Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I'm new here, and also show everyone the two vintage sleds that I have.

Both of these were my dads, and I took them after he passed. I have a 1975 Rupp F/A Nitro 440, and a 1978 Yamaha Exciter 440. The Rupp has never run as long as I've been alive. I've ridden the Yamaha a few times, but it's been a long time. My ultimate goal is to get them both running and go up to Michigan, as I've never been on a proper trail ride.

Enjoy the pics!

Matt

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,236 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum. We have a great knowledgeable group of people here. I am a vintage sled fan. Im a polaris tx fan. All tx's. I own a 1980 polaris TX-L.That is a sweet Rupp you have there. I would be proud to own that. Restore that sled, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Nice sleds, welcome to HCS. Keep us updated as work progresses on them. I have 3 Kawasaki Invaders, a 73 Rupp Sport and a John Deere Sprintfire

·
HCS Ambassador
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
4,016 Posts
Welcome ! I too have a Antique pile of fun! It's a 1980 Blizzard 7500+. Mine runs and I took it to a show / fun event this year for the first time. It was a BLAST and i would highly recommend going to one. The other guys welcomed me right into the crowd. Even trying to get me to come to a bunch of other shows they were having a month and two later. Well worth the time and effort.

Steve IMG_0872.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the positivity everyone! I have a couple questions. First, what's a good way to get rid of that corrosion on the engine parts, as seen on the number plate and such? And second, does anyone have a good resource for parts for older sleds?

Matt

·
Super Moderator
36,523 Posts
Thanks for all the positivity everyone! I have a couple questions. First, what's a good way to get rid of that corrosion on the engine parts, as seen on the number plate and such? And second, does anyone have a good resource for parts for older sleds?

Matt
Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Welcome to the site. Those are 2 very nice sleds to have. The Yamaha looks like you could just add gas and go. It’s in nice shape and those were very dependable sleds. The Rupp is a real collector sled. I always loved the looks of them and they are pretty performance oriented. Similar engine setup to the old Merc Snowtwisters. I had a 75 340 Twister and had lots of fun with it. To answer your question on revitalizing the Rupp I’d look on the internet for different ways guys use to clean them up. There are lots of different methods so you might get some ideas that are to your liking. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
2005 polaris 700 XC-SP F/O & 1980 Polaris TX-L
1,236 Posts

Matt
For new aftermarket parts. Dennis kirk & hi performance engineering ( hiperf.com ). Are good sources. As for used oem, there is a big salvage yard here in wisconsin called arts parts. 715-288-6863. They ship also. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get ahold of Bill "Elvis" Stull for help with that Rupp. He is on Facebook or vintagesleds.com
Thanks for the info. I just sent him a message on facebook. For fuel, would I run these on premium? I know the Rupp will need a lead additive, and to be mixed with oil obviously.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome. The guys on this sight have helped me, and many others, new to the sport. I don't think you'll need a lead additive. The Rupp is way cool. I've got 5 sleds from '93-'01; they're addictive!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Back in the day they recommended 20-1 oil ratio and 92 octane premium. But with the oil quality now I know a few guys with the same year hypersleds. They all run 40-1 and just the best premium unleaded they can get. I don’t know any that add lead. I had a 75 Merc 340 twister as I mentioned. Right from the start I ran 40-1 and unleaded premium without any motor or run issues. Not a Rupp but it had a Kholer 340 free air engine.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Not sure if it still in print. But there used to be a vintage snowmobile magazine that had lots of good vendor ads and how to articles. They also had a good website with forsake sections and so forth.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I know the Rupp will need a lead additive, and to be mixed with oil obviously.
Not true. On a two stroke engine with no valves or valve seats for face contact lubrication having lead in the fuel is a useless waste. It provides nothing for hard face needed contact lubrication. It was originally in fuels for that and to raise octane levels by the use of tetraethyl lead. we have high octane unleaded fuels that can do just fine. If you even look at aviation fuel such as 100 Low Lead, it has practically very little lead as compared to the fuels when that machine came out. Just use unleaded premium.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I don't have any vintage iron (although my 800 triple is pretty close😁) but I'm the first in line to check one out when I see it. Those are two fine looking sleds. I can't wait to see pics of them all shined up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just sent him a message on facebook. For fuel, would I run these on premium? I know the Rupp will need a lead additive, and to be mixed with oil obviously.
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I'm new here, and also show everyone the two vintage sleds that I have.

Both of these were my dads, and I took them after he passed. I have a 1975 Rupp F/A Nitro 440, and a 1978 Yamaha Exciter 440. The Rupp has never run as long as I've been alive. I've ridden the Yamaha a few times, but it's been a long time. My ultimate goal is to get them both running and go up to Michigan, as I've never been on a proper trail ride.

Enjoy the pics!

Matt View attachment 2102755 View attachment 2102756 View attachment 2102757 View attachment 2102758

·
Registered
291 Posts
i'm thinking the yamaha is a 1979 thomefan.i had that same sled. bulletproof for its time and lots of power for a fan sled.. enjoy my friend.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Exciter is a 1979, which is a good thing. The suspension was improved and it had a larger gas tank that year. 1980 was the last year for the Exciters. Very light weight and fast sled. Faster across a lake than 1990 400 Indy, but really unstable in comparison with the old leaf spring front end. Have come across a couple of nice used ones over the years that I passed on. Wish I had room to store a couple of vintage sleds. Yamahas were nice back then with oil injection and rubber tracks. Most of the old Polaris and Arctic Cats had cleated tracks that were treacherous on ice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts