Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
Looking for a little help from the regulars, we may be riding with the ladies this coming weekend.

Here is what we want to do; ride about 100 miles and find a nice place to eat and sleep at. Backtracking is fine, in other words if you tell me that there is a really nice place about 80 miles North of Woodford then we will make it work for us. We want to ride about 100 miles on Saturday and then ride about 100 miles back to Woodford on Sunday.

Any rec's??? Feel free to pm me, we do not need a 5 star resort but we do not want a double bed with a sheet and blanket either.

Kurt

This was also posted in the Woodford food thread but thought I would get more exposure with my own thread!

·
Registered
308 Posts
why are you leaving from woodford? you can put in at bromley ski mtn. this is where vast trail crosses route 11/30.this will get you away from woodford. and start you closer to more trails in vermont.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why are you leaving from woodford? you can put in at bromley ski mtn. this is where vast trail crosses route 11/30.this will get you away from woodford. and start you closer to more trails in vermont.[/b]

Ok,

We have only rode Vermont once and that was a few weeks ago. We do not know where anything is and had a bad experience last time out. Could not find any place to eat after leaving Woodford and riding for about 55 miles and ended up going back to Woodford after doing 115 miles and paying like $8.95 for a charred hamburger and $5.00 for a bottle of beer. The women were not happy, I do want to repeat that. Of course if this weather keeps up than it may be hopeless but I was looking for some guidance from some regulars. I bought a two VAST passes and want to get some use out of it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ok,

We have only rode Vermont once and that was a few weeks ago. I bought a two VAST passes and want to get some use out of it.[/b]
What club did you purchase your tma from. Do you a vast trail map? If not you should purchase one. this gives you all the vast trails in the state. you shows you where you can park ,get gas and food. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I've been riding in Woodford since the 1995 and I've got good news and bad news. The good news is its a great place to ride, maybe some of the best riding in Vermont (especially during the week), because there are lots of options as far as the type of trails, elevation changes and scenery. Plus, when other places don't have snow in Vermont, Woodford usually does. The bad news is there aren't a lot of options when it comes to food or lodging. Most of the riding in the Woodford area is on National forest land and finding decent food means you either have ride into one of the nearby towns, the closest being Wilmington and Dover, or head WAY North (more than 100 miles probably).

Riding out of Woodford is basically a North or South deal. Heading South doesn't get ya too far but it's some very scenic woods riding and can take you over to Wilmington. Wilmington is a nice little ski town (Mt. Snow is just North of there) and there are some places to eat but there's VERY limited access to the town by sled. Heading North, you can detour East (about 15 miles North from Twin Brooks - trail C100) and head towards Dover where there are a couple of decent choices for sit down food (Deacon's Den is one). Unfortunately, many times that trail is not in the best shape and I avoid it when everything else is decent.

Otherwise, your next option is Jenk's Oasis (about 40 miles North of Woodford) which is nothing more than someone's basement where they sell gas and snacks for a premium. I'm not knocking Jenk's. They're nice people and I enjoy stopping there when I ride but it's certainly not a destination for a decent meal with the wife/girlfriend. The next option is the town of Belmont - about 60-70 miles North of Woodford (I think - can't remember exactly) but, once again, no sit-down type places that I know of. Just a nice little general store with decent food and gas. That's about it unless you want to make the trek from there up towards Shrewsbury, Chester and the Killington area. That's quite a ride unless you're planning on hauling ass under perfect conditions. Probably not do-able with the women.

It's a great riding spot but I usually pick up a snack on the way to Woodford and eat on the trail or hit Jenk's, Mt. Tabor or Belmont. Like you, I've learned to avoid eating at Twin Brooks (aka "The Mall) at all costs!

Southern Vermont is great for a quick day trip but, in my opinion, Central and Northern Vermont offer much nicer "couples" type riding with lots of lodging and food options.

PS - You might want to rethink the ride next weekend. Warm weather and rain is predicted for the whole Northeast and I'm sure there will be lots of open water on what's left of the trails by then.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Lake Morey would be a bettter place to stay with the girls. About another hour or so up 91 in Fairlee VT. They have fireplace and hottubs restaurant on site.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the help, looks like Woodford is good for day trips on short notice. I will try to grab a VAST trail map next time I am up there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts