Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One my last day of riding in Quebec this week, I lost my tach, speedo and hand warmers. My tail light and head light are dimmer than usual, as is my high beam indicator. For some reason the thumb warmer is still working. I am guessing it is a ground wire problem. Anyone know where some of these ground wires are? I am not finding any loose connections. I can take it back to the dealer, but he is kind of busy and it is a 2 hour drive.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bill, I think it's a short somewhere. If you have any accessories like a heated shield, start with those connections. make sure there are no wires shorting out. Then start unplugging things to isolate the problem. start with the hood connector. let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob. I am going to do that today. But if anyone knows where some ground wire connection are, let me know. It seems odd that the low oil light still works when nothing else on the dash works. That light has been staying on for the last 3 weeks. That will be an off-season repair for the dealer.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried unplugging just about everything, but no luck. I could live without the tach and speedo, but the hand warmers are hard to do without. To top it off, the dealer is away at the annual meeting. Hopefully, someone on hear knows where there is a ground wire.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bill, I'm looking at the wiring diagram. All ground wires are brown. You should be able to use a DVOM and read zero resistance from the chassis to any brown wire terminal. All grounds are carried back by the brown wires, not connections to the chassis.

Try using the DVOM and measure the YELLOW wires at the handwarmers, headlights and taillights. s/b over 12v with the engine running. If less, there is a short to ground somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
when you unplugged the speedo tach did it do anything? Do it again and measure the voltage at the yellow wire terminal.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great idea Rob. I was looking in my owner packet and didn't find a wiring diagram. I was just getting ready to search the net for one. When I unplugged the tach, nothing happened. Unfortunately my VOM is in my trailer and it is accross town. I guess that will be tomorrows project, along with the oil pump adjustment.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would say then nothing is wrong with the tach/speedo, problem lies elsewhere..

the wiring diagrams are in the Performance Manual.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ok we had this problem before, then it stopped. It started again tonight, lights kept flickering on and off, speedo/tach stopped working continuously. Only registered 91 of 161 miles today on odometer.

JUST got it back from the dealer yesterday who is 2 hours away. Craig told them about the short and that he thought it might be in the dimmer or the left handwarmer. Instead of checking to see, they just put a new hi/lo controller thingy on and said they couldn't get it to fail.

It worked great today for about 70 miles and then ppffftt. Rather dangerous to try and get back at night with little for lights, and every time he hits the brake the light dims out instead of getting bright.

Can someone post a diagram that will show where the voltage regulator is located?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Ultrastryk, I don't know if this is your problem or not. Just a guess, but my dealer had a sled with the same problem. The lights were flickering and the gauges were going out. There is a black, protective plastic sheathing on the wires in the hood. Where it starts behind the gauges, measure about a foot back. There is a silver wire connection that has about 5 or 6 grounds all tied into it. Make sure they are all connected. I don't know if you will be able to feel it through the plastic or if you will have to carefully slit the plastic to find it. I found it on mine because the wires were laying on the pipe and melted through the plastic right at that point. I had my headlights out and forgot to put a zip tie back on it. There will be brown and brown/white wires all tied into it. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts