Hardcore Sledder banner

My first sled 03 pro x 700

18K views 96 replies 18 participants last post by  Joshtech1020 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 1 owner all stock 2003 pro x 700

Replaced very few parts so far , starts 1 pull , Very little cleaning so far
early this week ordered 420 mains , 10-64 belly busters , venom red primary 140/320 , black 155/222 secondary ccw, 3 delrin washers , 24 top gear
I’m 165# and will be riding trail and lake , hopefully this will be a good setup
I did locate a 68-44-.46 /. 52-42f helix but didn’t order not sure if it will work
I have done a bunch of reading here I have a lot to still go through and ck
any help and info would be appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
Has 3k original miles ,just over 150 psi each cylinder cold , I will be riding about 500’-2000’ , and will be riding with brother-in-laws
2004 f7 Stock
2005 t660. Stock
2006 apex stock
2006 apex. Stock
2007 apex mpi supercharged ummmmm lots done to it

any help to be able to keep up , possibly beat any of them

#3 ·
Has 3k original miles ,just over 150 psi each cylinder cold , I will be riding about 500’-2000’ , and will be riding with brother-in-laws
2004 f7 Stock
2005 t660. Stock
2006 apex stock
2006 apex. Stock
2007 apex mpi supercharged ummmmm lots done to it

any help to be able to keep up , possibly beat any of them
Only sled your guarantee to beat is that 660 4 stroke cat. Those apex's stock are 150 hp, and go pretty good as long as their studded well. As for the f7 cat? Just hope you run one its owner has no clue to its setup.

#5 ·
Not trying to preach here but if its your first Sled the last thing you should be worried about is racing and beating them. Get some seat time. But depending on where you are riding a 700 can keep up or be faster than an Apex in the twisties no problem, but on an open lake or field you will get gapped, Apexs are top end kings. With that particular Sled id personally be more worried about suspension setup and traction. In the tight woods trails Apexs suck. A proper 600 can be ahead with a good rider.

#13 ·
I agree even a new rider will put nearly all those sleds to shame riding the prox on trails...those others are trail cruisers with the f7 mainly just a drag sled. A friend of my had an 03 700 prox just the same as the op's. Bone stock my 03 600 was only a sled behind it in a 1000' drag run. Their not that fast for drag racing. What they do well is make short work of tight trails. The op may have some issues being a lighter rider as these sleds as they have fairly aggressive suspension. I'm 200 lbs in gear....i rode the prox, it rode much harsher than my xc 600. Imo, stock this sled isn't the best for long rides.

#15 ·
Get all your free horsepower! Align clutches, check motor mounts, I broke mine in my 02 700 Edge X. Align track and check ski toe out. Boyesen Rage Cages make them snappy too! I would make one change at a time. Helix, then gears. As stated above, take your time and learn your masheen. Don’t ride outside your skill level. Sometimes riding in back watching everyone over shoot turns etc you can learn a lot about yourself and your sled. I have been riding for over 30 years and when I got my 850, I did the same. Start at the back, get used to it, then pass em one by one. Cheers

#16 ·
Nice sled. I had several trail converted 440s back in the day, put lots of miles on them. The 700s were geared pretty tall stock, so something to be gained "corner to corner" by gearing down a little. Agree that you aren't going to beat any of those other sleds on the lake, but there is some improvement to be made. Jetting was very conservative, so that is one place to look. Make sure the TPS is set correctly also - lots of them weren't. Clutch alignment is another area to look. Engine torque stops were a popular add-on and check the engine mounts carefully. The front PTO side mount likes to separate and leaves the engine flopping around. Go through the suspension and have the shocks serviced if they haven't been. The ride will be "firm", but you can blast through rough stuff that will have those other sleds slowing to a crawl - except "maybe" the F7. There are a couple additional engine performance things you can do to help, but concentrate on the "basics" first.

#17 ·
I owned a 03 pro x 800 with everything slp had to offer on it-single pipe,,, I very much so agree with evilbird!! Go easy if thats your first sled please!! that machines pretty seriouse out of the box, spend some time to understand and learn the machine before worrying abought racing, you do not need to do anything or spend any money to run those sleds in the woods! ,,They can outrun you on a lake blast let em go but the rougher the terrain the more the pro x will flat ass kill them sleds. Its a snow x sled... Bad machine corner to corner and whooped out trails. Ide put c and a skies on it. Keep your races short and it will run with anything. Kool sled i miss mine!! Be carefull!!

#19 ·
On any trail rougher than table top groomed those apex's are like a wounded rhino on them. You should have no issues with that sled, even a fuji 500 xc can out run a stock apex on a rough trail. As far as a smooth lake or big meadows your toast.
Imo, when a newbie rider, they should learn to ride a smaller displacement sled to it fullest before moving up.

#20 ·
excellent sled i had a 04 7 and 8 not sure about 7 but my 8 i ran 2002 needles and jetting check 2002 700 carb needles was not as fat ran much crisper my 700 was stock except jetting was a back up was very dependable but didnt go crazy like my 8 will need to reinforce bulkhead and install torque arm and push arm to keep clutches lined up clean power valves and check port holes check tps setting check motor mounts gear may give alittle lower end but these sleds are a little slow on top already and fuel mileage will drop and the sleds you are ridding with are all grate on fuel especially the f7 have fun and enjoy dont worry your revenge will be evident in the bumps and turns as i still grin at the pack

#24 ·
Doubt very much going from a straight rate 160# spring to a 150/175# rate you'll notice much of anything. Its too bad the prox front torque arm doesn't have a 2nd top shock mounting bracket like the edge front torque arm where the shock can be mounted to lay more forward giving the sled a softer ride, and better handling for lighter riders. you combine that with a dual spring setup of the right rate springs, and re-valve the shock to comply, you'll have a nice riding sled plus it'll handle even better on the trails. Not everyone wants a suspension for snocross unless thats the plan.

#22 ·
I still have a 03 pro x 700, one thing that I would do, if it hasn’t been done for a couple of years is have all of you’re shocks serviced, most people don’t take care of there shocks, fresh oil and a fresh charge is a good way to start the year! Also make sure all of you’re suspension fasteners are tight, not just the tunnel fastener but all of the rail one too! These sleds are tough but need maintenance! Enjoy!

Reactions: Joshtech1020
#23 ·
Checked all bolts on rear skid yesterday all are tight , the edge fts spring didn’t show up yet , took 14 turns out of front ski springs and about the same on the fts to get about 1/4 inch preload ( they were really cranked up ) I did do the roller mod to the rear springs and adjuster on high ( now I only pull it up about 1/2 inch after getting off sled , still needs rear springs replaced ,

#25 ·
thought I read somewhere. Think it was ( alsled ) said the edge 150/175 progressive spring don’t get scared by the #s. It actually works out to about 80 something up to 175 , Will try it once I get it , hope it works out , but worse case will try to find think it was a 120# straight everyone was going to

#43 ·
Be careful ordering helix's from slp. They test a lot at higher elevations and in deep snow conditions. What works great there, never worked optimum here in southern new england on our groomed trails. I've noticed their now recommending the same clutch setup when converting to a tied driven for the older ves carb xc 600's i've been running for years.

#32 ·
trying To put together a perc setup fo it , read a bunch here about it. , found some of the parts just not 100% if they are correct, prox700 build date 10/9/02 , noticed when I changed the tach bulbs that it has the wire for where the perc/reverse light would be ,tach just doesn’t say reverse , thinking hood wiring doesn’t need changing ?????, can I just change the short harness from cdi ????
is list below correct ???

4010874. Perc button
4010872. Edge/rmk cdi perc harness
or
4010811 Edge/rmk cdi perc harness
or
4010661. 2003 edge classic 500/700 cdi perc harness
4010987. Cdi Was told it’s a 2003 700 Xc/prox cdi with perc nos

or would it be easier to get all the stuff for a 04 with det and if so could I connect the det and just wrap it up not connected to motor , or just find a spot and bolt it to motor ????

thank you for any help

#37 ·
You will run into some snags with PERC because some of the parts aren't all that available anymore. The '03 sleds didn't come with PERC, it was available as an accessory kit. The '04+ sleds came with it, but had DET. The only parts you REALLY need are a PERC CDI and harness for it, plus a reverse button. A reverse compatible oil pump would be good as well. The original pump will pump oil "backward" if run backward. If I recall right, the hood wiring is OK, but the harness under the engine is short a wire to operate the "reverse" lamp in the guages. I've strung the "extra" wire through the corrugated loom and patched into the connector at the base of the hood. For the reverse button, you can use the one from the kit if it is available. Another option is to dig in the race forums and see if anyone has a "dragon" button available from an IQR. Same style button, just have to patch wires into the right places on the chassis harness.

Regarding what parts you could use, I think your numbers above are OK. For CDI, another option is the 700 SKS/RMK - 4010989.

#33 · (Edited)
I put in perc on my gf's 2003 xc800. Found a kit on ebay, cdi / harness / roller sec.clutch and left handlebar switch assy,

edit: confused this with another thread. You sled should have a roller clutch already.

also, if I'm not mistaken , the rmk's got a slightly different timing curve than the xc/pro-x...?

#34 ·
If you can hold off a day or so I can get you probably all the part numbers you need, I keep all the paperwork for my sleds, I installed the kit so I should have all the part numbers to hunt for!

#39 ·
Yes, the 4010987 is the CDI used in the Pro-X and XC kits. I was mentioning the RMK/SKS CDI as another option. Some of these components aren't going to be available from Polaris. The only option may be the used market, ebay or similar. He may have to take what he can get...

FYI for everyone: I did make an error in my previous post. The 700/800 engines in '03 already had the PERC compatible oil pumps. The 500/600 were the engines that didn't. My bad....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.