Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping my fellow HCS members may be able to help me out. I'm trying to get my dad's 99 MXZ 600 running for the Christmas season. I can't get the PTO side cylinder to fire. I've got spark, tons of fuel, and 105 PSI compression (110 in other). It just won't go. It hasn't been ridden in almost two years is the big problem here. Obviously maintainence hasn't been high priority. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. :frech32:

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
"Tons of fuel"?! It won't fire like that! You need vapor man! I'm not sure on this motor but look at which cyl. the fuel pump impulse line goes to. a bad pump will flood the cyl and not fire. Most sleds are mag side fuel pump impulse tho. Next go through that carb again making sure the float doesn't have a hole or nothing is preventing the needle from seating. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jog my memory for me. How again do I check to see if the needle is seated? I'm pretty sure that it is. Everything with the carb seems to be fine. I started to think about a fuel pump as well.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
By the book you remove the carb from the sled drain the fuel in the bowl, turn upside down still assembled and pressurize the fuel inlet fitting to 5 psi and should not drop any psi. I have just been using an extra short length of gas free hose and my mouth lately. you'll know if it's leaking. Also you can disassemble the carb and visually inspect the needle and seat for damage. I have had debris stuck in the seating area before and it did not seal. Also check the floats for free up and down movement. The rods they slide on can corrode when stored for long periods of time and hamper the smooth operation of the floats.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
While you have the carbs off, open the bottoms and check the bowls for debris and make sure the jets are open. Also, I have seen a ton of two strokes over the years that have leaked gas/injection oil into the jug so bad that the crankcase is almost full. You really need to pull the pipes, remove the power valves, rotate the pistons up and check the crankcase if its been sitting that long.. It is probably sucking a bunch of raw fuel up thru the transfers.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Orange spark or Blue spark? If Orange, rid the plugs. New plugs, be sure she it firing BLUE on both cyls and put a shot of FRESH mixed gas in each plug hole. NOT a bunch, just a splash. Fresh gas in tank and try this first. If no luck then pull the carbs and de-varnish them, compressed air and be sure needle and floats aint stickin. Make SURE oil adjustment is CORRECT when re-installing the carbs or you may have a MELTDOWN! Also be sure that Both plugs are GROUNDED before checking for spark. Not doing so can FRY the stator.

·
Registered
460 Posts
clean the carbs. make sure the pilot and main jets are clear in each carb!
install a fresh set of plugs and i bet she fires right up.
did you try a splash of gas down the sparkplug holes? if it fires by doing that, the carbs need cleaning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.