Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the other threads on this forum regarding the mission helmet and I was due for a new full face helmet. I normally use a MX style with googles but since I have been going on longer trips that are colder I wanted a new one. I tried on a few local ones but I don't have a CKX dealer near me so everything was off online information.

First, I'd like to start with the FIT. By the website it shows I am in-between Med and large. It was a no brainer to go to the large and honestly I prob could have gotten away with a XL and been fine. I am not thin by any means and have a round face. The helmet fit fine BUT the cheek pads push pretty hard on my cheeks and I will be purchasing smaller ones for next year. This is not a deal breaker by any means.

Nose fitment. I am specifically speaking of the membrane that fits across the bridge of your nose. I can see how this would bother some people but it was not a problem for me. I was able to adjust to make it comfortable

PROs
  • The AMS system works awesome. I rode in weather between 0*F and 28*F and at no time was my shield freezing. I do have the elect shield but never plugged it in
  • The amber visor worked well and never frosted over which was a big plus
  • Not too warm. it was comfortable as i wore it with a very thin balaclava and it was perfect

CONs
- The fitment chart above runs small if you have a round head
-Wind/chin skirt. This is an interesting one. In order to put helmet on that needs to be un-velcro'd and then you seal it back up after it is on but this is a chore and hard to do with gloves with your helmet strap right there. The way you do it is just leave the helmet on until you are ready to take it off. It is not a helmet you take off at a 5 min rest while waiting or chatting with friends. I guess that is why it is modular
  • When you come to a stop and open the helmet with the yellow visor down it kinda gets caught together. not a big deal but it is best if you put the yellow visor up before opening the helmet
  • I have a squeeking noise right at my ear that sounds like 2 pieces of plastic rubbing each other. I think it is the mount system where the plastic visor and the shield flip up. I think that hinge piece needs to wear in a little or needs some lithium grease. I will be looking at this more
  • I wish it was lighter - I did not get the carbon but wish I did. After a week of wearing it got heavy

OVERALL
  • Great helmet and I am very happy with the purchase
  • There are some improvements that can be made but if you like wearing full face this is a great helmet
  • I wish it were a little cheaper cost.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Perfect timing, I was just looking into possibly buying one of these for next season. I guess I should look into the carbon fibre as well.

Thank you for the great review

Jeff B In Maine

Sent via my US Cellular rotary dial device.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
By the way, I have a castle X modular 950 helmet I have been using for the past few years and it has been a very good helmet but I am always looking for something different as well.

Jeff B In Maine

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
535 Posts
By the way, I have a castle X modular 950 helmet I have been using for the past few years and it has been a very good helmet but I am always looking for something different as well.

Jeff B In Maine

I also have the Castle 950 electric and was looking at the Mission, but the more I wear the Castle the more I like it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do you find it drafty? I have had no less than 4 different modular helmets in the last 8 years and they have ALL been drafty.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
535 Posts
I would not call it drafty, that would give a negative connotation. It does vent well minimizing sweating or fogging and is quite quiet.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you find it drafty? I have had no less than 4 different modular helmets in the last 8 years and they have ALL been drafty.
I also would not consider it to be drafty simply because you can hear the air moving to the back of the helmet. It is not as quiet as my LS2 helmet which was like being in a sound proof cell but also fogged easy without the electric shield.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I forgot to mention.....

We use UClear communicators and I have the Pro Speakers the ear pockets are NOT deep enough in the Mission. I had to take to carving them a little deeper because it was smashing my ears. Part of this might be because I could have used the next bigger helmet and part is they are not deep enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was shopping for a new helmet and wanted to try the Mission. I tried one on at local shop and couldn’t get the shield to completely shut with bare hands. Decided not to get it. Instead I ordered a CKX titan with electric goggles. Super glad I did. With every vent closed off with ear plugs, stayed perfectly warm riding at 5 degrees a couple weekends ago. CKX makes good stuff.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Excellent review and I really wanted the Mission to work for me but I just couldn’t get the breath deflector adjusted properly...sent it back and ordered a CKX Titan which I love. 👊🏻🇺🇸

·
Registered
188 Posts
I really like my Mission. I had the same experience with fit. They run a little small. I had to go up a size to be comfortable because I wear prescription glasses and the size I thought fit was too tight once I put my glasses on. Luckily I was at my local dealer who had both great pricing and a large Mission selection. I too have the electric shield, Maybe I'll use it if we get some freezing rain. It is a PIA to put on and I second not taking it off for those 5 mins. rest, chat stops. We're using Fomoto communicators and there's plenty of room in the ear pockets for the speakers. My glasses do not fog! I leave the shield cracked a bit for a couple hundred feet after those rest stops and then snap it closed. No balaclava, just a neck tube and I don't find it cold.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Love my mission. Going on my second season with it. I ordered smaller cheek pads and it was perfect after that. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts