Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a group of guys that always go every year to WI. Last year we ended up going to WY. I would like to look into the UP for a change. It seems like the Houghton area sounds like a good place to go. Any suggestions on where to stay etc. as far as trail accessability and lodging. What is the terrain like there. It looks somewhat hilly. Are there any smaller lakes or flat out speed areas? I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Justin. We are coming up the 17th of Jan.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The riding is beautiful when the snow conditions are good,I was there yesterday,and the conditions around Houghton were horrible to say the least,3-4 ft rollers with lots of rocks!south of there was good ,but for only 20 or so miles then you run out of snow.IF the UP gets snowYou'll have a blast,midweek is always best for trail conditions,But if they dont get snow,look elsewhere.And if there the only ones to get snow everyone and there brother will be there,BE PREPARED!!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
The Ramada in Houghton is a good place to stay. $90 a night. It is basically on a hub in the trail system. As far as lakes go I really don't know besides Gogebic. That is a pretty good ride from Houghton by sled. As far as fast trails that is not a problem. Lots of fast straight RR beds. Mostly flat trails. Try trail 13 from Mass City to Twin lakes for some rolling twisties. There are some unreal off trail hillclimbs if you know where to go and the powder is awesome except for this year when they don't have hardly a foot.
Cat S.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
AH yes,
If you go on the weekend bumps are a fact of life. They can't keep up grooming around the clock.
Cat S.

·
Registered
340 Posts
HOUGHTON and HOUGHTON LAKE are two completely different areas in Michigan. Houghton Lake is in the Lower Peninsula and Houghton is in the Upper Peninsula.

Dont want anyone to make reservations in the wrong place.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have booked a stay at the Best Western for Jan 12 -16th. It is supposed to warm up this week to 40's up there and then chance of snow over the weekend.. Not sure if I can take that chance as I may have to book a trip out west instead..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts