Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i didn't want to buy another trailer so this is what i came up with, works very well but is a little heavy, i built it overkill but, it does have to hold me (250ish) and the sled (565ish) .
i have to do some engineering and see how i can cable and spring it to assist in closing it.
the only thing i want to do is rig up a couple of safety chains that will go into the box anchors (lower corners inside box). I don't have to worry about taking it off and on because once we get snow again it will stay on until i "need" to take it off. almost forgot, i only have about 125 bucks worth of steel in it too. I built it off a drop reciever so i could haul a two place trailer as well in case the need ever arises.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Nice job! looks heavy, how hard is it to get it into the hitch? Does it move around when your driving?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as long as you have it pinned together when taking it in and out it goes into the hitch pretty easy, i'm not worried about weight as i have firestone airbags on my truck...LOL
it does move around a little , mostly side to side but i think that will be stabelized once i do the safety chains or bungy's. i figure no matter how heavy it is , the hitch is rated for 7 thousand pounds or so, i don't think no matter how much it could move it won't compare to the weight and stress put on the hitch by a large camper or boat or any other trailer. we'll see how it handles real world applications over time, we just need some snow!

thanks for the cudo's guys

p.s. i know you can't see them in the picture but it is pinned so not to unfoald until you pull the two pins, i'll take some closeups of that tomorrow.

·
Registered
428 Posts
ok, so i didn't want to buy another trailer so this is what i came up with, works very well but is a little heavy, i built it overkill but, it does have to hold me (250ish) and the sled (565ish) .
i have to do some engineering and see how i can cable and spring it to assist in closing it.
the only thing i want to do is rig up a couple of safety chains that will go into the box anchors (lower corners inside box). I don't have to worry about taking it off and on because once we get snow again it will stay on until i "need" to take it off. almost forgot, i only have about 125 bucks worth of steel in it too. I built it off a drop reciever so i could haul a two place trailer as well in case the need ever arises.

[/b]
looks cool,,, nice blue atv too ,,, lol :D

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
, i'm not worried about weight as i have firestone airbags on my truck...LOL[/b]
Ho wmuch were those?? I have an 05 silverado and was thinking about adding another rear leaf, how do these air bags work, and how much $$$, and do they inflate from the inside, or do you need an external pump?? Thanks.........

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the airbags you can find on line for around 270 bucks, two or three bolts on each side, they basicaly sit (clamped), on the leaf spring, a bracket bolted to the frame, very nice quality , i have mine plumbed to the bumper so i have to inflate with air comp. in reality they only hold about a pint of air and a bicycle pump would work, you can get in dash controls with an onboard air compressor but it was a lot more money, you have to run 10psi all the time anyway. they come in two sizes, 3000# and 5000# , i used the 3k , my truck is only a 1/2 ton. max psi is 100.
they make a HUGE difference in the ride quality too, after all, you will be riding on air!
here's a pic with 85psi in them, i hauled this to PA this fall, i figure i was hauling around 8000# hard to see in the pic but that camper is 8' long so my tailgate is down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts