Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my last season riding my Pro-X2 600, it's an awesome sled but pretty outdated now and I want to get something quicker. I was already pretty much dead set on buying an MXZx Renegade 1000 but lately the Apex RTX has been ganing alot of my interest. I want to know from you guys how quick these things are. I know you can turbo them, and that would be awesome but reeeeeeallllllllyyyyyyy expensive. How are they in stock form? I've heard they are more comparable to a 600 cc 2 stroke in stock form for speed but I find that hard to believe with 150 hp on tap. If I am to buy one I plan to add the Boss Nitrous setup once it's broken in, how quick will it be with a 30 shot? I never though I would find myself looking at Yamahas because I've been diehard Polaris up until now, but we all know they fell off recently.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Renagade is a great sled. more rear suspension for sure. Apex is tons faster!!!! but less of a ride. in the twisties the renagade will be easier to handle. So if it's ride and handling? Renagade for sure. if it's speed? Quality build, turn key and go? cheaper to run? it's the Apex!!!!!!!!!

I think the perfect sled would be the 150 genesis in a renagade chassis. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
670 Posts
Renegade is a great sled. more rear suspension for sure. Apex is tons faster!!!! but less of a ride. in the twisters the renegade will be easier to handle. So if it's ride and handling? Renegade for sure. if it's speed? Quality build, turn key and go? cheaper to run? it's the Apex!!!!!!!!!

I think the perfect sled would be the 150 genesis in a renegade chassis. just my 2 cents[/b]
you guys are funny a apex won,t beat a machzx so a renegade is close to the same weight as a apex rtx so the renegade Will still beat the apex

174HP beats a 149HP sled as far as build quality the ski-doo is better
fit and finish doo and Yamaha are close

the only advantage the apex holds is you do not have to add oil

i like Yamaha and the apex is a good sled but it not in the same league as the 1000sdi sorry guys
and cheaper to run at the moast 150 dollars a year

1000sdi 16.5 mpg 2007 my machzx
150efi 14.5mpg 2006 my apex gt
now in 2008 i think ski-doo and yamaha are going to have a fight doo new 800rsdi 155hp motor and the apex 149hp motor these two sled are going to be at their best in the 800 class.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Sorry Scott, but the 800 renagade is a pooch. Now the 1000 rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!in the Mach Z, I have never ridden a gade with 1000cc's
But I love the Apex performance. 20 hp less than Mach and still gives it a good run, it's because of the torque curve dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :no_bashing:

You know me, I'm open minded about all brands, but that yami engine is awesome, as long as you don't have to work on it!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. You were right about the plugs, what a bitch!!!!!!!!! 1 hour in my shop with the RIGHT tools, how in the hell did you change on the trail? It's almost impossible?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I own a 2006 1000 gade X and rode this past weekend in zenon, my brother in law brought his new attack gt. Both sleds have a 136" track so its a better comparision than a RTX which has a 120" track. My 1000 gade is faster in all ranges but the yamaha had a couple of miles per gallon advantage over my ski doo. We put on 320 miles both machines perform great handling is very simular but the gade has just a little more power.

·
Registered
344 Posts
my bud has a apex loves it. nice sled. i guy in our group has a machz 1000 sdi 06 and the apex takes him to about 100-105. they have raced moving ,from a dead stop. everytime same thing. we where all shocked.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
No one asked about the mach. Its always been over rated. Skidoo fit and finnish hahaha, thats not true at all. 4 stroke power is the future, and pretty easy to turbo, for hands down power.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I own a 2006 1000 gade X and rode this past weekend in zenon, my brother in law brought his new attack gt. Both sleds have a 136" track so its a better comparision than a RTX which has a 120" track. My 1000 gade is faster in all ranges but the yamaha had a couple of miles per gallon advantage over my ski doo. We put on 320 miles both machines perform great handling is very simular but the gade has just a little more power.[/b]

This is exactly the kind of opinion I was looking for, it's nice that nobody here is really biased towards either brand or atleast isn't forcing one over the other. The only reason I chose the Gade was that I could probably get a better deal on one than an RTX and I really didn't want to buy a MachZ, I like to jump and screw around too and the Mach wouldn't really be good for that. If they had a 121 MXZx 1000 that would be perfect. I'm really starting to lean towards the Apex, I won't be able to afford to turbo one (although that would be awesome) but I can see nitrous in the future. I trust the 4 stroke motor more shooting nitrous into it than a 2 stroke. Again, thanks alot for to all of you, your opinions mean alot. It's gonna be tough to switch from Polaris.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I wouldnt even get any type of machz for jumping, i dont know if i would get a apex or attak for jumping ethier. my dad has a attak with fox floats big boy springs, and belive me it aint no jumper. if you want to jump i sugest a 800 ptek x.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^I've ridden the 800 Doo before and it wasn't all that and a bag of chips, that's why I was looking at the 1000. I don't think I'm a sno-x racer on the trails, I just hit little jumps from time to time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
you guys are funny a apex won,t beat a machzx so a renegade is close to the same weight as a apex rtx so the renegade Will still beat the apex

174HP beats a 149HP sled as far as build quality the ski-doo is better
fit and finish doo and Yamaha are close

the only advantage the apex holds is you do not have to add oil

i like Yamaha and the apex is a good sled but it not in the same league as the 1000sdi sorry guys
and cheaper to run at the moast 150 dollars a year

1000sdi 16.5 mpg 2007 my machzx
150efi 14.5mpg 2006 my apex gt
now in 2008 i think ski-doo and yamaha are going to have a fight doo new 800rsdi 155hp motor and the apex 149hp motor these two sled are going to be at their best in the 800 class.[/b]
Yet another unbiased opinion from the HCS Mach Z Embassador. If it doesn't say Skidoo on the side and 1000 under the hood, this guy seems to think that it's junk.... anyways.

You really can't go wrong either way. The Renegade is a nice sled, the Apex may be a few pounds heavier but unless you're a Blair Morgan wannabe, it's probably no big deal. The gade is easier to work on and throw around, the Yammie will probably give you less hassle overall. The REV platform isn't for everyone, the Apex is more traditional in terms of ride ergonomics and position. However, I spent a day on a REV last winter and it does grow on you.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
If i were u i would get a apex rtx. if your not planing on doing huge doubles, its a nice fun hard going trail sled, they are surprising lite in the ditchs and trails. and the are faster the a 800 ptek. i really dont know why people say they are so heavy and 600's beat them. thats a bunch of crap. if your looking at a nytro i stongly advise you to keep what you have! but a rtx or gade 1000 is a kick ass sled. i might be looking at a sumit xrs 800 r if i were u. my buddie has one with a 1.25 ripsaw and its insane. way dif power then a ptek!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yet another unbiased opinion from the HCS Mach Z Embassador. If it doesn't say Skidoo on the side and 1000 under the hood, this guy seems to think that it's junk.... anyways.

You really can't go wrong either way. The Renegade is a nice sled, the Apex may be a few pounds heavier but unless you're a Blair Morgan wannabe, it's probably no big deal. The gade is easier to work on and throw around, the Yammie will probably give you less hassle overall. The REV platform isn't for everyone, the Apex is more traditional in terms of ride ergonomics and position. However, I spent a day on a REV last winter and it does grow on you.[/b]
Youre totally right... alot of people say the REV is too far forward for taller people. I am 6'4" and have no complaints with the REV whatsoever. However, I believe he is looking at the Renegade 1000 which is not available in the REV platform. It is essentially just a long track machz since it is built on the same RT platform. I have not personally ridden an apex or Renegade RT but have heard that the ergonomics are quite similar between the two. Good luck picking one, im sure you'll be happy with either sled!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If i were u i would get a apex rtx. if your not planing on doing huge doubles, its a nice fun hard going trail sled, they are surprising lite in the ditchs and trails. and the are faster the a 800 ptek. i really dont know why people say they are so heavy and 600's beat them. thats a bunch of crap. if your looking at a nytro i stongly advise you to keep what you have! but a rtx or gade 1000 is a kick ass sled. i might be looking at a sumit xrs 800 r if i were u. my buddie has one with a 1.25 ripsaw and its insane. way dif power then a ptek![/b]

Yeah I was planning on the RTX. The summit is way too much sled for NH, no need for a track that long here plus the "R" motor isn't really proven yet.

dionysos412, I agree with you totally. I'm the same height that you are and my mom has an 05 MXZ 500SS so I know the REV chassis pretty well. The RT I have never been on though, the ideal sled for me would be the 1000 in the REV chassis. Thanks alot!

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
^^I've ridden the 800 Doo before and it wasn't all that and a bag of chips, that's why I was looking at the 1000. I don't think I'm a sno-x racer on the trails, I just hit little jumps from time to time.[/b]

properly cluthced 800 Renegade would be a way better sled for what your describing doing than a Renegade 1000. I'll probably move onto a Renegade 1000 next year but will still keep my current sled for offtrail and local riding and use the 1000 on Canada trips. RT chassis is more relaxed which I want being 6'4". height isn't an issue for the first 100 miles of the day it's the last 100 miles on a 250 mile day that they can tend to be an issue.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^I'm the exact same height that you are, I seem to be fine on a REV but have never ridden ours for a long period of time. I'm also starting to have my doubts if the Renegade will fit into my 10' enclosed flip cover. I've heard no and yes. My pro-x is close. I really need to go to the snodeo in Colebrook and ride these things. With the dismal winter so far, prices ought to be appealing in about a month.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Wait a year for the new Apex. It is supposed to have 175 HP and will blow away the MachZ/Gade1000. I rode an Attak a few weeks ago, it had awesome power. The Gade 1000 is the bad boy of the two right now, but the Apex will be a much more reliable sled.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
If you like your X2 but want something newer, faster and more modern, why not get a Dragon? :dunno:
I havent ridden the Renegade, but I have ridden an Apex.
The Apex is a very fast sled, but its also a big, heavy sled. I found the one I demo rode last winter to be very tippy and I didnt care for the clutching. It engaged at about 4500 rpm and the engagement was very jerky.
What it really comes down to is personal preference. You have to ask yourself which you prefer: 2-stroke snap or 4-stroke grunt.
If it were me, Id go for the Doo because its a 2-stroke and I can actually afford to fix the engine 5 years down the road when it needs to be rebuilt and because the engine is simple enough that I can work on it myself. Unless you are a Yamaha tech, chances are you have neither the tools nor the knowledge to work on the Apex when something goes wrong.
Im not bashing the Apex, its a great sled, but I personally prefer a 2-stroke because its simple and easy to work on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.