Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, any help would be GREAT...(GLS, please read)....

One of my buddies has an F7 SP that is STOCK with about 1350 miles on it. It has had all the SBs done to it. At about 1000 miles it started to have an odd Spark Plug fouling problem. He runs BR9EYA, and he is defiantly a hard rider that knows how to keep the sled "burped".

Upon further investigation, we noticed that the plugs are FUEL fouled (not oil). Sometimes the sled would foul a plug during warm-up.

Also, it really started to foul plugs every 5-10 miles when it became night. The even colder temps added additional problems. He even tried steady-thumb riding out of desperation...no luck.

Now we figured it was obviously something EFI, sensor, or electronics related. We took the sled to the dealer, and he called Cat. Cat sent him two entirely new throttle bodies with sensors. (Cat said, that they didn't want the dealers working on tb sensors themsleves.) The dealer did test the sled after the work was done. They ran it for 15-20 minutes (sevral times) in a very large field behind their service dept., and didn't have any problems. Only thing was that it was during 20 to 30 degree days.

So, on the next trip...same problem. We even swapped sleds for awhile, no dice. Now the sled sits at the dealer. Neither the dealer nor Cat knows what to do. He would like Cat to replace the entire electrical system (ECU and all), but Cat isn't up for that. Another situation is that even if Cat suggests something else, my buddy will not know if the sled is correct until November....possibly on a trip.

My buddy loves his F7..his first Cat. He wants to keep it and is looking for help on this issue.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
to me it sounds like there is an injector not spraying correctly, but if its all new how could that be ? id try another injector , who knows maybe 2 bad? if thats not it , maybe its getting a weaker spark to that plug , has anyone tested the output of that side yet?? its a simple system when you get right down to it.............if it was the air temp sensor both cyls would run to rich, your only having an issue with one side, correct???? also have they checked the compression to see if its up to par, lower compression will not burn the fuel correctly..............

·
Registered
4 Posts
make sure vent hose from ecu is clear and not obstructed. Insist dealer swap ecus to test if necessary.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
ok, with that being said i would check what rob said plus the ignition system to make sure it is putting out the proper voltage.
id still check compression if they have not done so already as well............if its to much fuel maybe the pressure regulator is bad ? the pressure regulator is on the fuel pump .........................

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just talked to my dealer about similar problems I encountered this weekend where 1 cylinder was doing what yours was doing. He claims is the coil and stator. Getting those replaced this week and will see if he's right on this upcoming Saturday's ride.

S

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem on a 700 wildcat efi, it ended up being the fuel regulator.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Did you check the ECU hose for clogging?

Fuel Regulator?

How does it perform while its running?

Pull off temp sensor to see if it helps if it doesn`t foul out then you could have a bad sensor.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Mar 17 2003, 08:10 AM
make sure vent hose from ecu is clear and not obstructed. Insist dealer swap ecus to test if necessary.
For what its worth, I have looked under the hood of several F-Cats, and saw more than one ECU vent line pinched by the cable that holds the hood from flipping over. Good luck with the problem.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
We had a similar problem with our familys Doo. I changed the plug wires and caps and viola, good a gold. I don't think you can separate the wires from the AC coil so you'll either need the whole coil/wire/cap unit or buy the NGK wires and splicing connectors. See the NGK items in the link to the Royal Distributing's Catalog (Canada).

http://www.royaldistributing.com/servlet/M...age=index1.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
5B
I don't know if I have enough info to help identify this problem. Does it act up during driving, idling,? What happens when it acts up, does it drop a cylinder or does run quality change? I'm thinking that it's not fouling plugs. If it drops a cylinder, try the plugs and caps as stated in this post. They can cause that situation. If it goes flat when accelerating to WOT after slow driving, check the pipe for cracks, or switch pipes with another sled. I've seen a pipe thats too big volume wise, do this after slow to medium trail speed driving. The system goes cold and falls flat. Check the other things mentioned in this post also, baro hose pinched, have the dealer check rail pressure etc. I would need more detailed info to help any more right now. Hope some of this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts