Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from the flat-lands and need advice, wife and I are planning our honeymoon (dec 16-23) and I need help finding locations to go that will be most suited for our skills. We both have 136'ed sleds so we are looking for some powder and some trails, and not really any hill climbing. I think we would like to stay in the lower elevations so as not to get beaten up by the changes so much, and I think we would also like to stay in the north eastern part of the state because we are coming from south dakota but if we need to go to the central part of the state or even the western part if that part of the state will better accomidate our needs that might be possible. Any lodges or areas would be greatly appreciated. This is our first trip to anywhere so keep it small scale at least for the first day as we are use to riding ditches and fields not mountains and meadows. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I've been to Colorado 3 times and we have always gone to Grand Lake. They have trails and powder. Last time was in the early 90's. Enjoyed the riding and the accomodations. Don't recall the names of hotels or lodges but here is a link you can start with http://local.yahoo.com/results?csz=Grand+L...cation_state=CO

This is one of the few areas I would always return to. It is at 9,500 elevation and our first trip their was organized by a friend that was living in Denver at the time. Based on the link I sent you there are a lot more accomodations there now then when I was there.

Congratulations on your up coming wedding, and enjoy.

·
Registered
355 Posts
yup, we've riden Grand Lake for years. The www.snowwest.com site has good info on trails/maps/lodging. If there is good snow, you can stay in downtown grandlake and ride out of town to the trail system. If not, you 'll have to trailer them 5 or so miles to the trail head. Vast trail system with intermediate riding all over. If you want more powder and less trails, Rabbitt Ears.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I have read the grand lake area is exactly what we are looking for and we are also stopping by laramie for a couple days on the return trip home to hit the snowies as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What did you find for snow and conditions, like 1-2 ft of snow or like 3-4 ft of snow and did you find it in meadows or bowls or in some trees or what.

thanks guys for the insight we flatlanders are getting into too much sometimes

·
Registered
82 Posts
Grand Lake is a great place. Small town with great food and drinking establishments. Trails are nice and well maintained. Many places to get off and play around. There in a place just off the lake in " downtown" Grand Lake, I cannot remember the name, but they have what they call a " Tree House" cabin. It is a 2 bedroom apartment really and is awesome. Planning on going again this year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Grand Lake is good for newcomers as there is an extensive well marked trail system, as well as some nice meadows and hillclimbs, you just don't want to head off into the offtrail backcountry without some mountain experience, if your on the trail in Grand Lake you will be easy to find should you have any problems. The trail can get pretty bumpy though, I believe they groom on thursdays, and usually you can ride right thru town from your room to the trail, see sledcity.com or coloradosnowmobileassociation.com for more info. or feel free to email me if you have any questions. Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts