Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, there are tons of "my setup" posts. But if someone could please give me some insight to this:

I have currently:

10-66's
Al/Blue primary
SLP single
Jetting stock
Boyesen reeds (just the reed petals)
1.25" ripsaw

I am looking to add:

(remove) shelf and horn in airbox
Add tempaflow
Add my PERC kit (R-12 helix)
96 studs

I am roughly 230-240 with all gear on..more when packed for a week long ride.

Is this gonna be good!? Are the 10-66s too heavy? Thanks alot..... :beerchug: :div20:

Edit: Is it safe as far as snow ingestion is concerned to run without the shelf and horn but have the filters in the cowling installed? Also, I usually dont see anything below -20 degF .... maybe a -25 deg morning once in the season @ approx 800 ft above sealevel.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,148 Posts
Leave airbox alone! drop mains 1-2 sizes, go back to 10-64 grams

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why leave the box alone? Whats wrong if I take out the shelf and horn...?

My plugs and wash look great with the stock jetting and SLP pipe..reeds etc...

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
more then likely RD is right 10-66 may put you around 7750~7800 rpm....... your close on your jetting , with a gutted box it will need to drop a size on the main. I have a RTK head , gutted box, full slp single, tempaflow , VF3 reeds , 440 mains...... on cold days it pulls 8000RPM with 10-66 , 140-330 Ti spring , red/blue , 70-44.46 er helix with 24/41 gears. I think a combo of less spring and more weight you will end up about 200 rpm short of the target, its worth a try some 700 run better then others!

·
15,148 Posts
Originally posted by snowman04976@Sep 6 2005, 12:57 PM
Why leave the box alone?  Whats wrong if I take out the shelf and horn...? 

My plugs and wash look great with the stock jetting and SLP pipe..reeds etc...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=862707
[/quote]

you loose midrange for very miniscule gain on top

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
<<<Why leave the box alone? Whats wrong if I take out the shelf and horn...? >>>

Some have mentioned the better possibility of snow ingestion causing square (cold) seize running this way also.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info fellas.. I will leave the box alone, it sounds a bit too risky and I wouldnt want to lose much mid.

As for the clutching, Is there actually one change I could make to the primary and one to the secondary? I.e. keep the 10-66 & change spring for vice versa? How about keep R-12 and change spring?? Thanks again-
:beerchug:

Edit: Racerdave/Micha- have there been any cases of snow ingestion other than just the increased possiblility? Dave has you seen or heard of anyone dynoing the before and after of just the gutted box? Maybe the SLP kit would be better.....

I am not doubting you guys, just asking what and where you heard it.... Cheers.. :beerchug:

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Saw some posts in the 800VES group regarding the potential for it last winter. Forget who it was. Difficult to prove with the quirky nature of the '02 XC8. My own thinking is that the shelf isn't costing that much, you stand very little to gain by removing it (unless maybe a sled used for racing only?). If you can swish the air around inside it a little, you stand a better chance of getting air only by time it reaches the carbs. Your call.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Leave the shelf in and add another tube to the space between the 2 original tubes. Put the large moutn opening in it from SLP. This is the best we have found to work in all areas on a sled with am aftermarket pipe

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
i ran my 03 pro 7 without shelf all one year no probs. dyno showed a 6 horse gain with it out.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by polarisguru@Sep 7 2005, 04:37 PM
Leave the shelf in and add another tube to the space between the 2 original tubes. Put the large moutn opening in it from SLP. This is the best we have found to work in all areas on a sled with am aftermarket pipe
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=864481
[/quote]

when you say tubes do you mean the horn? I only have one horn in my 03 700. :dunno:

·
15,148 Posts
Originally posted by snowman04976@Sep 6 2005, 10:39 AM
I know, there are tons of "my setup" posts.  But if someone could please give me some insight to this:

I have currently:

10-66's
Al/Blue primary
SLP single
Jetting stock
Boyesen reeds (just the reed petals)
1.25" ripsaw

I am looking to add:

(remove) shelf and horn in airbox
Add tempaflow
Add my PERC kit (R-12 helix)
96 studs

I am roughly 230-240 with all gear on..more when packed for a week long ride. 

Is this gonna be good!?  Are the 10-66s too heavy? Thanks alot..... :beerchug:  :div20:

Edit:  Is it safe as far as snow ingestion is concerned to run without the shelf and horn but have the filters in the cowling installed?  Also, I usually dont see anything below -20 degF .... maybe a -25 deg morning once in the season @ approx 800 ft above sealevel.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=862553
[/quote]

getting back to your original post, you can't run perc with a r-12 helix

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The 10-66's load the 700 pretty hard.

When it is cold ( Like nearly all last year) sea level, hardpack, my 03700ves with the SLP single pulled the 66's well @ 8000 right on the money and was very fast.
I am 200lb suited up, it was %#@$* cold last year, and flat land hard pack cond.
Anything like warmer weather, deep snow or climbing and the 66's ended up pulling down the rpm and running soft.

I think with your size and the almond/blue spring you will be too heavy on the primary unless the conditions are perfect.

I would run 10-64 with that setup for all around riding.
Like I said though, if it is very cold and you are riding @ sea level on hardpack she will pull them, and with authority too!

IMO I would dump the almond blue period. I really liked using the Polaris almond ( 140/330). It worked great with the 66's

Your secondary will have a big effect here too don't forget.
It isn't clear what you are planning on running with your PERC setup?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I was talking to a well informed tuner yesterday and he says the 64 gram bellybuster weights are awsome. Apparently they give a big midrange kick, but cost big bucks.

·
15,148 Posts
Originally posted by Thinksno@Sep 7 2005, 08:22 PM
I was talking to a well informed tuner yesterday and he says the 64 gram bellybuster weights are awsome. Apparently they give a big midrange kick, but cost big bucks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=864879
[/quote]

I heard they are hard on belts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
racerdave

Quote:getting back to your original post, you can't run perc with a r-12 helix

Actually the perc kit for a xc comes with a pol roller sec, R-12 helix Cut for perc,.
i know ,i have one .. Piece of $hit as far as im concerned..
i had a 50-34 SLP FP helix cut for perc ,far better
going to the team this year

·
15,148 Posts
OK, I didn't know the Poo roller helix used the same letter/number codes as the button helix

1 - 18 of 18 Posts