Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,here's my first and 3rd set of exhaust valves from my 02 xc800.
The set to the left is the stock valves, they lasted for around 3500 miles, 1500 of those with a SLP single. Not too shabby. But luckily I caught them before anything more was hurt.
Let my dealer fix'em, and they put in a set of the 03 valves. Which lasted around 500 miles before the PTO one was stuck. Back to the dealer and they put in yet another set. TWhich lasted around 500 miles. This time the PTO valve simply broke off and dropped down on the piston. Ouch!
(BTW,all valves are warped, but always seems like its the PTO valve that eventually goes...)

edit: fixed pic link

·
Registered
342 Posts
What kind of dealer do you have? I had an 04 pro x 800 slp piped, ported and ran about 6000 miles with the updated STAINLESS valves. Only issue I had was a bellow split. Your dealer should be aware of the updated valves for the 800 motors. If not do a search on this forum, there are numerous posts on the topic.

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was back in 05. I rebuilt the engine myself and put in the Ti valves with green/yellow springs.
Almost 4000 trouble free miles on those now.
And yeah, my dealer is pretty clueless, one of the grease-monkeys even lied to me...! :cussing: Needless to say, they havent touched any of my sleds since then.

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New addition to the collection - noticed black sludge coming out of the MAG side ex.valve housing. Pulled the exhaust assy and found this: A Ti valve - looks like they can break too. Peeked down in the valve slot - no damage to the piston! Time to order up SS valves for the ol'gal.

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
while at it, valves from a coworkers 03 800 Classic Touring. No damage to pistons here either...

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what I think. Lots of miles on them.
I also ran many 1000 miles with TPS turned down to 3.9, last year I put it back up to 4.0V to get some mileage back. I believe higher TPC voltage is harder on the valves when putting around in the midrange. (which we have to do a lot when riding in poor visibility / crappy conditions)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts