Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some very negative vibes concerning what could happen to snowmobiling in N.H. this winter. An article in the Coos Democrate basically stated the Iron clad insurance program for clubs,land owners is full of holes and unless measures are taken to solve this ugly problem,grooming by many clubs and end of landowner use, could dramatically affect riding in the state this winter.

Does anyone know about this.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have read the so-called news article about iron clad insurance. I say so-called because it wasn't an article. It was a letter to the editor from two residents. The didn't have anything listed as resources for their editorial other than their opinion.

This was a more of a vendetta or axe to gring than a fact based story. I find it hard to believe that they could have got all legal info regarding lawsuits that are in progress etc. Any person involved in these proceedings would be barred from speaking about this stuff.

They say the landowners are in danger from insurance protection and so forth. And furthermore they speak of good ole boy club in state level politics being the cause for no coverage. The politicians were testing the RSA's not the insurance. This is nothing to due with the insurance. The problem was an interpretation of the RSA statute as far as assigned liability. The problem lies in this and what part of the statute applies to volunteers and clubs as stewards or agents of landowners.The states insurance policy for trails and landowner protects landowners. The club is an agent protecting the landowners best interest in the use of the particular property. The RSA say you cannot sue the landowner but doesn't say that about ind. or club acting as agent for landowner. The club has a separate liability policy for it's members and club it's self. If the RSA that was misinterpreted implied that those acting as agents for the property owner were exempt from suit. I think you would find that the lawyers would rather be able to sue the state but thats not happening. Next in line is club and the insurance coverage changes. Bottem line is that you shouldn't have to risk being sued while volunteering. Just to defend yourself from a frivolous lawsuit would be in the tens of thousands. If the operator had been being paid for his work the clubs insurance would have taken care of it right away. This would be like any other business out there with employees.

If you go to the news paper web site and do search under snowmobile you will find letter. I feel that the paper would never have printed such a short sighted, liable and slanderous story without seeking all of the info. But with it being editoral they are off the hook and will generate readership. Just my opinion!

Freedom Rider

·
Registered
128 Posts
Still, it is not a dead issue. I know a lot of farmers are sick of snowmobilers and say the money they get from the clubs doesn't come near to covering the cost of the cleanup of trash, repairs to fences and other property damage, etc they incur at the end of the season. This is in the lakes region where land based trails are disappearing every year due to land development. We just lost a bunch of trails near my house due to two huge housing developments.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Sleds wreck fences?
And cause other monetary damages?
If this happens, it is partially the clubs fault for not dealing with it.
And what money do "farmers" get from sledders or clubs? Besides gates and bridges?

·
Registered
128 Posts
One local farmer I go fishing with picked up over 50 bags of trash after the snow melt, mostly beer cans and food wrappers. Two sections of fence had to be rebuilt because sledders wanted to use a big field he had fenced off and tore them down.

Plus sledders often strayed from the trails and tore up his lawns and gardens. He videotaped everything and a couple sledders were cited with trespassing citations, but he says the noise and aggravation isn't worth it any more. Unless the club agrees to clean up the trash and repair any damage, his trails will be off limits this year.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Originally posted by oldtimer@Aug 24 2005, 10:49 PM
Sleds wreck fences?
And cause other monetary damages?
If this happens, it is partially the clubs fault for not dealing with it.
And what money do "farmers" get from sledders or clubs? Besides gates and bridges?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=846949
[/quote]
I think OT is right it comes down to the club doing there job. I know that in our club it is the clubs responsibility to pick up the trash during and at the end of the season. If you don’t want to see the trails in your area closed get involved with your local club and try to solve the problems.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with OT and ckf at the of the season and maybe begining of spring after mud season there should be trash work parties.If the people responseable for doing the damage are caught they should (1) pay for any damage even if by accident (2)If for trash ,they should be made to go back and clean the area,plus pay a fine.Just my 2cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts