Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 1 owner all stock 2003 pro x 700

Replaced very few parts so far , starts 1 pull , Very little cleaning so far
early this week ordered 420 mains , 10-64 belly busters , venom red primary 140/320 , black 155/222 secondary ccw, 3 delrin washers , 24 top gear
I’m 165# and will be riding trail and lake , hopefully this will be a good setup
I did locate a 68-44-.46 /. 52-42f helix but didn’t order not sure if it will work
I have done a bunch of reading here I have a lot to still go through and ck
any help and info would be appreciated

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has 3k original miles ,just over 150 psi each cylinder cold , I will be riding about 500’-2000’ , and will be riding with brother-in-laws
2004 f7 Stock
2005 t660. Stock
2006 apex stock
2006 apex. Stock
2007 apex mpi supercharged ummmmm lots done to it

any help to be able to keep up , possibly beat any of them

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only sled your guarantee to beat is that 660 4 stroke cat. Those apex's stock are 150 hp, and go pretty good as long as their studded well. As for the f7 cat? Just hope you run one its owner
Only sled your guarantee to beat is that 660 4 stroke cat. Those apex's stock are 150 hp, and go pretty good as long as their studded well. As for the f7 cat? Just hope you run one its owner has no clue to its setup.
hoping It helps that I’m 80-100 pounds less then all 3 brother-in-laws

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
R
Not trying to preach here but if its your first Sled the last thing you should be worried about is racing and beating them. Get some seat time. But depending on where you are riding a 700 can keep up or be faster than an Apex in the twisties no problem, but on an open lake or field you will get gapped, Apexs are top end kings. With that particular Sled id personally be more worried about suspension setup and traction. In the tight woods trails Apexs suck. A proper 600 can be ahead with a good rider.
reading as much as I can on suspension setup past few days , still a lot to learn , never ending

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your prox should leave all those sleds behind in the rougher trails. It’s much more capable than any of those others. Is your secondary clutch splined or is it still keyd in that year ? If it’s keyd. You can get anold button clutch for the rear which you will give up backshift but makes for a faster sled.
It’s keyed. Just installed the clutch parts today , tomorrow jets, and the upper gear , and start looking at the suspension

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has 3k original miles ,just over 150 psi each cylinder cold , I will be riding about 500’-2000’ , and will be riding with brother-in-laws
2004 f7 Stock
2005 t660. Stock
2006 apex stock
2006 apex. Stock
2007 apex mpi supercharged ummmmm lots done to it

any help to be able to keep up , possibly beat any of them
I miss typed. What I ment to say is , if the sled I able to keep up , or possibly beat any of them , Sleds capability , Not mine (way to much to learn)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Checked all bolts on rear skid yesterday all are tight , the edge fts spring didn’t show up yet , took 14 turns out of front ski springs and about the same on the fts to get about 1/4 inch preload ( they were really cranked up ) I did do the roller mod to the rear springs and adjuster on high ( now I only pull it up about 1/2 inch after getting off sled , still needs rear springs replaced ,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
thought I read somewhere. Think it was ( alsled ) said the edge 150/175 progressive spring don’t get scared by the #s. It actually works out to about 80 something up to 175 , Will try it once I get it , hope it works out , but worse case will try to find think it was a 120# straight everyone was going to

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
trying To put together a perc setup fo it , read a bunch here about it. , found some of the parts just not 100% if they are correct, prox700 build date 10/9/02 , noticed when I changed the tach bulbs that it has the wire for where the perc/reverse light would be ,tach just doesn’t say reverse , thinking hood wiring doesn’t need changing ?????, can I just change the short harness from cdi ????
is list below correct ???

4010874. Perc button
4010872. Edge/rmk cdi perc harness
or
4010811 Edge/rmk cdi perc harness
or
4010661. 2003 edge classic 500/700 cdi perc harness
4010987. Cdi Was told it’s a 2003 700 Xc/prox cdi with perc nos

or would it be easier to get all the stuff for a 04 with det and if so could I connect the det and just wrap it up not connected to motor , or just find a spot and bolt it to motor ????

thank you for any help

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
thank you for your help , from what I can find it looks like I could do it without the main harness , looks like the harness in the kit has 1 or 2 extra plugs , I would have to run 1 or 2 wires from new mini harness too hood wiring for light , and to switch

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Be careful ordering helix's from slp. They test a lot at higher elevations and in deep snow conditions. What works great there, never worked optimum here in southern new england on our groomed trails. I've noticed their now recommending the same clutch setup when converting to a tied driven for the older ves carb xc 600's i've been running for years.
I have heard this ,but didn’t think it would make any difference on a helix

1 - 20 of 41 Posts