On a good note here, this dealer has been outstanding to me, really helpful and has been keeping me informed.
One of the best winters we've had in a long time and I can't ride. Talk about frustrating. :wacko: Maybe it is time for a F6/F7?????
Thanks for the help everyone!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts