Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm finally in a position to upgrade from my 2006 skidoo renegade 600 sdi. looking to get into either a 600 rush pro s or a 600 pro s switchback. looking at models 2015-2017. anything i need to pay special attention to? what would be considered high miles for each particular year? i know that this last question is extremely opinionated, which sled is best for trail riding? thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
I have a pro R 600 Switchback and love it. I can tell you this, I don't ever plan on buying a 121 track machine again. The 136 is excellent on trails. I can jam on just as good as a short track. You will have no regrets with a Axys 600 Switchback. The motor is very reliable and plenty powerful. 10000 mile engines no problem.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
15 and up :thumbsup: herd that the 17 are the golden years for the 800 not sure if it's true or not

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a pro R 600 Switchback and love it. I can tell you this, I don't ever plan on buying a 121 track machine again. The 136 is excellent on trails. I can jam on just as good as a short track. You will have no regrets with a Axys 600 Switchback. The motor is very reliable and plenty powerful. 10000 mile engines no problem.
if you don't mind me asking, what's the main differences between a pro s and r? have you ridden both?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
if you don't mind me asking, what's the main differences between a pro s and r? have you ridden both?

Pro R is the old proride chassis, Pro S is Axys. It’s definitely worth the money for an Axys. Once you spend a little time tweaking the suspension it’s so great playful and soaks up the bumps. If you’re a 600 type of person you’ll probably like the 137 better. It’s more stable you only feel the extra length in the real real tight twisties. Do a compression test and a fresh tip end is never a bad idea if it’s a little low and or has a bunch of miles. Checking all the bearings would be a good idea. Jack shaft, driveshaft, bogies. That sled has no zerks on it so you have to pick the seals out and check them. Other than that the 600 Pro S is pretty damn rock solid.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
I have ridden both. The Axys is definitely better. I'm not knocking the R, but no doubt the axys is the way to go. The S is butter smooth, excellent trail machine.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
whats your weight and riding style? if a big rider / likes to push it a bit , you might consider the XCR too

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If you are a lazier upright rider get the shorter track. If you are aggressive with your body position get the SB. I find the ProR to be more playful and lots of fun but the Axys more refined and better at dealing with varied terrain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats your weight and riding style? if a big rider / likes to push it a bit , you might consider the XCR too
52 yrs old 5'7'' 180ish. honestly most of the time just cruise, usually try to do around 175-225 miles a day. i do like pushing at times, but mostly want a reliable well handling comfortable sled especially when the trails turn into complete crater wash boards. i've checked into insurance and realized an 800 same model is only bucks more so now i'm also looking at 800's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are a lazier upright rider get the shorter track. If you are aggressive with your body position get the SB. I find the ProR to be more playful and lots of fun but the Axys more refined and better at dealing with varied terrain.
honestly i probably fall somewhere in the middle of this? if i had to choose between the two probably "lazier"

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
Stick with a 600. The Switchback is what you want trust me. The Axys 800s are pretty reliable, but the 600 is gas and oil and go.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
With your stated age, weight and riding style personally I would stay away from the R or the XCR.

Of the two choices you're looking at I think both are fantastic sleds, it really comes down to the options that are on each sled that you want, need or desire and track length.

Personally I'm in the camp that a 136 or 144 is the preferred track length for a trail sled. But I'm also a big fan of off trail riding whenever possible.

Good luck with whatever choice you go with, I think you're going to really enjoy either sled.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
In the ProR the SB wasn't more work, in the Axys it is. Will turn just as well, but it takes a more active rider. Since you state lazier, I'd save the dough and get the 600 short track.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I currently own 5 sleds. 2015 and a 16 Pro S 800 Switchbacks, 2012 Pro R 600 Switchback, 2012 Pro R 600 Rush, and a 2010 Pro R 600 Rush. This past year was the first year I had the 800's. The 600 motors are bullet proof. I have 12,000 miles on the 2012 600 Switchback and its still got just as much compression as it did when I bought it with 2800 miles on it. As far as chassis is concerned, I was amazed by the difference between the Pro R and the Pro S chassis. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Pro r's but the Pro s chassis feels way lighter and more nibble. The new 800 motors are crazy smooth and to be honest, there's not a lot of difference in power from a 600 until you get up above 60mph. After 60, the 600 has a nice smooth pull to 95-100 but the 800 pulls hard to 100-105.

Now, all that said. I bought my 2015 and my 2016 Pro S 800 Switchbacks used this past winter. Both of them have had the complete engines replaced under warranty and both came with all the paperwork from the dealerships that did the work. the 2015 blew up with 3500 miles on it and was replaced with a factory shortblock under warranty. It currently has 6800 miles on it and runs great. My 2016 Pro S 800 Switchback lost a crank bearing at 2600 miles and was also replaced with a factory shortblock under warranty and now has 3100 miles on it and is just like a brand new sled. I bought them both because they were awesome deals and I figured with new motors they'd be worth a shot. They handle great and go like hell but if I were going to the dealership to buy brand new, I might go with a new Pro S 600 Switchback.

best of luck with your chioce.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you all for your responses! i'm 99% postive going to go with the switchback. doing a lot homework trying to find a 600. the one thing i would love to have on the sled is the Polaris PIDD gauge. i know you can purchase one from dealer, does the sled have to be reprogrammed for the PIDD to work? or is it plug and play?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Mileage follows the gauge, it is also horribly expensive even if you know a Polaris employee who can get it for "cheap". Expect to cry when you hear the price. WAY, WAY better off finding a sled with one already. If not, grab a Garmin and rip the trails on that. Not as convenient as zooming from the handlebars, but no way I'd add a PIDD aftermarket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts