Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding on the few trails still open in the Buffalo area today. Ride went very well. I have the ski lift and handeling pretty well taken care of. Sled still darts...but I guess I have to live with it. Anyway......I get back to my house and look over the sled....I heard some kind of a clicking noise before I parked it . I put it up on a stand and hit the throttle....everything sounded OK. I jumped on the sled and went into the field across the road....thats when the shit hit the fan. I jumped the snowdrift on the side of the road and landed in the field ....the track locked up as I landed and I almost went over the handlebars!!!! Engine was still revving, but sled was not moving. I'm pretty sure I snapped the chain or secondary shaft!!!!! Coulld have spit FIRE at this point!!I shut the sled off and got on the phone with the dealer. Good thing is they sent someone over within 30 minutes to pick it up and take it to the dealer for repairs. Shocked the hell out of me!! The sled was about 30 yards off the road in about 3' of snow, and the guys dragged it to the road and loaded it up on their trailer just like that. Dealer said they would look at it ASAP....guessing tomorrow sometime. Not yet sure the exact damage....chain case was still in one piece....so I'm guessing the chain is the culprit. I'll update as I get info. :wacko: :blink: :(

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No motor problems.....knock on wood!!!!! This is really the first major problem I've had.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had just accellerated to jump the sled into the field....so I would say I was on the throttle!

·
Registered
827 Posts
bummer, keep us posted

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
you got it sledhead88
thats what i was getting at, especially if snow was marginal, track could not slip on landing, t-cats were notorious for broken chains, at least my buddy's t-cat was!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
who cares what happened ! :p with a dealer like that im sure they will get it fixed asap ! be happy you have such a great dealer !

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thing is, the dealer I have is a real prick!! There are alot of people who will not deal with him....he is known as "Retail Terry"Never budges on prices...usually sells every new sled at retail and is high on used sled prices also. This is the third sled I have bought from him and the second sled I've had to take back a number of times for repairs.I had a '98 zr600 that kept snapping front shocks at the plunger...guess that was an engineering problem in that year because they were inverted the next year. Anyway,he called cat and got them to replace 2 of the 3 I broke,and the sled was 2 years old when I bought it. Then the clutch broke and he got Cat to pay 50% for that repair. I guess that is why I stick with Cat....good customer service. This is the first time the dealer offered to come and pick up my sled for a repair......I think he knows how aggrivated I've been having to take this sled back and forth to him to get the recalled parts put in and getting the damn thing to turn without sitting on the tank. I've also thrown a pick out of the track,had it replaced,and it is gone again. Pick actually ripped out,so now there is a good sized rip in my track. I have a feeling that particular spot in the track will never hold a pick again.The hole in that spot is too big.I have a call in to Cat customer service and I'm waiting for the call back....assuming it will be a few days...I'm sure they are getting alot of calls with these sleds.I've done that same jump into the field across the road many times and have never had the chain snap before. I hope this sled isn't going to be a reliability problem now. I want to see if Cat will pay the difference between my sled and trading in for a zr900. If not,I would at LEAST like an extended 1 or 2 year warranty from Cat for this mess!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here in PA we have the State Attorney General's Office to deal with the Lemon Law, but it only applies to motor vehicles, ie,.. no ATV' or sleds, so you might want to check with the AG's office(Bureau of Consumer Protection) if you don't get help from your dealer

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know the dealer will cover this under warranty...I'ts just the lost time on the snow that pisses me off the most!!!We have great trail conditions here now and have more lake effect on the way for the weekend and 20 degree highs for a while!!

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Originally posted by Slider79@Jan 8 2003, 09:46 PM
man didn`t you blow a motor too? whats the lemon law in NY here in MN 3 strikes your out.
That was another guy name Sabercat. I thought the same thing at first. If it was the same guy, and it wa sme, I would go through the roof!!!

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Team Arctic, if the local media keeps ripping the Sabres for everything they try to do with the financing, they will be gone. :(

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Sabrecat F7, did the dealer do the update for the rail end cap? That clicking could have been the slider catching on the track clips if the cap fell off. It might have speared the track when you landed. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts