Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Southern N.H the other night with a few friends and we were hitting the local rail bed at a good clip. Grooming has basically stopped and you can imagine what the trail looked like. Example: My buddy with his 97sx 600 snapped his rear skid and had to turn around. Anyway after a solid 2 hrs of bump riding, we headed back to the trailers. 20 miles from home I had kicked up the pace. My F7 as most of you know from your own experience, can handle the rough with ease and stay straight as an arrow. Well my confidence got the better of me and I was hitting speeds between 60-70 mph. I knew a small 2 ft jump was coming (something I've hit all season) and hit it going around 60mph. What happened next was just a little scary. The sled bottomed hard and launched me straight into the air. My buddy behind me claims the bottom of my track was at least 6' up, with me and the rest of the sled standing vertical at around 10'. I started to canter to the right and saw a nice oak tree. I decided to bail and to my surprise I landed rather softly while my sled landed like a true cat on all 4 (3 really) and coasted to a stop. In a split second I said to myself" holy shit, I'm ok!" Well my friend, who was following me at the same speed, lost me in the ball of snow dust and smacked me square in the back/spine. It felt like a sledge hammer. I felt instant pain as the wind was knocked out of me. I thought my back was broken. I made it to my feet, thank god, with quite a bit of pain. I wasn't sure what the hell I had for injuries. I took a piss to see if there was any blood and it was ok. I could barely stand up straight and my shoulders were pointing one way while my waist in another. After gathering ourselves we checked out the landing. I had flew 28 paces(just under 90 ft) from the "small" 2 footer. I was luckiy to be alive. I made the decision to ride back to the trailer to load up. Once there I was a 265 lb pile of JUNK. I couldn't load my sled and could barely get into my truck.
The next day I went to the emergency room for some Xrays, since I thought for sure something was broke. The xrays came back ok. I got the famous shot in the arse and loaded up on Valium. I'm going for an MRI this week.
While sitting here banging my head against the wall for being so stupid, I've come up with a few observations that I hope may help/save a few others...
I'm married and have a 5 yr old daughter, I own my own house and have a very secure job. I'm not a Hibbert/Morgan wanna be, but love to ride at a above average clip. I like to save the WOT stuff for the lakes and wide staight aways. I keep to my side of the trail and use good judgement(99% of the time). It's this 1% of the time that I think most of us can relate too. I was clearly going way to fast for this type of terrain, even though my sled had know problem with it. My friend behind me might have been alittle to close for comfort, but I'm in know way blaming him. After riding 2 solid hours in the rough, I definetley know my stock shocks had faded(understandable). When we went back to look at the "small" incline I had hit, we found that it had a small double built into it(just a small hump of snow 1/4 up). I believe this caused my rear skid to prematurely compress and when I hit the larger part of the bump, I bottomed hard causing me to spring into the air. I know I've read how other people have experienced this so I'm sure some of you can relate. It's kind of like when you put a 2x4 under your track and see how easily it compresses.
I was very lucky that I didn't get....well you know, and I don't like to think about that outcome. I'm lucky and thank god I'll be able to ride next year. Ride safe guys and gals, it only takes one time, that 1% of overconfidence that these sleds give us. Sorry for the long lecture. :(

S

·
0 Posts
I guess I'm about the same as you married with children. I bought my Tek Vest about 4 years ago. I would recomend it to everyone who rides, I say this because I did not miss the tree I got it staight in the face. My ZR600 was totalled I went over the bars and got the full force of about 50mph in the helmet and chest. I jumped up and had a smoke while I looked at the sled, then I realized the vest just saved my life. Now my kids are not aloud to ride unless they have there vest on. I would rather they break and arm or leg then have internal injuries that could kill them.
I'm glad you are ok

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya. That sounds like a hard blow to the vitals! I'm not out of the woods yet. I'm taking alot of pain killers and anti antiflamitories(spelling) just to get by. I'm hoping my alignment gets better. My wife and kid have to help me get dressed. It's been a pretty good wake up call.

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
you are dam lucky!!!!
in 1984 i hit a tree and broke my back.
i stoped drinking and riding then and there.
at that time my first wife was pregnant,
with our second daughter.
i realized other people need me.
it's not just about having a lot of fun all the time.
i go like hell some time's ...... but i know when,
and where.
i have 3 grandchildren as of now.
i want to see them grow up.
i hope the mri showes your OK.
take my advice....slow your ass down.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Holy shit dude, that is scary, and I'm glad your MOSTLY OK... but I'm also glad you realize how stupid you were riding faster over that junk than you KNOW you should've been going. I honestly hope you're not so stupid that you EVER make that mistake again, as it sounds like you've possibly had a few close calls doing the same thing before?????

Someone used to have a saying on one of the snowmo boards that I've never forgotten: "It's better to be careful a thousand times than to get killed once."

I wonder how many accidents would be prevented, or lives saved, if a big ol' sticker of that saying was stuck somewhere on our sleds where we could see it at all times... LOL, like maybe over the speedometer?! And if you don't like that idea, how about a nice little picture somewhere on our sleds (instead of stuck away in a wallet!) of our loved ones just to remind us that yes, there ARE people who love us and count on us to safely return from a FUN outing of enjoying our hobby?!

Anyway, I truly hope all turns out well for you Craig. Good luck! -- Roy

·
Registered
634 Posts
I ride hard with a friend and the one rule we stick with is zero booze. These machines are way to fast for even one beer. If ya like to ride and ride hard, ride sober, for you and the other guys on the trail with kids.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I hear ya on being careful. I have ridden with many people who override their ability or headlights at night and it is scary sometimes just to keep up with them. Granted speed is definitely one of the reasons we like this sport and with the new suspensions it's so easy to not realize how fast we are really going. These new suspensions definitely are safer than the old ones in terms of handling and getting people out of bad situations, but it you're going over 50mph and hit something it doesn't matter what kind of suspension you have or if your on a 1976 rupp.
I tend to get really pissed off when people make fun of the slower riders in a group in an effort to prove their machismo and brag about what great riders they are. It's a small penis thing. The problem i feel happens is when someone is doing 75-80 while someone else is doing 40-55. What happens is the guy going faster is either a better rider or on a better sled, they get way ahead, and then the less experienced rider who doesn't want to hold up the group tries to make up time and does something stupid, as to not be made fun of or slow the others in the group down. It is vital that people not override their ability or headlights. All this crap about this sled will do 110mph and that one will only do 105 mph and which one is fastest. My God, I have a 500 that will easily do 90 mph, what more does one need. It's so obvious that the faster you go the less control you have and the more dangerous it is. I don't want to tell people what to buy, but this obsession with speed is just scary. Most people can have a good time on a sled and never go over 70mph. NO wonder insurance companies don't want to insure sleds over 600cc's. They aren't stupid, they want to make money. They know where the risk is. Sorry for the length and if this sounded preachy, it wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
745 Posts
this year in late january was up on MI border, was going down a hill lost all control, was glare ice, and hit a tree goin 40 mph. Got the handlebars in the chest, cause i had a had a zr 500 with snocross handlebars, and felt a little pain in the stomach. Thought i was fine, so i had one of my buddies drive me back to the hotel on his sled, and was about 20 miles away. Jumped in the truck and he took me to the hospital. Colapsed lung, laserated liver and internal bleeding! Doc says i am lucky to be alive. Sled was totaled, got a new one tho. And two weekends before that i couldn't deside if i wanted to get studs or not this year because we had barely any snow around (at least where i live) and didn't want to ruin them. Should have put them on. Putting them on my new sled for next season for sure! My friend almost hit the same tree, barely missed it :lol: that would have been bad if i ran into him too. Both would have been in a world of hurt. I think i am getting a tekvest too for next year. Well safe riding guys! even tho the season is over for most of us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Craig...

Glad you are (mostly) ok. Hope the tests come up negative. Shit like that makes one realize that they are mortal after all. I can relate. You start thinking about how the odds are someday going to catch up with you. I don't ride nearly as fast as I used to. I'd rather be in one piece.

All the best..

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Add me to the nightmare List. In the year 2001 I got hit by an idiot who was driving like a retard and missed a corner while I was on my brand new t cat with only 400 miles on it , off I go about 50 ft through the air. Broken Collar bone, Mangled left shoulder the whole nine yards. I had to get taken out of the woods on one of those rescue sleds. It was a complete nightmare. I own my own construction company which added to the long term ramifications. Ended my riding season instantaneously and created enormous hardships for me long after the crash.

I'm Glad that everyone telling there horror stories is still here to tell them Including Me Jim !!
and as a direct reply to craig388 Glad your ok!!
Jim !!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Alcohol was definitley NOT in the equation. I feel that I'm a pretty smart guy and do and will learn from mine and others mistakes. That's why I posted this. I made a very stupid mistake that could have cost me everything. My buddy who hit me has one of those pictures of his wife and kid glued to his dash. I'll be laminating one of my favorites and do the same. We are definetly mortals!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Two kids were out for a ride this week and the lead guy decided to hit a couple of drifts just off the trail. The rider behind him follows, the lead rider hits the drift and falls off his machine. With all the snow dust the rider behind was to close and ran him over. This 15 year old is now dead. This is a same to hear about these things.

Please ride safe.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Originally posted by Snowblind@Mar 16 2003, 02:31 PM
I guess I'm about the same as you married with children. I bought my Tek Vest about 4 years ago. I would recomend it to everyone who rides, I say this because I did not miss the tree I got it staight in the face. My ZR600 was totalled I went over the bars and got the full force of about 50mph in the helmet and chest. I jumped up and had a smoke while I looked at the sled, then I realized the vest just saved my life. Now my kids are not aloud to ride unless they have there vest on. I would rather they break and arm or leg then have internal injuries that could kill them.
I'm glad you are ok
hmmm never thought of that......

·
Registered
575 Posts
I hear ya on being careful. I have ridden with many people who override their ability or headlights at night and it is scary sometimes just to keep up with them. Granted speed is definitely one of the reasons we like this sport and with the new suspensions it's so easy to not realize how fast we are really going. These new suspensions definitely are safer than the old ones in terms of handling and getting people out of bad situations, but it you're going over 50mph and hit something it doesn't matter what kind of suspension you have or if your on a 1976 rupp.
I tend to get really pissed off when people make fun of the slower riders in a group in an effort to prove their machismo and brag about what great riders they are. It's a small penis thing. The problem i feel happens is when someone is doing 75-80 while someone else is doing 40-55. What happens is the guy going faster is either a better rider or on a better sled, they get way ahead, and then the less experienced rider who doesn't want to hold up the group tries to make up time and does something stupid, as to not be made fun of or slow the others in the group down. It is vital that people not override their ability or headlights. All this crap about this sled will do 110mph and that one will only do 105 mph and which one is fastest. My God, I have a 500 that will easily do 90 mph, what more does one need. It's so obvious that the faster you go the less control you have and the more dangerous it is. I don't want to tell people what to buy, but this obsession with speed is just scary. Most people can have a good time on a sled and never go over 70mph. NO wonder insurance companies don't want to insure sleds over 600cc's. They aren't stupid, they want to make money. They know where the risk is. Sorry for the length and if this sounded preachy, it wasn't meant to be.
[/QUOTE]

Fenderu2, well said. I experienced this and was ragged on hard for not keeping up with 600s on a 340. However I didn ot override my ability, I went along at a pace that I was comfortable with and never got into an accident. I now own a Formula Z 583 with no brakes. Yup no brakes, I know its stupid but there isn't anything that will keep me off the trails. Now, the brakes will be fixed because of an incident i experienced. Me and a pal were going along at a solid 60 when we came to a bridge, my friend stopped to let another guy come the other way on a ONE LANE bridge, I swerved back and forth to try and slow down, but I was still going 50 when i approached the bridge, luckily the guy was as far as he could go on the other side and I got over far enough to get by but almost too much, only having about an inch of clearance on the other side before my ski would have slipped off and I probably would have been in sad shape if not dead. Instead I rubbed skis with the guy on the wy by and motion to him that I was sorry and showed him I had no brakes. Bad mistakes, no matter what other people think, you do need brakes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
A few weeks ago my uncle and i came upon wreck in the trail. A brand new zr 800 with 38 miles collided withan srx at, the police said, close to 70 each. Wow. what a mess. thank god both the guys were alive. that scared the shit outta me. im only 15 but after seeing that i just wondered why i even tried to ride that fast through trails. All the fun hotdogging doesnt pay. My Z 570 does 85 mph, why do i need to go faster? Ive learned so much this year riding, i heard about a 13 year old killed on the first ride of the year.
Be careful guys, my uncle and da never drink on the trail, but theres a million other idiots out there who do, comin around a corner at 60, dont care, and theyre usually the one who makes it, not the innocent guy. Oh well have fun.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Originally posted by Craig388@Mar 16 2003, 03:16 PM
I was in Southern N.H the other night with a few friends and we were hitting the local rail bed at a good clip.  Grooming has basically stopped and you can imagine what the trail looked like.  Example:  My buddy with his 97sx 600 snapped his rear skid and had to turn around.  Anyway after a solid 2 hrs of bump riding, we headed back to the trailers.  20 miles from home I had kicked up the pace.  My F7 as most of you know from your own experience, can handle the rough with ease and stay straight as an arrow.  Well my confidence got the better of me and I was hitting speeds between 60-70 mph.  I knew a small 2 ft jump was coming (something I've hit all season) and hit it going around 60mph.  What happened next was just a little scary.  The sled bottomed hard and launched me straight into the air.  My buddy behind me claims the bottom of my track was at least 6' up, with me and the rest of the sled standing vertical at around 10'.  I started to canter to the right and saw a nice oak tree.  I decided to bail and to my surprise I landed rather softly while my sled landed like a true cat on all 4 (3 really) and coasted to a stop.  In a split second I said to myself" holy shit, I'm ok!"  Well my friend, who was following me at the same speed, lost me in the ball of snow dust and smacked me square in the back/spine.  It felt like a sledge hammer.  I felt instant pain as the wind was knocked out of me.  I thought my back was broken.  I made it to my feet, thank god, with quite a bit of pain.  I wasn't sure what the hell I had for injuries.  I took a piss to see if there was any blood and it was ok.  I could barely stand up straight and my shoulders were pointing one way while my waist in another.  After gathering ourselves we checked out the landing.  I had flew 28 paces(just under 90 ft) from the "small" 2 footer.  I was luckiy to be alive.  I made the decision to ride back to the trailer to load up.  Once there I was a 265 lb pile of JUNK.  I couldn't load my sled and could barely get into my truck.
The next day I went to the emergency room for some Xrays, since I thought for sure something was broke.  The xrays came back ok.  I got the famous shot in the arse and loaded up on Valium.  I'm going for an MRI this week.
    While sitting here banging my head against the wall for being so stupid, I've come up with a few observations that I hope may help/save a few others...
    I'm married and have a 5 yr old daughter, I own my own house and have a very secure job.  I'm not a Hibbert/Morgan wanna be, but love to ride at a above average clip.  I like to save the WOT stuff for the lakes and wide staight aways.  I keep to my side of the trail and use good judgement(99% of the time).  It's this 1% of the time that I think most of us can relate too.  I was clearly going way to fast for this type of terrain, even though my sled had know problem with it.  My friend behind me might have been alittle to close for comfort, but I'm in know way blaming him.  After riding 2 solid hours in the rough, I definetley know my stock shocks had faded(understandable).  When we went back to look at the "small" incline I had hit, we found that it had a small double built into it(just a small hump of snow 1/4 up).  I believe this caused my rear skid to prematurely compress and when I hit the larger part of the bump, I bottomed hard causing me to spring into the air.  I know I've read how other people have experienced this so I'm sure some of you can relate.  It's kind of like when you put a 2x4 under your track and see how easily it compresses.
  I was very lucky that I didn't get....well you know, and I don't like to think about that outcome.  I'm lucky and thank god I'll be able to ride next year.  Ride safe guys and gals, it only takes one time, that 1% of overconfidence that these sleds give us.  Sorry for the long lecture. :(
I had a similar experiance 4 years ago. I hit a 5 foot washout in the trail at 75+. It really slowed my ass down. Luckily I only bruised my knee. Good to hear you're in one piece.

A local kid got hit in the back two weekends ago. He's a paralyzed from the waist down. 28 years old w/a 3 yo daughter. Hit an ice shove at 85per.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wear the body armour guys. I wear my Tek Vest all the time. Examples why: Few years ago, a guy killed by riding buddy spearing him from behind (no body armour); another one where a young teen fell off his sled at not so fast speed, but put a twig through is lung and died shortly after. Both these accidents could have much rosier conclusions with the proper safety attire.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
wow! i was riding a 1980 srx back in 1984 up in twinn mtn.s new hampshire they have these pipes under the highway so you can go under rather than take a chance crossing highway well i was riding along the slanted banking next to the road all of sudden the sun blinded me luckily i was going slow and was looking for the drop off as to not go over it ,because it was about 10 feet down (straight)well guess what that instant i looked up i was allready over it and going down straight to the ground just like a cartoon except this is me not wileycyote front of sled was flat as a pancake handlebars allmost took my balls off (don,t worry there still here ) neck was a little stiff back was too, but that was it gave up sledding for 13 years well i was never a fast rider just a accident prone one, but thats my story i ride today and still slow, glad youre ok and the rest too. thunderbird

·
Registered
257 Posts
I can relate to this stuff too. (sort of) I was about 4th in a line of 8. I came across some twisties trying to keep up with the other sleds. I had 6 inch half worn carbides and no picks. (this is on my 98 EXT) I got out of control and had to bail or I thought I would hit this tree. I only hurt my knees, and only for a day, but I definatley want to be more prepared as far as my sled and my abilites go. I will be picked on my F7 and I will have new carbides each and every season. I will also try to ride at a safer pace given the current conditions of a trail and my surroundings.

I have begun to think a Tek Vest would be a good idea too.
I mean why not right? I wear a helmet to protect my head right?

I see that Arctic cat offers a type of Tek Vest.
Does anyone have one of these?
Would a Tek Vest protect you from a puncture wound as well as an impact?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have a two year old and a 3 month old...NEVER...NEVER ride without my tek vest....just like their advertisement says...."for those of you who need to be somewhere monday morning" On monday morning my kids need me to be there....its gotten to a point that I get spooked if I'm not wearing it...like something bad will happen...so I always have it on...better safe than sorry I guess

1 - 20 of 25 Posts