Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get my wife to do some snowmobiling with me for some time now but our young children (6 year old daughter and twins boy and girl that are just over 2) have kept us from doing that. She has never ridden a trail system of any kind nor has she ridden for extended periods of time on a sled. Well, all of that is coming to an end soon.........I hope. Last Friday my dealer talked me into trading in my "02" Ski-Doo MXZ 500 Trail for a leftover "06" Ski-Doo GSX 500ss Sport he still had in the crate. I just made reservations to spend 3 nights up in the Keweenaw with her alone in a few weeks. Got the kids going to the grandparents and the hounds are being watched too. This will be our first snowmobile trip together and I can hardly wait! Last year I bought her a Klim outfit for Christmas and planned on going to the Newberry, MI area but that changed when I broke my knee from snowmobiling just 10 day's before our trip. Man I just hope things go well and we get the chance to get away. I hope the Buff trail opens up before our trip so she can get some riding time in too. We'll see. Need some luck.

Safe riding!

Mike

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Sounds great, I hope she has a great time. It makes it easier to spend money, and invest time, when spouses are involved too. I'm still working on that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Got my wife into it early when we first met. She didn't like it much because she got cold riding double. So when I let her ride my dads sled, she started really liking it. Then I did the best thing I could do. I bought her a new sled before I ever bought myself a new sled. I let her pick the one she wanted and she has loved it ever since. We do a couple trips together each year without the kids and we do some riding with the kids. We have a caboose and my brother has a caboose, so its pretty easy to take the kids out and have fun. I hope you guys have a great time, and I hope that she really likes it. One thing you might want to watch with her inexperience is there are a lot of IDIOTS in the U.P. that like to hog the trail. WHEN YOU STOP, GET WAY OFF THE TRAIL. I'd hate to see your trip get ruined by some IDIOT up there. Looks like there is a slight chance we could get enough snow to ride this weekend on the Buffalo run trails. Well hope you have a great time.

Joe.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Allllllrighhhtt! She will love it! My wife hated cold, snow too when I met her. In 2000 She rode a new sled my sister owned and was hooked! The rest is a relatively expensive history. Like animal said, you may be able to ride the B-run this weekend to test things out.

I'll update everyone morning on the website with the latest local news.

Tony

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya guy's! I'm dealing with all the same issues and probably then some. Expense, time to get away together, cold body parts, sitters for kids & hounds, etc, etc, etc. I appreciate the words of encouragement and the do' and donts.

Mark, Your right! It does make the spending much easier. I wish you the best of luck on what you are working on with your spouse.

Animal, I'm actually thinking of buying a used snow coach of some sort for the kids just so we can all do this together. What kind do you have? I'm looking at the Equinox.

Tony, yea my wife is not a cold weather lover but she does love snow. I know......it sounds weird.

Anyway, I hope things go well and she has an excellent time and wants to do it again. Hopefully, and I'm going to push this hard, the Buff trail opens and I can get her out for a day's ride to get her a little prepared for our UP trip. I check the buff trail report almost daily Tony so report something good for us here that are waiting to get out and throw some snow around. Thanks guy's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good UP trip and some deep snow for the Buffalo trail. OK.............back to snow dancing! LOL!

Safe riding sled freaks!

Mike

·
Registered
262 Posts
:snowfall:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good luck and have a great trip. I am in the same boat. I`m trying to get my wife into sleding. I did not want to go spend a bunch of $ on gear to find out she would only wear it once, so i bought some thing her and my oldest daughter could wear. My daughter is starting to get hooked and wants to go ride with me when ever I go around here. Hope I get my wife into it, wish me luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can see why your daughter is getting hooked. Just take a look at your sled. It is friggin' WICKWED looking! Cheers !

I've been with my wife for 13 years now and I honestly think there is a glimmer of hope that she is going to like trail riding sleds. Eventually I'd like to get her into some back country riding too. Baby steps though.

Safe riding!

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts